Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giggin' It Alone

• 11-02-2009 1:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Ahhh.. it's the leadup to the 18th now and obviously alot of gigs are gonna be opened up to me now since I'll have a real ID (:p) but the problem is, alot of the mates who I gig with haven't reached 18 yet and so wouldn't be able to go with me, leaving me with the option of giggin' it alone!

Never done it before, but I don't know if I'd enjoy it as much. Anybody else have experience in this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Never done it before, but I don't know if I'd enjoy it as much. Anybody else have experience in this?

I wouldn't worry about it, 9 out of 10 people at the gig are generally on the same page, especially if you're up the front, you'll usually end up in banter with other people, despite the fact that you don't know em. I think i've done 75% of gigs i've attended over the course of the last 15 years solo.

Most of the time i prefer it as 1) i have very different musical taste to a lot of people i know, and so i'd rather do it alone than have someone bitch about it and 2) depending on the gig, you end up losing at least ONE of the people you went with, then have to wait about 20 mins to a phone signal to find out where the bastard is!

Of course, we didn't have mobiles in the early to mid 90s! ;) We just hoped he'd follow us into Fibbers or Bruxelles afterwards, and not into one place while the rest of us were at the other!

So go, and enjoy yourself, because you went there to see the band, not your mates, especially as you can see them anytime. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've often gone to a few gigs on my own as I have different music tastes to my friends and I got on ok,but then again Im use to doing things on my :o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

There is also the "Gig Buddies" section. You might find a fellow boardsie in the same boat.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've often gone to gigs alone. Honestly I dont find the gigs in Ireland to be friendly. The last few gigs I went to alone in Dublin, I dont think I spoke to more than 5 people who werent too interested in holding any kind of conversation! I've gone to gigs in the Netherlands and Finland alone and I found people there to be much more friendly and open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

the last few years i've been going to gigs with a couple of mates but for most of the 90's i went on my own. tbh it's better on your own sometimes,no-one else to worry about and you rock out to your hearts content on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Ahhh.. it's the leadup to the 18th now and obviously alot of gigs are gonna be opened up to me now since I'll have a real ID (:p) but the problem is, alot of the mates who I gig with haven't reached 18 yet and so wouldn't be able to go with me, leaving me with the option of giggin' it alone!

First gig I ever went to. Metallica at the Point in 1999, and alone again for Metallica in the RDS in 2003. They were two of the best gigs ever. I took my seat, enjoyed the support acts, got a bottle of Fanta and watched and listened to the Greatest band ever.

Alone gigs can be great. They are relaxing, and if you are really into the band there is no way you will leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I've been to plenty of gigs on my own. Drove up to Dublin for them. Don't worry about it. I also went to Metallica on my own in 99, went up on a bus from Limk, and people were kinda asking "are you on your own????" , I didn't care. once I got in, went up to the barrier andonce the band come on, you can't really talk anyways!
    also went to a few gigs in the ambassador on my own, anthrax, mark lanegan and so on.
    loads of people on their own at it..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I went to a few Pearl Jam shows in Europe on my own no bother. I've been to others in Ireland, but no problems really. I'd prefer to go on my own than to miss a fine show :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

I've also gone to gigs on my own. Went to gigs in Spain and Austria and had a brilliant time. The scene is very different over there and you tend to meet a lot of people from different countries, it really is an awesome experience. The scene here is ok (not great) but overseas it's definitely a joy to behold. Have my eye on the Netherlands, Germany and Sweden this year and can't wait. Have fun OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Het-Field wrote: »
    I took my seat, enjoyed the support acts, got a bottle of Fanta and watched and listened to the Greatest band ever.

FANTA???????!!!!!!!!:p:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Gigging alone is good. I think the most entertaining would have to be The Pogues.

Taking a hipflask or two can be a master stroke if gigging alone in Ireland :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

lord lucan wrote: »
    FANTA???????!!!!!!!!:p:eek:

Don't knock it luc, i went 7 years without drinking alcohol during my 20s.
    With all the artificial colourings and sugar they pour into fanta, trust me, he won't stay in his seat for very long! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Yerra sure a good third of gig attendees would be people on their own. What does it matter if you have somebody you know standing beside you or not.

All the best.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

As people said, you often do get seperated anyways...Only time it's handy to know someone is afterwards just for the release of saying "how amazing / crap was that?!". Most recent gig I went to was a metal gig (which I don't think I can mention) and got swept into the crowd at the start of the first song! Met my friends at the very end :) Had a blast!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

lord lucan wrote: »
    the last few years i've been going to gigs with a couple of mates but for most of the 90's i went on my own. tbh it's better on your own sometimes,no-one else to worry about and you rock out to your hearts content on your own.

Thats a good point.. I always find myself checking to see if others around me are liking the gig or whatever. Never even occurred to me to head to gigs on my own.. Cause I love to get lost in it all in my own little world.

Advertisement