Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone, what data addon?

• 11-02-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting myself a Iphone from ebay (or where ever I can get value for money ;-) I'm currently a customer with O2 and was wondering if any of you would know what data addon I'd have to get to make the the Iphone work (and how much it costs.)

I'd also be interested to hear if other operators offer similar data addons and at what price?

Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

You can get 250 MB for €7.50 but you would probably be better off with 1GB for €15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've a 2G iPhone on Meteor and I never go over my 250Mb allowance a month. It's €10 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I've a 2G iPhone on Meteor and I never go over my 250Mb allowance a month. It's €10 pm.

This. I have it with my 2g iPhone and I rarely go near using 150 megs and I use it constantly for maps and browsing in fact I'm typing this using the iPhone and data addon :)

If it's a 3g one and you will do heavy and I mean really heavy browsing get the 1GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You don't mention if your billpay or prepay.

If you're prepay with O2 you'll pay 99c a day for 50MB usage. You'll pretty much be charged the 99c the first time you connect each day.

If you're billpay I'd suggest trying the €7.50 for 250meg one and then see how your usage goes and upgrade if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

I have an iPhone 3G, Firmware 2.2, unlocked on the 3 Ireland network as 3 Pay (PAYG)

Calls and texts are good value but the best part is the data is €9.99 for 30 days for 1GB although I have found that it is more Fair Use than 1Gb as went over last month for free.

Service is pretty fast and you get access to Planet 3 and My 3 for free.

Also, you can avail of 3 Like Home in the UK so calls, texts and data are the as if you are in Ireland.

Meteor/Vodafone/O2 all charge 99c per day for 50Mb then 2c per Kb after!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

If you are buying a 3g phone you will need at least 300 - 400 MB per month, irrespective of network. Vodafone were not mentioned above and their 1GB ISP add on at €9.99 per month is similar to the others mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

I'm a big fan of Meteor's 250MB for a tenner. Been using it with my iPhone 2G for close to a year now and have yet to go over the 250.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

CivilEx wrote: »
    If you are buying a 3g phone you will need at least 300 - 400 MB per month, irrespective of network. Vodafone were not mentioned above and their 1GB ISP add on at €9.99 per month is similar to the others mentioned
    Why would the OP need 300 - 400 MB per month if he buys a 3G iPhone? Are you trying to imply that because a 2G iPhone has slower data speeds, the OP will go through more data using a 3G iPhone?

you probably need more than 250Mb as the iPhone 3G sort of eats data on the QT. (cydia, installer, maps, location services, mail, weather, stocks, itunes, app store all use more data than you would imagine)

the thing I like about the 3 package is it is €9.99 for 1Gb on pay as you go whereas the vodafone and meteor packages are only available on bill pay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

scottyboy wrote: »
    you probably need more than 250Mb as the iPhone 3G sort of eats data on the QT. (cydia, installer, maps, location services, mail, weather, stocks, itunes, app store all use more data than you would imagine)

I have all of those apps/services and more on my 2G. I can't speak from experience, but I doubt using the 3G would cause me to download twice as much data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

scottyboy wrote: »

the thing I like about the 3 package is it is €9.99 for 1Gb on pay as you go whereas the vodafone and meteor packages are only available on bill pay!
    I can't say I agree with your statement, as email on handsets generally doesn't use that much data; the header is normally downloaded instead of the entire mail.

With regard to the other items you've mentioned, such as the App store, maps etc, the first month may see the OP download more than usual, but I doubt, until the OP states otherwise, that they will be using well over 250 MB each month.

fair enough, but it is always "how long is a piece of string!?"

the iPhone is one of these gadgets that you tend to use more and more, it is also more of an internet device with a phone rather than a phone that does internet (like normal phones). this tends to result in more usage, combined with the extra speed of 3g vs edge, you tend to use the youtube and gps functions more often as they are literally more usable.

this is my experience with a 3g iPhone using approx 800Mb per month when using the phone daily to browse for 30 mins (BBC and RTE type pages) and checking email (not just headers but content is contained in iPhone mail messages), iFooty daily, GPS functions 1-2 times a week, Flight Track 1-2 times a week and adding Apps from Installous, Cydia and App Store 2-3 times a week.

addition: regardless it is €10 for meteor to give you 250Mb or €9.99 for 3 to give you 1Gb!? plus you don't have to be billpay to get this service unlike all the other networks. And finally, the 1Gb is actually fair use (in excess of 1Gb) whereas Meteor charge 2c per Kb!!!!! over your 250Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Why would the OP need 300 - 400 MB per month if he buys a 3G iPhone? Are you trying to imply that because a 2G iPhone has slower data speeds, the OP will go through more data using a 3G iPhone?
    Everything about the 3G phone is about data usage and when you have fast browsing capability in particular, it stands to reason that you are going to use more data if you are looking at more pages. E-mail is not the problem, its' usage is generally low, but when you start with YouTube and Maps as mentioned above, the data usage gets high. You tend to use "satellite" instead of maps etc. i.e. your habits change

Before I had the iPhone 3G I could happily manage my Windows Mobile device with less than 50MB per month. Its' never less than 400MB now. BTW, I did try the 250MB option with O2 and fould that I had to stop using data near the end of the month, before moving to the 1GB option I now have with Vodafone. While it is possible, I think that any add on less than about 400MB p/m will lessen the 3g experience imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5 johnnyjj

I have a 250mb data add on with meteor now for a few months, but last month I went over my data charges by almost e400, I have a nokia n95 and purchased it because Im a night shift worker and alot of times it can be very quiet in work so I thought this with the add on would pass the time rapidly. This was explained to the guy in the store when I was upgrading the phone and he recommended the 250mb option for 10eur a month and told me unless I was using the phone as a modem I wouldnt go over my data add on, I feel duped.

Im only hoping as being on the highest tariff for over a year with meteor that they will work out something as a goodwill gesture, its extortion that they dont cap your add on, I didnt seem to be using the internet any more exsessivly than any other month but the proof is in the pudding (bill).

Has anyone else dealt with meteor on a similar issue and had a positive result????

I was with Meteor with my original iPhone (it was a 2g version) and setup the ISP option. As I was pay as you go, i didn't have the option to purchase an add on; however, they were the cheapest EDGE/GPRS option available as prepay.

Anyway, after a couple of days of use doing nothing more than updating the weather widget and stocks for the laugh, i noticed that my balance had went from €50 to less than €10! I went online to check my account and noticed that my iPhone was using data pretty much all the time.

Well, to cut a long story short, I contacted Meteor and explained the situation. Initially, they were not helpful but after proving that as I was speaking with them (there and then) that my phone was using data!! How could I be using the internet and speaking to them on my iPhone at the same time!!

They asked me to phone back the next day so I did and was refunded €40. Success!

Basically, if you can prove some of the usage i.e. when you are in bed, was not facilitated by you then you have a chance.

good luck

Advertisement