Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Bills

Options
  • 11-02-2009 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Has anyone else thought that their latest gas bill outrageously more expensive.
    Its just that I thought the Bord Gais and ESB got their latest request for a charge increase rejected, so why does it seem more expensive?
    Anyone have any info?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Is this an economics question, or an extension of the Joe Duffy debates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

My last gas bill was for €264, which was a little more than I would have liked(but that was estimated). My ESB was €151, which wasn't too bad at all,especially over christmas.

On Joe Scruffy, people were on about 700,800,900 euro bills...maybe there is a glitch in the system, who knows? Not Joe Scruffy anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bubblesxxx

Totally agree, just got a bill for 460!!! That just cant be right

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

People were ranting on Joe Duffy about the amount of their bills. A bill has two things the volume and the price per unit. If it is higher than last year then it either reflects more usage or the higher price per unit. The usage figure may well be up owing to colder weather or it may be a meter misreading. Yet there was rant after rant with little discussion of the actual number of units used, people seemed to be quicker to ring Joe Duffy than compare the bill with the meter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

My bill was €10 lower for the same period last year, at €91 for 2 months :D. The rates did go up in the latter part of 2008 though, and I would say that has accounted for some of the increase, and yes, I would say, it has more to do with the actual usage, and people not being careful. I have the thermostat set at 20, and I have found that is comfortable for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Discussion about it here last week (search, ten seconds) Gas bills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

It's very...convenient...for Bord gas to have estimated bills (which invariably underestimate usage) before a price increase, and then to get a proper reading at the higher price...so more units are charged at the higher price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

It's very...convenient...for Bord gas to have estimated bills (which invariably underestimate usage) before a price increase, and then to get a proper reading at the higher price...so more units are charged at the higher price.

Bang on there ..... although still doesn't explain my case of going from an average of 150-200 to 467 this time ...... and this time last year my wife was at home full time on maternity leave but not this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the ESB do the same when they have an increase they estimate the reading and it is usually wildly exaggerated

Advertisement