Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 month old not sleeping through night

Options
  • 11-02-2009 8:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

My little boy has been waking up about 2.45 - 3.15am for the past week or so and is asking for his bottle? and is awake for about an hour..We make sure he has a big dinner and a bottle before bedtime, he is usually asleep by 8.15 or 8.30pm. So We dont know why is waking at this time, we have tried leaving him, but he just keeps crying. We are mystified?
    Has anyone any experience of this?
    Thanks, zzzzz

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What size is his bottle going to bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭timbel

our 11 month old also began waking up at night (around 4-5am) about a month/month and a half ago. We weren't sure what was wrong - being cold or hungry.
    Anyway, we basically doubled the food in his supper (extra yogurt/blended fruit + slice toast) and his normal bottle (8oz) and it did the trick.

I suppose it coincided with him getting more active (crawling and standing) so need a big jump in food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

Maybe he is just thirsty as opposed to hungry? Is the central heating on or is the room stuffy? I often put a bottle of water in the cot with my son when i'm going to bed if i think the air is very dry cos i'd be very sensitive to that myself..

Worth a try anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ledsking

We gave him 240 ml (sorry for quoting in metric!!)

He eats a lot during the day and had some sliced banana and yogurt around 7.3pm last night. The room is definately not too hot, if anything maybe a bit chilly, maybe that might be a reason? and he is also very active in the evening (when I get home from work,love to play with him!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Its a case of trial and error to find out really.

Try him on water for a few nights, if its just habit waking him (wanting company lol) then he will get fed up with the water and not bother waking.

Is he teething?

Try an extra blanket? or a light long sleeved top over his babygro?

I would try giving him some extra food also, maybe give him a snack about 6.30pm and his normal last feed at about 7.30.

Try those one at a time so that you know which one works for next time. It will happen again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Extra food- and a bit of fluid handy for a night time feed- are good ideas. My boy often needs his nappy changing, he hates being wet and pees a lot at night, whereas his sister is a camel and rarely pees during her sleep.

On the "bad news" front, it may just be one of those things. I have found with my two that whenever they go through a developmental change (learning to sit up, learning tfirst words, learning to stand, learning to walk etc), they will have a couple of weeks where they are very unsettled at night with long wakeful periods as well as more fussing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ledsking

morning all,

another bad nights sleep for all, baby woke exactly at 3am again!
    wife changed him and gave him a little water, put him back in cot.
    through the monitor we could hear him for half an hour, just moaning / talking to himself.
    We brought him to our bed and he took about 7oz of milk...
    after that, he wouldn't settle - just kept twisting and turning / scratching / googaa - ing.....I went to the couch at 5 and I could still hear that he was awake - so im up since 3 and in work now......coffeeeeeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

i know its a worry not having a monitor on, but would he go back off if you didn't go into him. if you didn't have the monitor on would you jump up to him. Maybe he screams the place down & you have to go into him!!! Does he take a soother or ny other comfort rather than a bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

This happens with mine whenever I accidentally give my daughter the vegetarian pasta intended for tea time instead of the chicken one she has for lunch. I checked it out in a few books and the recommendation is that at 9 months a baby should be getting a min of 20oz (600mls) in the 12 hours that they are awake and having some protein in their lunch. I was doing the milk right but I was occasionally getting the lunch wrong which would result in waking. I work off of the assumption that if she is well fed, has had plenty of milk and juice, has a clean bottom and it definitely cant be wind, then I just give her back her dodie and allow her to cry for a few minutes before going to her. (Obviously I check for a temperature first). It seldom lasts more than 4 or 5 minutes (which feels like several lifetimes because it's so hard) but it never lasts more than a few nights if I up the protein in the lunch. I personally don't give animal protein in the teatime food just in case she finds it difficult to digest before bed so I make her a lovely vegetarian pasta that she can eat and self feed and some quiche or home-made pizza or omelette or chopped up vegetarian sausages. Good luck!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

ledsking wrote: »
    My little boy has been waking up about 2.45 - 3.15am for the past week or so and is asking for his bottle? and is awake for about an hour..We make sure he has a big dinner and a bottle before bedtime, he is usually asleep by 8.15 or 8.30pm. So We dont know why is waking at this time, we have tried leaving him, but he just keeps crying. We are mystified?
    Thanks, zzzzz

Dot feed him (milk is food) during the night. Give water. Its not worth waking up for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Billiejo wrote: »
    Dot feed him (milk is food) during the night. Give water. Its not worth waking up for.

i remember someone recomending sugerey water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭kaa

ledsking wrote: »
    Thanks, zzzzz

well i have a girl who is 13 months. and she woke during the night around 3 before and did last week too. and i thought it was because she was hungry at the start but she was waking because she was teething. so maybe thats why your baby is doing the same and wants a bottle to chew on so it helps with the pain. if you capol before bedtime and see.
    Hope it helps.

Advertisement