Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Internet/Bebo Charges - Confused?

• 11-02-2009 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

My wife has been complaining lately that she is getting charged for using BEBO on her O2 prepay phone. My Daughter also has O2 since Christmas, and appears to be able to use BEBO happily even without credit?

Attached is an extract from her phone history from the O2 website, I've also added her recent top-ups, and removed all other voice/text information just leaving the Internet usage.

Could overcharging be the case ?

Could she be perhaps accessing something incorrectly ?

Feedback welcome, thanks !

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,251 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

it looks like she's not been charged most of the time, could she have visited some other websites besides bebo...and then got charged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

it looks like she's not been charged most of the time, could she have visited some other websites besides bebo...and then got charged

I thought that to, but she says only BEBO ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,251 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

eddiem74 wrote: »
    I thought that to, but she says only BEBO ?

I'm not going to tell your wife she could be wrong, i'll leave that up to you, best of luck with it;)

definatly dosen't look like she was charged...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

it looks like she's not been charged most of the time

the reason most of the charges are zero is that the first few connections of each day reach the 99c mark so the rest aren't charged for. 99c per day remember ;)

unless you know that and are talking about something else?

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    the reason most of the charges are zero is that the first few connections of each day reach the 99c mark so the rest aren't charged for. 99c per day remember ;)

unless you know that and are talking about something else?

So 99c per day, even though their website says:

"Bebo on your O2 mobile offers you unlimited access to Bebo.com. It gives you the ability to view your profile, upload photos and receive comment alerts. You can also post comments, mail and sayings by text message. And it's *FREE until 28th February 2009. Excludes roaming standard. Offer ends 28th February 2009, standard data charges thereafter. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

She needs to connect to bebo through the O2 mobile internet page (looking at the mobile version of Bebo) any other way will not zero rate the internet call and will be subject to the 99c per day like you can see in the call log.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

So 99c per day, even though their website says:

"Bebo on your O2 mobile offers you unlimited access to Bebo.com. It gives you the ability to view your profile, upload photos and receive comment alerts. You can also post comments, mail and sayings by text message. And it's *FREE until 28th February 2009. Excludes roaming standard. Offer ends 28th February 2009, standard data charges thereafter. "

No bebo should be free. I was just explaining why most of the charges are zero. But daryll's solved the mystery now anyway :)

She needs to connect to bebo through the O2 mobile internet page (looking at the mobile version of Bebo) any other way will not zero rate the internet call and will be subject to the 99c per day like you can see in the call log.

Hmm, okay this is what she does.

Phone: Sony Ericsson 910i (I think, slider type phone)

- Enters Menu option
    - Selects Globe (O2 Home)
    - Once connected, she scrolls down the page to where bebo is listed, along with facebook, etc..
    - Selects bebo (its shows as mobile not desktop), and logs in

She says she might review information on the page while moving down to bebo, but she never enters anything else that is listed.

Is this the correct method ?

She has also texted O2 for the bebo link, as we are going to try connecting that way to see if that makes any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

When was this brought in? When the offer first came out, god forbid I used Bebo and the mobile version was a specific link rather then going via the o2 Internet page. I think I also had to text a number to get the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Re texting
    Free text 'bebo' to ‘50205’ and receive a link to the website.
    You will receive the link by text message, select the ‘go to’ option and get connected to bebo. There is no charge for this message.

Re charging
    Is it possible that the OP is being charged for accessing the O2 home page before reaching Bebo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Please do if it still does not rate properly I will get on it for you fix it and return the money.

Please do if it still does not rate properly I will get on it for you fix it and return the money.

Thanks!

She has texted a couple of hours ago to 50205 but still not got a response ? Hopefully soon though........ and we can test it from tomorrow.

Well still no text back from O2 with the bebo link last night as we were heading to bed, so I suggested to my wife, turn off your phone so we can ensure there is no service of any kind running, and we can start afresh today.

Well from bad to worse, she turned off the phone, but now it won't turn back on ? Seems to buzz/vibrate when you press the on button, but won't actually turn on ? :confused:

Off to the O2 shop this morning......... :(

Ok, so my wife popped into O2 in Swords today, and they said they would replace her phone, but couldn't do it there, so sent her to Northside where they had stock.

While in Swords she asked the guy about being charged, and he said "ah yeah, once you click on the O2 Home and connect you are charged". She asked further about free bebo, but then told her to call up customer support for clarification.

She then went to Northside for the replacement phone, and asked the guy there, who was also unsure about the charges, and said call CS too.

So the current status is; new phone, getting charged, re-texted "bebo" to 50205 as she still has had no response yet with the link via text. :confused: She is not going near the O2 Home menu option and only using the phone for text/calls. I am also monitoring her daily history online so we can see when anything shows up.

More to come I am sure..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Well still no text back from O2 with the bebo link last night as we were heading to bed, so I suggested to my wife, turn off your phone so we can ensure there is no service of any kind running, and we can start afresh today.

Well from bad to worse, she turned off the phone, but now it won't turn back on ? Seems to buzz/vibrate when you press the on button, but won't actually turn on ? :confused:

Off to the O2 shop this morning......... :(

Texting bebo to 50202 no longer works (believe me, I tried numerous times). Oddly enough it stopped working around about the time they started charging customers to visit the o2 homepage....

This is the bookmark she will have to save to the phone (to bypass the homepage and getting charged)

http://m.bebo.com

(Thats what 50202 used to send to you)

Ok, so here's the story.

Took the bebo link provided by jordainius (http://m.bebo.com) and added it as a webpage bookmark in my wifes phone. Got her to check her credit balance and hit goto from the bookmark. She went straight to bebo and logged in, so link works, and she could login.

She then logged out and checked her credit balance again no change. :D She done this again on and off for most of the afternoon/evening for varying amounts of time, and her credit balance was unaffected, and nothing shows up in her history on the O2 website recent calls history.

So then last nite at around 22.30 she went again to login but forgot and instead hit O2 Home from the Menu, immediately I heard a cry "oh s**t, I'm after hitting O2 Home", as soon as she could hit cancel she did, the homepage did not even fully load to display everything, and she was charged 52cent for 26KB usage ?? :confused:

Option 2 listed here makes not mention about any charges going through the O2 Home page?

Is this a unique problem to my wife or are others experiencing this ?

From her perspective she had always gone into bebo via the O2 Home, but at some point she started getting charged for it, and it was never communicated to her that she would be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

General data charges for speakeasy are .99c per day and then u can use up to 50mb for free, Bebo only charges if you do not have it bookmarked the reason being that bebo now has some banner on its page and if you access it through the o2 home page then it charges you but if its bookmarked then your not going to incur any charges ;)

Advertisement