Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 month old wont drink from Bottle or trainer cup

Options
  • 11-02-2009 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

WE are at our wits end...
    no matter what is in the bottle/cup..water/formula/breast millk she just wont take to it. She just starts chewing the teat or the top on the cup.
    My wife feels restricted and limited to what she can do.

any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I take it that she is breastfeeding.

Been there myself (as have a few of my friends). You have two options:

1) persevere
    2) buy different bottles/teats/drinking cups and try them all until you find one that your little one likes the feel of.

I had a friend and her little one ended up liking the cheapest of the cheap bottles that you could find, it took her a few weeks, having tried other bottles first, but she got it and then went and bought the shop out of them lol.

Another friend, her little one bit her (9 month old) and she let out such a shout of pain and shock that he never wanted to go on the breast again, a painful way, and accidental.

I went the perseverance route myself and just tried and tried every day. I found it very hard not to feed my one and let him go without in order to take a bottle so it was a slow process. He just took it one day. I think I did get him on a juice cup first though.

Coming into the warmer weather is a good thing as your little one will need more fluid.

Once you get them to drink at all they will adapt very quickly. It must be strange for them, the change from breast to silicone teat, I can understand why they refuse, its so much nicer to snuggle into Mum :pac: Maybe try letting her play with a soother, it might get her used to the feel of the silicone. Its very unlikely that she would use a soother properly at this stage, mine didn't, all they did was play or chew it the way they would any toy.

Good luck :)

BTW there is nothing to say that she MUST drink from a bottle, if she will drink from a sippy cup then go with that, she can have all drinks from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

been there and tried absolutely everything anyone could suggest.

In the end I stopped trying because I felt I was getting annoyed at him which wasn't fair. After a month or so I just thought i'd try again and lo and behold he just knocked back a full bottle. He was about 8 months at this stage and was so nosy that he suddenly loved the novelty of being held facing away from me and being able to have a drink and watch his daddy and sister play at the same time. He never saw a boob again and he wasn't in the slightest bit bothered about it :D

You really can't force it though. I started getting a little more freedom as he was taking more solids because I could at last miss one of his mealtimes and be away for a couple of hours. I'm guessing yours is a frequent feeder? Mine was every hour by day and every 2 by night. Daytime changed when solids were firmly established but nights didn't. Yes it's very restricting .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

could be teething? Has this just started recently? Are you switching from Breast to Bottle?

Advertisement