Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban the mods for a week

Options
  • 11-02-2009 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 38,460 ✭✭✭✭

A couple of weeks ago I started a thread in this forum(it was quickly moved to helpdesk) and I started to notice the amount of complaints regarding certain moderators as I read through the forums.

It has become quite clear over the time my other thread has been running that a lot of complaints/appeals concerning the same moderator surface at around the same time.

Its clear the reasons for this could be the following,

Somebody spots the thread and has personal issues with the same mod and decides that its a great time to make a complaint as two complaints are better than one.

Or

Its just a silly time of the year and the forum is gone crazy

Or

The mod is having a bad week.

Now I was just looking at a few of these cases and while I don't moderate I do think I'm a reasonable person. It looks to me in a lot of these cases that when you see 3 or more threads concerning complaints pertaining to the same moderator that the mod is having a bad week whether that be due to home life stress or time of the month(female problem most often although I know some males that go through around the same time every month).

So basically you guys in Feedback and Helpdesk have to go through all this junk and try and decide whats going on and whether the complainant has a case or not.

Well I have a suggestion that might save you a lot of time. If you see three complaints against a moderator in the one week, ban the moderator from acting in that capacity for the rest of the week. Now this might seem harsh but I think its guaranteed to save you guys in these forums a lot time and effort of reading through multiple complaints about one moderator in one week.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So let me get this straight - three complaints will see a mod take time out even if those claims are unsubstantiated and come from idiots with an axe to grind?

Yeah seems fair :rolleyes:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sorry, thats not going to happen.

All it takes then is three "buddies" to complain about a mod and they are removed. There are complaints here alright but there are 1.7Million carbon lifeforms reading boards every month and complaints are to be expected.

We should have 10 times more.

We hope to be addressing the whole feedback area in the next month or two when the CM job is filled.

Thanks for your input but I think this thread should be closed because I think its going to get derailed into another bitching session at the mods (not that I think you are, just that its going to attract that from the regulars).

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I have a suggestion that might save you a lot of time. If you see three complaints against a moderator in the one week, ban the moderator from acting in that capacity for the rest of the week. Now this might seem harsh but I think its guaranteed to save you guys in these forums a lot time and effort of reading through multiple complaints about one moderator in one week.

What's to stop people abusing that system and conspiring to get any mod they like banned? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement