Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ringworm or Lice????

Options
  • 11-02-2009 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

How do I tell the difference? I have a mare and both her and her foal have bald patches on their necks. It's only on one side and looks like it may have been scabbed but isn't any more. It's just bare skin now. They only have a couple of patches each. Neither are gaining weight and Im thinking now that maybe this is why. As I've exhausted all other possibilities.

Anyone else have any similar experiences? Any input would be welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

Lice would cause the hair the hair to thin because the horse is scrathing at it, may also come out but in a large area. small hairs would still remain possibley.

Ringworm is very easily identified, it comes out in circular patterns. about the size of a two euro usually. its highly contageous.

If you want further help you could post a picture and I could help diagnose it for you. I would like to stress I am not a vet (although currently studying to be) so this would be just my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

As stated in the charter, please remember that there is to be no veterinary advice given on boards.

Any advice given is not a professional opinion. If in doubt, please call a vet. The advice that you get here should be treated the same as from a stranger off the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭spottykatt

Get a vet for sure, any vet will diagnose it for you.

For your own information/interest- ringworm is not always the size of a 2euro coin, in general i find it can vary greatly often being smaller than a 1cent coin. I wouldnt bother going to the trouble of posting a pic because either way the treatments are veterinary licensed products so you will require a call out from your vet.

Best of luck!

Advertisement