Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Problem

Options
  • 11-02-2009 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, there are 2 switches in hotpress to control radiators upstairs & down. When both switches set to on all rads. heat. When downstairs switched off and upstairs on, all is ok too. Problem is when upstairs switched off and downstairs on, some (not all) radiators upstairs are still heating. I've been told the problem isn't the motorized valve but a build up of sludge in system which needs to be flushed out and at same time he'll fit new lever valves. I'm having doubts about diagnosis...Anybody had similar problem and what was solution that worked for you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Sludge whether there or not would not cause the rads upstairs to heat when the zone valve is off.

If you can identify the actual zone valve that the switch for upstairs controls feel the pipe on the exit side (B) at least 6" from the valve. If it is hot the valve has failed and will need to be replaced solving your problem (either the electric part (body easily replaced) or the valve itself has failed). Fitting a lever valve in place of the valve would also solve your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 32Kathryn

Thanks - for clarifying the sludge bit and - I'll check the pipe too. Motorised valves seem to be the normal thing, but if the valve needs changing are lever valves worth considering too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Motorised valves are usually controlled by a thermostat on the wall (one upstairs - one downstairs) in addition to the switch in the hotpress. If you replace the motorised valves with lever valves then you lose the automatic temperature control and will waste oil/gas by overheating the rooms.

You may be able to add a lever ball valve in series with the motorised valve to provide a means to isolate each heating zone, but if the motorised valve is working correctly then it should be able to do this anyway. I'd start by checking the operation of the motorised valve for the upstairs circuit, and if it's faulty replace it. The motorised actuator part can be easily replaced and they do give trouble after several years. The valve itself is more robust however if it does need replacement it is not too difficult, but it does require draining down the heating system.

The other possibility is that the design of the heating circuits is not correct, and some of the upstairs rads are in fact supplied from the downstairs circuit. If you have the time and patience you can find out by shuting off all radiators and with a cold system turn them on one at a time. You can see which motorised valve is supplying hot water to each radiator as the pipe coming from it will get hot.

Advertisement