Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to start??

• 11-02-2009 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have been looking through this forum for about the last 6 months while waiting for our planning permission to come through from CC and An Bord Pleanala. Thought that it would be straight forward at this stage but no......

I went out and bought the Home Bond manual to try and educate myself and the OH but as we will hopefully we getting most things done by direct labour it wasn't really a huge amount of use as its a little bit all over the place. I should have kept the €50 to give towards the council contributions!!

Basically, I was wondering if anyone knew of another book or website which would give me a fairly clear idea of a step by step process. (ie: when do the windows go in, when does the plumber come along!)

I know its a bit like spoonfeeding but we can't really afford to have someone supervising or doing all of the work.

Also, I was reading some posts about insulating, do you have to have insulation boards between the blocks in the outer walls or could you just get the beads pumped on their own?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Hi Guys,

I have been looking through this forum for about the last 6 months while waiting for our planning permission to come through from CC and An Bord Pleanala. Thought that it would be straight forward at this stage but no......

I went out and bought the Home Bond manual to try and educate myself and the OH but as we will hopefully we getting most things done by direct labour it wasn't really a huge amount of use as its a little bit all over the place. I should have kept the €50 to give towards the council contributions!!

Basically, I was wondering if anyone knew of another book or website which would give me a fairly clear idea of a step by step process. (ie: when do the windows go in, when does the plumber come along!)

I know its a bit like spoonfeeding but we can't really afford to have someone supervising or doing all of the work.

Also, I was reading some posts about insulating, do you have to have insulation boards between the blocks in the outer walls or could you just get the beads pumped on their own?

Thanks for your help.

you , more can't most can't afford NOT to have professional assistance

there IS NO build your house manual - only guidance .

I am not meaning to be rude - please believe that . To build a house which complies with all b regs today is not easy - for anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I have to go with sinnerboy on this aswell. You cant follow the homebond manual but you still intend to do all the administration, quality control and organisation yourself?

In an ideal world it would just be a matter of arranging the different trades to come along at the required time. There are, however, loads of cowboys out there that will pass themselves off as tradesmen. If you dont know even the basics of what their job entails how are you meant to make sure they are doing it right?

Unfortunately thats not the most difficult part. There is managing of finances, organising the different trades and when they need to interact wth each other, choosing the different materials to use and what construction method is most appropriate.

For a regular house the fees for having a professional supervise will be about the same price or less than a decent suite of futniture. A simple mistake like not organising the plumber to come at the correct time can cost alot more time and money. You'll still need somebody to sign off the building at different stages anyway for mortgage purposes, if they arent satisfied with the standard of work carried out then there will be more setbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

We will be having professional tradepeople doing all of the main work, I wouldn't dream of trying to build on our own especially when we have no knowledge but I'm looking for a guide on what order to approach people basically.

I meant that we cant afford to pay a project manager to oversee the work at all stages (were quoted 12k and thats on top of other architect fees for signing of on stage payments etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

Thanks Guys, Point taken, will have to suck it up and pay the professionals!!!

I'll just have to sacrifice my fabulous new kitchen & garden!! i suppose it's a small price to pay if I dont want it to fall down around my ears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

meant that we cant afford to pay a project manager to oversee the work at all stages (were quoted 12k and thats on top of other architect fees for signing of on stage payments etc)

I'll just have to sacrifice my fabulous new kitchen & garden!! i suppose it's a small price to pay if I dont want it to fall down around my ears!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Perspective -
    UK market research indicates that kitchens and bathrooms are on average stripped out and refitted there every 15 years . I would expect similar findings here ( when the economy recovers of course )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Its not really a matter of the house coming down around you, its more the small things like poor fitting of insualtion and waterproofing(higher heating bills and damp walls and ceilings), bad construction detailing and having to fork out huge money if scheduling is messed up or work has to be redone.

Advertisement