Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear

Options
  • 11-02-2009 10:12am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Whos getting this friday?cant wait loved the first one :D.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I am somewhat on the fence on this; while the demo was the same scary-shooty FEAR fun, initial reviews seem rather cold & ill favoured towards the game. Eurogamer gave it a '5'. So I am not sure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

wow only a 5?thats bad,I mite wait so too and see what other reviews give it,the last thing I want is to waste 50 euro on a crappy game :-/.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Eurogamer gave it a five without having anything particulary bad to say about it. I hate their reviews sometimes, it's like they are just giving a different review to everyone else just for the sake of it. I wouldn't base anything on what they say. The general consensus is that the game isn't groundbreaking, but it is a very solid shooter indeed. Good enough for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I really liked the demo, although I'm not so sure how well the mech parts are going to work. If felt really out of place, like you are walking around in the dark, feeling completely vulnerable to attack... then all of a sudden you are walking around in a huge armoured mech shooting off rockets like bullets. Didn't make sense imo. But I'll give it a go anyway.

I'm going to hopefully finish off Turok, Alone in the Dark and Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason in the next week, so hopefully those mediocre FPS's will lower my expectations of FEAR 2, lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

prolly pick up the pc copy. enjoyed the demo quite a bit.

laser gun + mech is enough for me.

oh, and slo-mo shotty gib kills :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Found the demo to be uninspired fps fair so not picking this up. Loved te first game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i loved first one, AI was moust increadable thing i ever seen!

Played demo of fear 2, and i loved it! defenetly picking it up.

And lads, stop trusting those website with reviews, they give good reviews if payed well. Well developers were confident in fear2 and did not payed anything, so here you go, bad reviews.

games like spore got good reviews, but that was the biggest piece of crap! I miss mine 50eu :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

And lads, stop trusting those website with reviews, they give good reviews if payed well. Well developers were confident in fear2 and did not payed anything, so here you go, bad reviews.

I would normally wait for a Zero Punctuation review before blowing 50 Monies.
    He's not really a reviewer, more of a critic... If you get my meaning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would normally wait for a Zero Punctuation review before blowing 50 Monies.
    He's not really a reviewer, more of a critic... If you get my meaning...

well, i trust more people made reviews on youtube then anything from website now.

Anyway there ares some developers, which you can allways trust: Blizzard, valve, sierra, THQ,bioware, Codemasters( moust of the time ). I dont even look for reviews from these developers, if a game is mine taste ill take it, newer dissapointed. But if game is not your taste, dont expect it to be good for YOU.

Now EA... Moust of the time i just wait theyr games to be in bargain bin anyway. I got burned allready with few games from them, even when alot of websides gave good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Found the demo to be a big "meh". While 5/10 is a bit harsh, I wouldn't give it more than 7/10 based on the demo. Very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'll be trying the single player first before I decide if I'll buy it for the multiplayer ;) Loved the first game and liked the demo.

Benzino wrote: »
    Found the demo to be a big "meh". While 5/10 is a bit harsh, I wouldn't give it more than 7/10 based on the demo. Very disappointing.

I loved it, I played it on PC, what did you play it on?

I loved it, I played it on PC, what did you play it on?

I mainly played it on the 360, but did play it a for a bit on the PC. The only thing that stood out for me was the special effects. Other then that, it's just another standard fps imo. And if you played the first one, then you know all the tricks already. Everything they did to try and scare you in the demo, they did in the orginal.

I remember
    when I was in the bus, and as I got to the end of it, some special effects played (can't remember what they were), but I instantly knew that if I looked around, alma would be there. Why? cause that's exactly what they did in the last game. Nothing special at all.

This game needs 5.1 surround and thumping bass as does the first one, pointless playing this with shítty speakers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Started playing the first game on PC last week again to get in the mood for this one but I trust Eurogamer's reviews and now I'm less than enthusiastic - the removal of the kick melee combat is a shane - was a very nice touch in the first one because it was quiet and a one-hit kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

the kick combat is still there, the pc demo had it for sure.

Seems I shouldn't trust Eurogamer as much as I do:
    Elements of the kinetic combat have been removed, oddly. The close-combat flying kicks have been excised, reduced to the standard weapon-bash. You are able to flip furniture and take cover behind it- which your opposition will do too, showing the generally robust AI. Cute, but fundamentally it's not that relevant.

