Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay, Perks and Privileges of Politicians

Options
  • 11-02-2009 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

There's been a lot of debate on the Public Sector vs Private Sector in this forum. However, it would appear that the pay, perks and privileges of being a politician are being largely ignored.

We are all being asked to tighten our belts. However, how credible are Brian and his team when telling us this? Is his own remuneration reasonable and appropriate? That of cabinet members? TD's and Senators? Opinions and hard information, please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It's not being ignored allot of them took a 10% pay cut, have had their expenses restricted, and apparently they are going to lose more soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

It's not being ignored allot of them took a 10% pay cut, have had their expenses restricted, and apparently they are going to lose more soon.

But that is only their basic pay. What is that pay scale and what are all the various perks and privileges not available to us ordinary mortals?

I have no inside knowledge on this one but here is some info from here, http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article5488744.ece ,to start the list going.

€100,190 basic pay. Can anyone confirm the tax treatment of this?
    €5,500 a year expenses unreceipted/untaxed.
    €61.53 daily “subsistence”, untaxed.
    €145.45, overnight allowance, unreceipted/untaxed.
    €2,745.17 to €8,782.78 constituency travel allowance, untaxed.
    €8,888.17 grant for setting up a constituency office, untaxed.
    €8,888.17-twice yearly maintenance allowance for constituency office unreceipted/untaxed
    €8,888.17-twice yearly secretarial allowance for constituency office unreceipted/untaxed

Each TD will cost the taxpayer more than €276,000 this year: an average of €110,000 in salary, €67,600 in expenses and €98,500 for secretaries.
    They must be very competent secretaries!

And this in the plain vanilla TD, so to speak, with no top-ups from the many paid positions available.
    All but 27 TDs get a minimum of €6,380 a year extra. (19 get €20,023)

Then there is the €41,152 Beverly Flynn allowance for TDs who don't have party support. unreceipted/untaxed.

Sorry, The_Minister, but suddenly that 10% cut is beginning to look somewhat paltry.

This is not the full picture, there are also pension schemes that make the normal Public Sector Pensions look like the basic Old Age Pension.
    What else is out there that we don't know about? What are the typical receipted expenses for a TD? How many have lucrative sidelines?
    What level of "Corporate Hospitality" can they accept, before they must register it?

It is simply a disgrace that public sector workers on the minimum wage are being asked to take a pay cut when TDs are getting this sort of money.
    (I know, I know, its a "levy", sorry.)
    Brian Cowen urgently needs to take control of his own backyard.
    How can he have any credibility when he is letting this go on unchecked.
    Do you agree that this is something to keep in an intense spotlight on?
    (Or am I alone in thinking this must be stopped :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hillel wrote: »
    €61.53 daily “subsistence”, untaxed.
    €145.45, overnight allowance, unreceipted/untaxed.

Just on those 2, what are the Civil Service rates?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

There's nothing like unvouched expenses to bring Opposition and Government together on a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

local papers here reckon mary coughlan takes home €450,000 a year now ok she employs 2 staff in her constituency office but even so its horrendous. i'll start taking notice of the gov ask me to sacrificxe something when they start.
    i dont think thta included their car and driver
    like you say their 10% looks pretty paltry in comparison ( i believe that was to salary only, their pension contributions stay at the higher rate)
    there is no way they justify the highest salaries on any leader in europe.
    dont forget their salaries are linked to the higher grades in the public sector so what are those guys on ?
    and what about the 600,000 pay off to the financial regulator how has he earned that ?
    i'm away a lot at the moment overnight i dont get anything apart from my hotel paid for and a dinner thats it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

K-9 wrote: »
    Just on those 2, what are the Civil Service rates?

Subsistence is about 15 euro for 5+ hours and around 30 euro for 10+ hours for public sector. Don't know about overnight allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Is it true TD's pensions are payable as soon as they leave office? They don't have to wait till retirement age?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

grahamo wrote: »
    Is it true TD's pensions are payable as soon as they leave office? They don't have to wait till retirement age?
    AFAIK Enda Kenny is on a pension atm.

The PDs tried to put a stop to that a while after they were founded, but the other parties banded together to vote it down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

AFAIK Enda Kenny is on a pension atm.

The PDs tried to put a stop to that a while after they were founded, but the other parties banded together to vote it down.

Did he leave office and then come back? so when he leaves again his pension will be increased??

Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

llot of them took a 10% pay cut

Someone posted here last week suggesting that the 10% cut was only on the ministerial top-up of their TD salary so, in effect, it's only on a small part of their overall salary. Does anyone know if that's true?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

There's been a lot of debate on the Public Sector vs Private Sector in this forum. However, it would appear that the pay, perks and privileges of being a politician are being largely ignored.

