Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 3MB Stats - Are they good?

Options
  • 11-02-2009 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

I have no clue if my stats are good or not, so would appreciate any expert feedback. :)

408710165.png

DSL Stats:

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) --- 3072 / 384
    SN Margin (dB)
    11.84 / 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB)
    46.37 / 29.00
    CRC Errors
    6919 / 40

I have an Eircom supplied Netopia DSL Modem (model: 3341), which is connected to a D-Link DIR-655 Wireless router.

Feedback welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not that great, when looking at line stats, a lower figure for attenuation is better and a higher figure for noise is better. 4mbit is about all that line will take so stay on the 3mbit package. Put your stats in here and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Scoti

eddiem74 wrote: »
    I have no clue if my stats are good or not, so would appreciate any expert feedback. :)

408710165.png

DSL Stats:

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) --- 3072 / 384
    SN Margin (dB)
    11.84 / 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB)
    46.37 / 29.00
    CRC Errors
    6919 / 40

I have an Eircom supplied Netopia DSL Modem (model: 3341), which is connected to a D-Link DIR-655 Wireless router.

Feedback welcome.

Thanks.

Your stats are not great not horrible but your CRC errors are way too high.

Reset the counter and check your internal setup, then test it again, there could be a line problem but is mostly affecting downstream

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Scoti wrote: »
    Your stats are not great not horrible but your CRC errors are way too high.

Reset the counter and check your internal setup, then test it again, there could be a line problem but is mostly affecting downstream

"check your internal setup.." what exactly does that mean ? :confused:

Means check that everything is filtered (all phone, fax, alarm, sky...) and that you are not running an extension. If everything seems ok, remove all equipment and connect the phone directly to the main socket, hopefully what will clear most of those CRCs. If it doesnt call eircom and ask them to check your line.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It means you could try following this :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

SNR is not great so I'd rule out physicals first otherwise you'll only manage maybe 4-4.5MB but better off where you are I'd say if nothing improves

• Advertisement

I have 2 Sky boxes each with a filter used.

My broadband connection is installed in a room upstairs which I use as a home office. See attached picture for the connection used by Eircom installer a few years back.

Most rooms in my house have a phone socket (my temp office has 3), however only 3 cat5e cables are connected in the external phone junction box, which would imply internal connections are looped, I guess?

How do I know the master/main socket ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

master socket has an eircom or a TE logo, others don't

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    master socket has an eircom or a TE logo, others don't

Hmmm, don't think I have one ?

The eircom connnection in the external box, just connects the Eircom black cable directly to the cat5e cables in the box, which the electrician installed during the house wiring to the phone points, see attached pic.

Hmmm, don't think I have one ?

The eircom connnection in the external box, just connects the Eircom black cable directly to the cat5e cables in the box, which the electrician installed during the house wiring to the phone points, see attached pic.

Jaysus... your internal wiring is a mess... that explains why you have so much noise on that line.

Well, if your line is working fine, dont bother, but dont expect much more from it. Wouldnt worry about getting higher speeds, if you want it fix then hire a proper electrician and get your wiring properly fixed.

You can't find an eircom socket probably because dont have one. I have seen a DSL faceplate (Eircom). Not sure who install that, they are normally installed by Alarm guys. A faceplate is always connected to the main socket of the house and, what it does, is that filters the line from there to the rest of the house so no more filters are needed. The problem is that the DSL router/modem needs to be connected to that phone socket. The fact that you have that socket in your bedroom is weird as is unlikely that'll be your main socket (not impossible but unlikely).

In conclusion your wiring is a bit messy so is up to you to fix it or not, in my opinion if you are happy with the service so far dont touch it but bear in mind that it will get worst and sooner or later you will have to fix it.

You can't find an eircom socket probably because dont have one. I have seen a DSL faceplate (Eircom). Not sure who install that, they are normally installed by Alarm guys.

It was a guy from Eircom who connected broadband for me.

Although I have a vague recollection that he was making a big deal about something at the time, and to be honest I was getting the impression he was looking me to give him some work a nixer? Can't 100% recall the specifics though now, was over 5yrs ago.
    In conclusion your wiring is a bit messy so is up to you to fix it or not, in my opinion if you are happy with the service so far dont touch it but bear in mind that it will get worst and sooner or later you will have to fix it.

What would be involved in fixing it, a complete rewire or some tidy up ? :confused:

• Advertisement

It was a guy from Eircom who connected broadband for me.

Although I have a vague recollection that he was making a big deal about something at the time, and to be honest I was getting the impression he was looking me to give him some work a nixer? Can't 100% recall the specifics though now, was over 5yrs ago.

What would be involved in fixing it, a complete rewire or some tidy up ? :confused:

Shouldnt be too much work but you can't tell unless you take a proper look. I honestly suggest not to bother unless your connection is just not acceptable... too expensive

Shouldnt be too much work but you can't tell unless you take a proper look. I honestly suggest not to bother unless your connection is just not acceptable... too expensive

To honest I had thought the cat5e wiring had me set-up in a good position, so its disappointing that I may have issues.

What would a proper look entail ? I might not do anything know, but would be interested in knowing so I can see if I can eliminate anything myself?

Thanks again.

To honest I had thought the cat5e wiring had me set-up in a good position, so its disappointing that I may have issues.

What would a proper look entail ? I might not do anything know, but would be interested in knowing so I can see if I can eliminate anything myself?

Thanks again.

Anyone ?

Ok, so after turning everything off / resetting nearly 2 days ago, a test this morning shows:

410071700.png

Max Allowed Speed (kbps)---- 3072 / 384
    SN Margin (dB)
    13.40 / 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB)
    47.49 / 28.00
    CRC Errors
    951 / 5

I would like in the future to have the fastest line possible, and if I need to have something fixed now, I would appreciate the input.

Thanks !

Anyone any advice on next steps here ? :confused:

I've logged an email with Eircom via their website, and they said they would review my set-up and get back in 24hrs. I also got another e-mail from them telling me to check for virsuses, connect via ethernet, and connect via master socket which I seem to be missing?

If I call them will they send someone out ? And will I have to pay ? What do you think ? :confused:

Anyone ?

My lastest stats are:

Max Allowed Speed (kbps)---- 3072 / 384
    SN Margin (dB)
    12.34 / 16.00
    Line Attenuation (dB)
    47.49 / 28.00
    CRC Errors
    3852 / 9

Advertisement