(CORRECTION: Since this review was published, it's been pointed out the information in the above paragraph is incorrect. Kieron writes: "Well, the flying kicks weren't excised - just my ability to notice 'em, either through them not being introduced in the training sequence or me simply missing them. In practice, FEAR 2 seemed to keep the enemy at the range most of the time, with the close-combat being primarily defensive. Returning to discover my error, I realise I *did* actually set off the kick a couple of times, but since it was at the end of the jump, it looked more like a slide along the floor than a dramatic boot-in-face and I presumed it was some kind of slide-to-cover thing." We apologise for the error. After discussion we feel the score below still fits the game.)

Benzino wrote: »
    And if you played the first one, then you know all the tricks already. Everything they did to try and scare you in the demo, they did in the orginal.

Well I agree that the bit in your spoiler is predictable, but more than once
    I heard a little sound behind me, I turned to see what it was and there was teen Alma right behind me, I mean right there! I never came across that in FEAR or FEAR:EP. Truley scared the bejesus out of me.

On the point of not finding it scary/creepy (Wether it was brought up or not), I watched one of my brothers friends play throught the demo, he ploughed through all the scary bits without even noticing it, maybe you should all play again, but move a bit slower....

• Advertisement

Well I agree that the bit in your spoiler is predictable, but more than once
    I heard a little sound behind me, I turned to see what it was and there was teen Alma right behind me, I mean right there! I never came across that in FEAR or FEAR:EP. Truley scared the bejesus out of me.

It's been a while since I played the first one, but i'm nearly positive their were similar situations to the one you mentioned in your spoiler, but it has been a while...

Im one who is easily scared to be honest, so I was surprised that the demo didn't scare me. Like I said, it seemed too familiar.
    On the point of not finding it scary/creepy (Wether it was brought up or not), I watched one of my brothers friends play throught the demo, he ploughed through all the scary bits without even noticing it, maybe you should all play again, but move a bit slower....

Well if that's the case, Monolith have failed, in my opinion. If the game is meant to scare or creep me out, it should do so no matter how I play the game, i shouldn't have to play it a certain way...

Despite the lack of scary moments, the demo just seemed so average to me. I love FPS games, but I got bored of this very fast. Maybe it's just me...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

For anyone who bought this game on Steam, it will unlock at 12:01 tonight. For any of you who have recieved your retail copies early, you can activate the game on Steam at that time.

anybody get it yet?I think i'll save my money for dawn of war 2 next week and wait until this drops down in price a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

anybody get it yet?I think i'll save my money for dawn of war 2 next week and wait until this drops down in price a bit.

I ordered it off Play.com, and according to them they posted it on Wednesday. I thought it would come today, but no sign of it.

I guess I should blame An Post!:(

I found it takes about 5 working days for Play orders. Pain in the hole.

Anyone who bought the game care to shed their feeling on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

It got 6/10 on Gamecentral (itv teletext).

http://www.teletext.co.uk/GameCentral/Features-Reviews/default.aspx

I find their reviews are usually trustworthy. I played the pc demo last week and wasn't impressed by it.

Just had a quick go (just an hour as I'm not feeling the best) and I'm not all that impressed with it on pc. Graphics is kinda meh (sepia filmgrain tint and its windowed @ 1080p on my 24") but my main compliant is that its just too easy, I've upped it to hard and its still dead easy (although I'm only on the second level, but I feel it should be harder than this on pc, the first one was), I've a feeling its made this way to suit consoles, especially when they've left out the quicksave this time which the first one had (and needed cos it was harder). Hope to see an insane difficulty mod for the single player. I can run it absolutely maxed @ 1920x1200 with 4xAA and 16xAF and still get constant 60FPS with V-Sync with a single 512MB HD4870. They've failed to address the main issue that bothered me with the first one, the little stutter everytime it loads or saves to disk. Like the first the sounds and atmosphere are what makes the game. Not made up my mind on this one yet. Here's just a few screenshots:

FEAR22009-02-1317-59-10-12.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1318-01-05-09.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1318-01-05-31.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1318-04-03-88.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1318-04-13-87.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1318-04-28-86.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1318-04-43-86.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1318-04-08-87.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1319-14-52-92.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1318-04-18-88.jpg

looks good is it as scary as the first one so far?

Realised I'd picked the brightest of the screenshots, heres some darker blurry ones as the majority of this game is dark.

FEAR22009-02-1319-14-56-87.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1319-15-02-55.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1319-15-07-53.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1319-15-17-53.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1318-04-38-85.jpg

• Advertisement

looks good is it as scary as the first one so far?

Yeah, its got the same atmosphere, fantastic sound effects, some great scares especially
    one in the morgue section of the hospital

Advertisement