We are all being asked to tighten our belts. However, how credible are Brian and his team when telling us this? Is his own remuneration reasonable and appropriate? That of cabinet members? TD's and Senators? Opinions and hard information, please.

Pretty much... they make their own rules in effect so what do we expect.

local papers here reckon mary coughlan takes home €450,000 a year now ok she employs 2 staff in her constituency office but even so its horrendous.

There's no possible justification for someone in her position, at this time, earning so much. I've just listened to David Begg (ICTU) and Jack O'Connor (SIPTU) talking about the government being unwilling to stand up to the powerful and wealthy. How can they, when they themselves are simply creaming it off like this? (People in glass houses not throwing stones, and all that.)
    Many opportunities for serious cost reductions here. Maybe the total amount might not be that big in the context of the national debt, but it would send out the message that tough sacrifices are being asked of all - including our rich and powerful politicians. However, not a squeak from the unions on this one. They appear desperate to keep on good terms with the government parties, even to the extent of damaging their own credibility.
    No squeak either from Enda, Leo Varadkar, Eamon Gilmore, Joan Burton - or any of the other opposition TD's who are so vocal on other issues. When it come to their own selfish interests, differences are quickly settled and its one cosy little club at the top. Now that's something worth marching about. (Not the cosy club, the need to have substantial cuts in pay and perks for all politicians.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

No squeak either from Enda, Leo Varadkar, Eamon Gilmore, Joan Burton - or any of the other opposition TD's who are so vocal on other issues. When it come to their own selfish interests, differences are quickly settled and its one cosy little club at the top. Now that's something worth marching about. (Not the cosy club, the need to have substantial cuts in pay and perks for all politicians.)

I read a reply from an FG TD to an email sent by a PS worker. Their suggestions on how to save money were so laughable, it was an example of why they will NEVER get in to power.

The one plan they had would be receipted expenses. You can bet anything that that would not happen if they were in power.

Another plan was to cut 5000 PS jobs. However, they didn't state how they would go about this, or from where. Just the nice round figure of 5000.

I'd be the first to stand up and say that there is dead weight all over the PS (just like there is in large private companies), however, politicians have never shown the level of common sense to ensure that we could be confident that the right people will be let go (if any). They would go by the LIFO tact, and early retirement.

No sense in confusing themselves with actually having to think about who should be let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭thomasj

Dont forget the pension government ministers get for each department they worked in

thomasj wrote: »
    Dont forget the pension government ministers get for each department they worked in
    I don't - nice little earners, and all linked to serving deputies salaries! Meanwhile, support for pupils with special needs is being cut by €7m. (These students, truly amongst the most vulnerable in our society, were already being greatly short changed. They were moved into mainstream schools, a good idea of itself, with nothing like the level of support they needed.)

Stopping this pension scam alone, and I don't mean postponing payment, would go a long way towards saving that €7 million. Not enough? Make 6-7 serving TD's, redundant. I'm sure that a constitutionally sound means of doing this could be found. Its not like the general public wouldn't support the idea.

And still not a squeak from David Begg (ICTU), Jack O'Connor (SIPTU), Peter McLoone (IMPACT),..... about excessive pay and perks in the government sector. (Feel free to add the leader of your favourite Union to the list.) I wonder, where does their salary relativities fit into all this?
    Social solidarity, how are you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

what about teachers like enda kenny and noel dempsey to name but a few who are still being paid as teachers on top of their TD wage, not to mention jimmy devins,jim mc daid and whatever other doctors who have kept their gp wage? plus their pensions from these jobs?
    and what about the TDs and MEPs still in office but recieving state pensions?
    ALL TDs expenses should be scrapped or capped at E100 a week.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    what about teachers like enda kenny and noel dempsey to name but a few who are still being paid as teachers on top of their TD wage, not to mention jimmy devins,jim mc daid and whatever other doctors who have kept their gp wage? plus their pensions from these jobs?
    and what about the TDs and MEPs still in office but recieving state pensions?
    ALL TDs expenses should be scrapped or capped at E100 a week.

It goes on and on and on.
    The politicians are truly taking the pi$$.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

What about the Junior Minister who employs his WIFE, DAUGHTER and SON in his consituency offices

Now thats taking the piss

Daroxtar wrote: »
    what about teachers like enda kenny and noel dempsey to name but a few who are still being paid as teachers on top of their TD wage,

in fairness Kenny and Dempsey are not receiving this allowance. but the TDs are still racking up pension entitlements and also depriving two other teachers a chance to be permanent by not RESIGNING their actual teaching positions

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    What about the Junior Minister who employs his WIFE, DAUGHTER and SON in his consituency offices

name and shame please. i'll have no problem writing a nice letter for them to read. nepotism stinks.

