Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sounds good,suppose id better finish the 1st one :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

:mad:
    I bought the retail copy of the game today and can't get it to run. It's installed fine and activated successfully via Steam, and shows as "Available" on my Steam games list, but when I try to run it I'm told it's not available at the moment and to try again later.

I don't use Steam all that often, so I'm not familiar with its intricacies, but what? Of course it's bloody available, I bought a boxed copy, it's installed on the machine, and the damn disc is in the drive!

Anyone know what the problem is?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Branoic wrote: »
    :mad:
    I bought the retail copy of the game today and can't get it to run. It's installed fine and activated successfully via Steam, and shows as "Available" on my Steam games list, but when I try to run it I'm told it's not available at the moment and to try again later.

I don't use Steam all that often, so I'm not familiar with its intricacies, but what? Of course it's bloody available, I bought a boxed copy, it's installed on the machine, and the damn disc is in the drive!

Anyone know what the problem is?

Hey, have you tried the possible fixes listed here?

That error message is really very misleading, it basically means that something is usually prohibiting Steam from starting the game.

Thanks, finally got it working. Played just up to the start of Interval 2 so far and enjoying it. One thing though - anyone know how to turn off widescreen mode? There's no option for it in the display settings. My monitor isn't widescreen and the two black bars top and bottom are kind of annoying.

[EDIT] - bit of searching on the Interweb reveals that there is no 4:3 aspect support with the game. For shame, Monolith, that's just lazy.

After another hour with the game, Eurogamer's 5/10 is waaaaaaaaaaaay off the mark in my opinion. This is top stuff. The firefights are ridiculously fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not really impressed with this tbh, in fact I'm very disappointed as I was a big fan of the first, I still play the killbox 1v1 with my young fella on lan sometimes. I feel its definitely made for consoles because its really easy, I'm playing this on hard and am pissing through it without much effort and there's health packs everywhere, in fact I'm usually full. They've also dropped the lean left and right with Q and E in favour of using the E key for use and cover which is crap. The graphics are poor for a modern pc game, I expected much better. They are doing a bad job of covering up the bad graphics with the filmgrain tint and the blurryness but the first game looks better.

Edit, and now I read its only 4 hours gameplay, definitely not worth paying for

Here's some more screenshots:

FEAR22009-02-1521-18-35-73.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1521-18-45-74.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1521-11-15-82.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1521-16-41-78.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1521-18-05-75.jpg
    FEAR22009-02-1521-19-45-76.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I quite like it, I'm about 4 intervals in. It is a cookie cutter FPS, but its good fun.

My only criticisms are around Beckett's movement. Remember the time you played GTAIV and got drunk with Nico? It was funny for about 20 seconds, then you never did it again because it was annoying. Well Beckett seems to walk like that in FEAR all the time. I'm getting stuck in the furniture alot too...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I can't see a thing in those screenshots ! I can see some flame, a bit of light here and there but if you told me there was an enemy standing right infront of you I wouldn't be able to see it. It could be down to my rubbish monitor in work :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I liked the first one, and thought the demo had a few scary parts but dont think ill be devoting any time or money to this one for the moment.

I was getting some slowdown in some parts with water in the demo on a 4850, dunno whats up with that.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I can't see a thing in those screenshots ! I can see some flame, a bit of light here and there but if you told me there was an enemy standing right infront of you I wouldn't be able to see it. It could be down to my rubbish monitor in work :P

Click the link to my photo album in my sig and You can see them in full resolution on my server, click on the pics to see them full size, thats exactly how they look on the screen as I play. This is fully maxed @ 1920x1200 with 4x AA and 16x AF, pathetic attempt at ripping off gamers IMO.

Just checked them on my monitor back at home and it's grand ! Must have been the rubbish ones in work after all !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so is it worth buying?

I played and really enjoyed the first one so if it is just more of the same.... I could probably enjoy that but is it really only 4 hours long? does it have much replay value? is it fun as well as spooky?

so is it worth buying?

I played and really enjoyed the first one so if it is just more of the same.... I could probably enjoy that but is it really only 4 hours long? does it have much replay value? is it fun as well as spooky?

I would say no, its not worth buying, but I'm a pc only gamer and feel totally let down by this, maybe its not so bad on consoles. I thoroughly enjoyed the first, in fact its probably in my top 5 of all time games. What was good about the first is lost in this one.

* Ai is terrible, it was one of the outstanding points of the last one, amazing AI
    * Graphics are poor, they try to mask it with a filmgrain tint where the first still game looks good, much cleared than this. Much of this game is very blurry
    * The control isn't as good, they've dropped "Q" and "E" lean in favour of just "E" for cover to suit a controller. This just feels too easy on pc with kb and mouse.
    * The scares aren't as good, maybe I'm just expecting the scares this time but this isn't giving me the atmosphere I feel it should
    * Only 4 hours, I can't verify this yet but if its true well then its just a pathetic attempt to milk as much as possible out of the populatity of the first. Glad as a pc gamer I have other ways of getting it before commiting to buying it for multiplayer
    * Not tried the multiplayer, reports are that its not that good. Remember FEAR Combat was great and was given away free after a few months, its one of the most popular (still very popular) free games existing today.

Just my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Finished the game last night, in my opinion it's the same as most of the new games out at the minute, too much time spent on graphics and not enough on gaming content, it's too short and the ending isn't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭feckhead

I got it for review and it's been really good so far. I'm playing it on 360 and it definately feels and plays like a console shooter. PC owners should look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I played and enjoyed the ps3 demo last night. Not too fond of using l2 and r2 to aim and fire though. Presume the controls will adjustable in the full version.
    That said, I will wait till this is about 15- 20 euro on the hut or elsewhere like I did with FEAR files.

Just finished it there last night and to be honest it wasn't that great. I felt the action and shootouts with the AI was very poor, not a patch on the first game. The weapons never really had the "umph" the first lot did. At times In the first game I found myself thinking "Damn that sounded bad" after ripping a squad apart with the assault rifle or the submachine gun 'cause they just sounded so brutal when firing them, while this batch of weapons sounded flimsy and weak. The squad based AI was very poor and nowhere near as tactical as the first with enemies just running through single doors in groups and getting mowed down straight away.

I found the weapon selection nothing special at all apart from the Automatic shotgun and the laser rifle. The new nailgun is dreadful when compared to the nailgun in Fear as said before it has no whack to it and looks like you're shooting little needles as opposed to massive nails.
    And wtf is with those guys that run around bring the dead bodies back to life ? It looks like monolith just dropped them in there ! They make no sense at all.

The Power Armor sections were alright but it got old very quickly when you realized NOTHING could kill you or barely even scratch you.

I'd give the game 6/10. Only really good for one play through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Anyone playing this on 64 bit vista - I get black screen then crash to desktop with "pure virtual function called"

Yeh I played on 64 bit. Didn't have any problems with it though, sorry.

Finished it last night and really enjoyed it. Not a masterpiece overall but the highschool level is actually one of my all time favourite levels in any FPS, so atmospheric and genuinely disturbing - not in a blood and guts and cheap scares way, but through reading the intel files and taking the time to read the various stories and posters the kids stuck on the walls.

That said, the actual game ending was absolute f*cking cack. WTF!? Game developers - finish your goddamn games properly!

Advertisement