Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flathead or gunard (sea robin)

• 11-02-2009 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Hey.
    I'm making Thai fish cakes from a recipe that calls for either of these two types of fish. It's from one of these overly authentic cook book which doesn't allow for the fact that you mightn't be able to get the ingredients half way across the globe. I've never heard of either, just wondering if anybody knows what type of fish would work well as a substitute. I don't even know if they're oily or white or whatever.
    Thanks
    I tried wikipedia all I learnt is that both types of fish are extremely ugly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hey.
    I'm making Thai fish cakes from a recipe that calls for either of these two types of fish. It's from one of these overly authentic cook book which doesn't allow for the fact that you mightn't be able to get the ingredients half way across the globe. I've never heard of either, just wondering if anybody knows what type of fish would work well as a substitute. I don't even know if they're oily or white or whatever.
    Thanks
    I tried wikipedia all I learnt is that both types of fish are extremely ugly.

I think you'd get Gunard in a good fish mongers here.
    As far as I know, it's a course white fish.
    I think sea bream is similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sc317

Gunard is very similar to haddock only cheaper according to Richard Corrigan in Sunday's Business Post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

they are , well the red variety anyway , common enough off the west coast of ireland if thats any good to you.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/gurnard%20-%20red.htm

I am not an angler and I'm on the east coast so I can't be of any further help sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Gurnard has the advantage of being inexpensive if you find it.

You can substitute any white fish with a medium-firm flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Thanks guys. I'm surprised that you can get it here, I'm in Cork so I'll check the English market.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thanks guys. I'm surprised that you can get it here, I'm in Cork so I'll check the English market.
    Cheers.

Or even better - go to The Good Fish Processing Factory shop in Carragaline for some really fresh, inexpensive fish.
    Much fresher and cheaper than the market.
    I no longer buy fish in the English Market!

Advertisement