• Advertisement

junior minister for housing. you can go figure

stamp being licked right now. the bastrd. i'll be saying a few things i wouldn't be allowed to post here!!!

send one to the constituency office so the wife will read it...

and also maybe on to the Irish Times? but tone that down a bit

"A total of 42 members of the Oireachtas have installed family members in secretarial and parliamentary assistant jobs, according to new figures obtained under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act. The posts are not publicly advertised and carry salaries of up to €45,000."

"Fianna Fail Sligo North Leitrim TD Eamon Scanlon employs his sister and his son. The posts carry salaries ranging from €22,000 to €45,000, as well as civil service-style pension rights. Nine of the family members also work as councillors, meaning they receive a basic wage of €16,600, plus expenses."

From Irish Independent, Tuesday August 19 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

in fairness Kenny and Dempsey are not receiving this allowance. but the TDs are still racking up pension entitlements and also depriving two other teachers a chance to be permanent by not RESIGNING their actual teaching positions

Tony Gregory did that till the day he died. If he was a saint it must be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Tony Greogory did that so it must be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭thomasj

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2009/01/15/story81968.asp
    TDs paid far more than MPs for less work

THE new year is just a fortnight old and many more Irish workers find themselves out of a job.

But there are 166 lucky Irish workers who haven’t returned from the holidays yet, haven’t lost their jobs and have not been docked pay... they are TDs.

In the lead-up to Christmas there was much discussion over the difference in euro and sterling prices for the same goods in the same shops.

So considering that the Irish parliamentary system is a copy of the British one, how do our TDs compare with MPs, and are we being ripped off in politics as much as we are in the shops?

In 2008, the Dáil sat for 97 days compared with 155 days for the House of Commons. The Commons sat for 19 four-day and 12 five-day weeks.

In contrast the Dáil only managed one lousy four-day week during 2008.

It must to nice for the increasing numbers of Irish workers on a three-day week to know their TDs have being doing just that on full pay for years.

Naturally, TDs will excuse their behaviour by saying they have to attend to constituency business and that rural TDs have long distances to travel.

But MPs have to attend to constituency business, too, and look at the distances that Scottish and Welsh MPs have to travel.

Also each TD has only an average of 25,500 constituents to attend to, but an MP has more than 94,000.

So if MPs sit 50% more days, have longer working weeks and shorter holidays, have nearly four times more constituents to look after and have to travel vastly longer distances, they must be on fantastic pay.

Well, an MP gets the sterling equivalent of around €70,000 compared to €105,000 for a TD; a British minister gets roughly €160,000 compared to €240,000 for an Irish minister and the Prime Minister earns €220,000 compared with €310,000 for the Taoiseach. We have a deepening financial crisis and there is much debate of late on radical cuts in public sector pay and numbers, more taxes on Irish workers and calls for patriotism as a solution.

But while TDs do less work for 50% more pay than MPs, they are just not entitled to participate in such debates and make demands on others.

So for the rest of January, I request all TDs to take a hard look at themselves in the mirror and ask if there shouldn’t be radical cuts in both the numbers and pay of Irish politicians.

As an example of how radical, perhaps politicians should be paid according to the number of days their parliament sits.

If an MP is paid €450 for each day the House of Commons sits, then a TD would have his salary cut by nearly 60% to €43,650.

thomasj wrote: »
    [Well, an MP gets the sterling equivalent of around €70,000 compared to €105,000 for a TD; a British minister gets roughly €160,000 compared to €240,000 for an Irish minister and the Prime Minister earns €220,000 compared with €310,000 for the Taoiseach. We have a deepening financial crisis and there is much debate of late on radical cuts in public sector pay and numbers, more taxes on Irish workers and calls for patriotism as a solution.

But, where's the public outcry? Where's all the Email's and telephone calls? Why are we not marching to link TD's wages to the average Industrial wage?
    Why are the union leaders so silent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DARKIZE

As I recall aren't TD salaries linked to Civil Service senior grades or something similar ? This isn't just a problem with politicians, but right across senior positions in the public service. Exhibit A; Patrick Neary being paid more than the Chairman of the Federal Reserve or Bank of England.

In general, I actually wouldn't have so much of a problem with TDs being paid a decent (ie not in excess of 100k) salary. Its all the other padding with drawing pensions while still serving, endless and unvouched expenses, committee fees etc, that really sticks it to the taxpayer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

But, where's the public outcry? Where's all the Email's and telephone calls? Why are we not marching to link TD's wages to the average Industrial wage?
    Why are the union leaders so silent?

They are talking about all of this though. How about joining in the march on the 21st of Feb so to show your outrage at the complete and utter uselessness of the government?
    There's a chance for you to show your outrage and march for what you believe in.
    Or is it just easier to type on a forum?

Advertisement