Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf GTTDI

• 11-02-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Might be taking a 02 Golf GTTDI as a trade in for my car.What is the going rate.How much should i allow him for it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

What engine?

What mileage?

What spec? highline/comfortline....

3 door or 5 door?

never mind the GT bit that's nonsense,nothing but a badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dohc

67000 miles

150 bhp model

serviced every 6k

silver

still on uk plates

25th anniversary model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

dohc wrote: »
    67000 miles

150 bhp model

serviced every 6k

silver

still on uk plates

25th anniversary model

if it was serviced every 6k then somebody knew their stuff, you have to service the PD150 engine at that interval to avoid premature camshaft wear. They need to be fed the correct grade of oil also.

Other than that i've heard that they are very quick in a straight line and can embarass a boxster through the gears. The anniversary spec is lovely too, especially inside. The BBS wheels on the anniversarys have a problem where the laquer peels, these will need to be redone if they haven't been already.

Whats the money like. Hard to price the anniversarys in Irelans as there are so few of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Ferris wrote: »
    The BBS wheels on the anniversarys have a problem where the laquer peels, these will need to be redone if they haven't been already.

Just wondering if you know anyone in ireland that does this as I've tried the lads in bray and they couldn't help.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Just wondering if you know anyone in ireland that does this as I've tried the lads in bray and they couldn't help.

Havent a clue mate, I was under the impression that the bray crew were the best in Ireland at the mo. I think that there is an exchange service via ebay but you would be without your wheels in this case.

• Advertisement

Other than that i've heard that they are very quick in a straight line and can embarass a boxster through the gears.

No it wont. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dohc

Eh i dont no he looking for 11k on english plates lol thats abit much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

You can bring one in to Ireland for around 10k including vrt so 11k on the plates is a silly figure.... 11k incl. VRT migth be worth it, but you could still get it cheaper yourself from the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

The 25th anniversary model is more sought after than your standard golf tdi. Bear that in mind when comparing against other cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/VOLKSWAGEN/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-51-240-4294967159/advert.action?R=200906328202311&distance=9&postcode=ec2m3yb&channel=CARS&make=VOLKSWAGEN&model=&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2002&vehicleRegLetter=52 is about 8300euro + VRT of 1943.. so less than 10.5k all in from the UK.. Granted, it does have 11k more miles, but in this economic climate you'd get that down even further in the UK. There are a few black ones going cheaper too that I saw.

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    No it wont. :D

Really :D, I haven't driven a standard Boxster or a PD150 golf, just something I read on honestjohn, probably should've known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

Driven by the right person... it will... trust me....

Boxster drivers, don't imagine your car is quick.... it isn't... period...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

bauderline wrote: »
    Boxster drivers, don't imagine your car is quick

Yeah, the Boxster is just a German sports car, the Golf GTTDI is a weapon!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Driven by the right person... it will... trust me....

Boxster drivers, don't imagine your car is quick.... it isn't... period...

TDi drivers - same applies.
    Driven by anyone, a 150bhp Golf will not embarass a 204bhp Boxter. There's probably a particular mid-range shove where the Golf will be at it's best and be able to hang around the rear view mirrors of a boxter for a couple of seconds, but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

dohc wrote: »
    67000 miles

150 bhp model

serviced every 6k

silver

still on uk plates

25th anniversary model

That's going to need a new timing belt... Might be something to haggle with

The anni model is sought after to an extent but there are umpteen clean examples on pistonheads and VW forums in the uk all of which will have had the wheels done under the VW recall.

Do you know what number it is?

A boxster driven by peter marks himself might have trouble shaking off a 150 golf driven by the stig,that is the only instance where i think the golf might embarrass the porsche lol!

Okay,

I can only guess you pair have never driven a PD150. I got one of the first to come into Northern Ireland and drove it for three years. I can honestly say it is one of the best cars I have ever owned and rate it highly amongst the many I have driven. That thing could shift, no question, even in fifth gear the acceleration was very impressive.

I have also driven a boxster on a couple of occaisions, for what claims to be a sports car I would say the performance is piss poor and the handling is passable, but I wouldn't jump up and down about it. In short its a cheap ass pretend porsche and I would waste the money on it.

My father got a Carrera 911 4S last year, now that IS a quick car, but the best part is the handling, sweet jesus you can fire that thing into a corner and it doesn't blink...

Does anyone know off the top of their head what the torque figures for the PD150 and boxster are... might be interesting....

You pair?

Torque is for pulling livestock trailers!

The Boxster isn't "porsche" fast,some knock it some praise it,it might not be 911 like in handling but the mk4 golf handles like a hovercraft even the 150pd which shares the same suspension as the mk4 GTI,the boxster could out handle it and out brake it,and out run it,even in bog standard form.

Don't get me wrong i'm VW mad and a big fan of the MK4 but i am also a realist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

Will there ever be a day that somebody, somewhere posts a thread about PD engined VAG products without some bog warrior coming on claiming dat dems be weapons of cars and will leave everything in the known world 'standing'.

A remapped Golf will struggle to catch a knackered Peugeot 106 GTi, let alone a Porsche Boxster.

• Advertisement

Okay,

I can only guess you pair have never driven a PD150. I got one of the first to come into Northern Ireland and drove it for three years. I can honestly say it is one of the best cars I have ever owned and rate it highly amongst the many I have driven. That thing could shift, no question, even in fifth gear the acceleration was very impressive.

I have also driven a boxster on a couple of occaisions, for what claims to be a sports car I would say the performance is piss poor and the handling is passable, but I wouldn't jump up and down about it. In short its a cheap ass pretend porsche and I would waste the money on it.

My father got a Carrera 911 4S last year, now that IS a quick car, but the best part is the handling, sweet jesus you can fire that thing into a corner and it doesn't blink...

Does anyone know off the top of their head what the torque figures for the PD150 and boxster are... might be interesting....

Boxter handling is passable? If thats the case then the Mk4 Golf handling is a resounding fail. If you're impressed by 150bhp then I'd really wonder if your old man has a 911. How much quicker is the 150 Golf over the 130? Not a lot, a second here and there. My Celica was quicker than a 130 Golf, and the Celica was certainly not a quick car.
    The 130 and 150bhp Mk 4 Golfs are THE most over rated car the world has ever seen. Even the Toyota AE86 gets closer to it's hype, and no need to highlight how much hype that car has.

klaus23 wrote: »
    Will there ever be a day that somebody, somewhere posts a thread about PD engined VAG products without some bog warrior coming on claiming dat dems be weapons of cars and will leave everything in the known world 'standing'.

A remapped Golf will struggle to catch a knackered Peugeot 106 GTi, let alone a Porsche Boxster.

Never I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

320 v 340 in the Boxsters favour.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=35118
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=26893

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

does anybody want to help the OP or are we going to discuss the performance of the golf versus a boxster....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Is there such a thing as a GTTDI in this country?
    Is it not just a TDI that boy racers stick the GT badges onto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

its a TDI with GTI interior

The badge was stuck on by the dealers in the UK (i believe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

i'd a 150tdi for a while and while it could spin the wheels in third it certainly was no boxer beater. I remember I'd had a drag on a private track (cough) with a petrol 150bhp and the petrol just had the legs.....rev range is very limited with the diesels. I got rid of it after 6k with an average of 35mpg thrashed everywhere. The 130bhp pump diesels are I am aware a better drive.

Bearcat wrote: »
    i'd a 150tdi for a while and while it could spin the wheels in third it certainly was no boxer beater. I remember I'd had a drag on a private track (cough) with a petrol 150bhp and the petrol just had the legs.....rev range is very limited with the diesels. I got rid of it after 6k with an average of 35mpg thrashed everywhere. The 130bhp pump diesels are I am aware a better drive.

Spin wheels in 3rd? I'm open to correction but unless you had bald tyres on Ice that would be, IMHO impossible.

Could this possibly be another gross exaggeration regarding the GTTDI's supercar performance

Victor_M wrote: »
    Spin wheels in 3rd? I'm open to correction but unless you had bald tyres on Ice that would be, IMHO impossible.

Could this possibly be another gross exaggeration regarding the GTTDI's supercar performance

My old Golf tdi would spin in 2nd on a dry road and 3rd on a wet but there are a lot of cars that will do that. The 1.8T GTi will certainly do it.

My friends Boxster S will spin up in 3rd on a dry road however (me being a bit cack handed :o).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

victor M not a word of a lie, I could spin the wheels in 3rd on a dry road but there is a big caveat, it could never properly translate the power to the road and with such a narrow rev band it was no street road. The car imo is lairy, loved to lift a rear wheel in a corner like to go straight with the steering wheel pointed in another direction.

A super car it was'nt. The 130 was a more relaxed and not such a frenetic drive.

victor M not a word of a lie, I could spin the wheels in 3rd on a dry road but there is a big caveat, it could never properly translate the power to the road and with such a narrow rev band it was no street road. The car imo is lairy, loved to lift a rear wheel in a corner like to go straight with the steering wheel pointed in another direction.

A super car it was'nt. The 130 was a more relaxed and not such a frenetic drive.

Fair enough, as I said I was open to correction, I know I can't do that in my M3 (now in fairness I haven't exactly tried)

Finally! A Golf TDi owner who knows what he's talking about! I tip my hat to you sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The GT is just a spec line for VW, GTI interior/wheels/suspemsion and brakes etc. I had the 150 for a while and it hab been remapped to 180 I believe. The downside of this was the engine imploding. I liked it myself but I woulddn't be foolosh enough to say it would embarass a boxster

Also I hope you have a strong left leg cos you will be changing gear a lot

To be clear...

The PD150 performance is impressive for what it is.... a TDI ....

The Boxster performance felt crap for what is was.... a sports car....

I am not trying to say a PD150 is blistering quick... it ain't... just quick for a TDI... at least that my opinion.

I currently drive a 545i.... its quick enough .... but again.. would not call it blisteringly quick...

A 911 is blisteringly quick... no doubt about it... add on the four wheel drive and your talkin...

... in fairness on any given day the Boxster would likely clean out run the PD150 ... however that isn't saying an awful lot is it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brianmahon12

hey. does anyone know anything bout remapping vw golf mk4 130 bhp (tdi)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

hey. does anyone know anything bout remapping vw golf mk4 130 bhp (tdi)

Give chippedire a call, Joe really knows the 130pd inside out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

My old Golf tdi would spin in 2nd on a dry road and 3rd on a wet but there are a lot of cars that will do that. The 1.8T GTi will certainly do it.

I have a Mk5 GTI, two liter with a turbo and it doesn't wheelspin in third. Was this an engineering fault that caused bad handling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

As a rough guideline, but with actual documented track times:

The faster 2006 168bhp (ie "170ps") GTTDI does a lap of Autozeitung test track in 1:52.4min. That puts it around an A3 1.4 TFSI and VW Polo GTI level and slower than the rather big Skoda Superb 2.0TDI.
    http://www.fastestlaps.com/car45da0b5cb32ef.html

The 2005 271bhp Boxster S (there are like 12 Boxster versions, dunno why people keep quoting "the Boxster") does it in 1:42.3min - that puts it faster than the E60 M5, M6, Jag XKR and close to the new Audi S4 (all on that track).
    http://www.fastestlaps.com/car45f1333ade16d.html

The other non-S Boxsters didnt do that track, but from looking at their times in other tracks vs that 2005 Boxster S, the baby (2002 986 Boxster - 225bhp) delivers maybe around 95% of the performance of the Boxster S.
    http://www.fastestlaps.com/car45ccc2d90f590.html

The fastest TDI on the track was the A8 4.2TDI, delivering an impressive 1:48.1min lap time. It did that with 322bhp and 479 ft/lbs Torque under the hood.

Further comment not required! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Can't believe there's a discussion about Golfs Vs Boxsters here and that bad traction is being thrown about as if it's a good thing.

I had a MKIV GTI and the amount of wheel hop was a joke.

The amount of variants of the Boxster engine I don't even know how you could start to compare.

R32 is the only thing that should be in the same sentence of a Boxster and even then...a Porsche is still a Porsche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

MarkN wrote: »
    bad traction is being thrown about as if it's a good thing.

Thank you!! I was beginning to think I was missing out on something. Seems some people think the more wheelspin they get out of a car the better???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brianmahon12

hey guys. when a notice lik..."engine workshop" comes up on the dash of the car what does this mean??

Advertisement