Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Bag In Box wines in Ireland?

Options
  • 11-02-2009 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Thought i would check to see if anyone know about where to get a bag in box wine?

Haven't seen any whenever i go to the offlicense. :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Only place i've ever seen these in Ireland was in Aldi/Lidl, but I wouldn't be a wine drinker so i'm sure they're available elsewhere that I don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I dunno know why you'd want them unless it's for quantity rather than quality, but they're in every supermarket. Quite expensive though, 30odd euro, for what I would imagine is plonk.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

kenmc wrote: »
    I dunno know why you'd want them unless it's for quantity rather than quality, but they're in every supermarket. Quite expensive though, 30odd euro, for what I would imagine is plonk.

You forgot use-ability :)

Easier to pour and so on.
    Some of the BiB's i've tried aren't really that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dMaN24 wrote: »

Some of the BiB's i've tried aren't really that bad.

and not that bad is good enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

OP - if you get a chance to go to Sainsbury's they have a decent selection of such wines.

I have tasted wines out of the bag that taste like their bottled version - sounds a bit like the screw top snobbery that went on a few years back.

• Advertisement

and not that bad is good enough??
    "Not that bad" as in good, then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have seen plenty of them in most Tesco and Dunnes i have ever been in.
    They are not good value though and work out only perhaps a Euro or less cheaper than buying bottles with the same volume.

There are no big value ones like in the US. Chillable red is quite nice in the US. I can not think who makes it off hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

The Sainsbury's ones can be good value - they generally have to be on special to be worth it though. They seem to have a specials rotation - there's always something on special. Plus its cheaper than the south.

dMaN24 wrote: »
    Easier to pour than what? The only time I've had wine in a bag was in Oz (it's called "a box of goon" there) and it was definitely not easier to pour than a bottle, especially as you get to the end of the bag and have to tilt the box and press the button and hold the glass all with 2 hands.

kenmc wrote: »
    Easier to pour than what? The only time I've had wine in a bag was in Oz (it's called "a box of goon" there) and it was definitely not easier to pour than a bottle, especially as you get to the end of the bag and have to tilt the box and press the button and hold the glass all with 2 hands.

You just push a button and voila. And if you buy bottles with a cork you won't have the hassle to pry it back in the bottle.

But yeah, the last drop-thing is a drawback. Just tear the box open and squeeze with one hand, while pressing the button with the other. :)

I can't find Salisbury anywhere near Cork though.

• Advertisement

nearest one to Cork? That would be eh.. not sure.... somewhere up North anyway since they are not in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

M&S do a box of Gaston de Veau - inexpensive french chardonnay, drinkable and handy in the fridge for cooking. Or hop over to france for better boxes and better prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Currently, Tesco have a Soave. Not cheap though, or as cheap as it should be.

Franzia20Chillable20Red.jpg
    My mother in law is rather partial to this. Its a medium sweet wine. 5 Litres (or Liters for Americans :D) and only costs about $10

I like it but its not a good wine by any stretch of the imagination. In fact its debatable if you can call it "wine" but its still pretty nice. Not so sweet as to be an alcopop.

How awful does a red have to be before they advertise it as 'chillable'? <shudder>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 beaugeave

In France people like their little Bag in Box at home and you can find so many good quality ones in their supermarkets.

Why here in Ireland can we not find good Boxed wine? Especially that the wine is quiet dear here, the Boxed wine should be a good thing!!

I’m sure if we had good boxed wine people would buy it. What do you think?

Do you know any place to get some good one?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Guyett

Londis in Malahide has Two Tracks, its a NZ Malborough. €20 for 1.5 litres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

23898197.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

beaugeave, whilst it's best to look up old threads for information before posting a question that's already been answered, reviving old threads isn't allowed - just letting you know since you're new to Boards.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement