Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

User rant.

• 11-02-2009 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Damn someone has just had a PC replaced and now decided to tell IT that the PC had some files .pst with project work. PC has been re-imaged.

I have to recover his mailbox 12 times, from month ends...ARRRRGGHH

Why do I have such stupid users.. computer policy states that the PC is not backed up.. yet i still feel obliged to help this guy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Damn someone has just had a PC replaced and now decided to tell IT that the PC had some files .pst with project work. PC has been re-imaged.

I have to recover his mailbox 12 times, from month ends...ARRRRGGHH

Why do I have such stupid users.. computer policy states that the PC is not backed up.. yet i still feel obliged to help this guy.

Because, unfortunately, without these stupid users a lot of us wouldn't have a job :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Grrrr.. guess I should have policy that "prevents" them from saving local...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Grrrr.. guess I should have policy that "prevents" them from saving local...

After 16 years in this business, one thing I've learned is that there is no policy that can circumvent the shortcomings of your average user :p

They'll get around it somehow and in the end you'll still be called in to sort out the (their) mess.

Ce la vie.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Policies to lock down saving to the C: drive along with email archives on a user's network share is the only way to go imo. Means you only have to move the user's profile when migrating to a new box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Just use group policy to disable PST creation in Outlook. The darn things cause more harm than good. I also try and keep replaced PCs for one week just in case. I have also never restored a mailbox, ever. You will find they can live without the emails. Sure they store far too much irrelevant junk as it is!

• Advertisement

Oh, and use an automatic email archiving solution. We pull read email off the server after 90 days. Keeps the Exchange DB nice and trim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

JDxtra wrote: »
    Oh, and use an automatic email archiving solution. We pull read email off the server after 90 days. Keeps the Exchange DB nice and trim.

Interesting. What product is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I've just begun to rollout commvault for backups and there a really good archive for outlook exchange.

preilly79 wrote: »
    Interesting. What product is that?

Symantec KVS, although I am sure there are many others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

This is exactly why our users haven't got access to the local hdd and aren't allowed to install SW on the deskstops blocked via GPO.

Logon scripts are in place maps the user drive and other network drivers.
    user data is stored on a san share user delete its no problem restore it via dataprotector.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

at times like that I usually tell the user it cant be done as its an ID10T error

Advertisement