Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help find me a Zoom lens for my Sony A200 dslr

• 11-02-2009 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi folks. Not sure if this is in the right section, but here go's anyway.

I currently have the a200k i got for xmas, but would like to buy a zoom lens for it. The current one is the 18-70mm...

After looking around i think i might go for this one.
    AF100-300APO telephoto lens,Minolta D series But as i am bit of a noob to this i was hoping for some help in making my decision, I can get this one at a very good prce and in good cond. too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Are you looking for zoom lens as in:

- For close up photography (I.e. Macro lens) (50mm - 100 mm)

Or for:

- Zooming from a far distance, let's say sports, landscapes (Telephoto lens)

YOu can get both of them @ Sony but they are very pricy. Check Ebay or Adverts.ie.

>If you can get the one you mentionned for a good price just go for it I'd say, and play around with it a bit. I know I haven't found a macrolens for the A200 just yet, at least not one that's affordable. And lenses for the Sony don't come as widely available as some of the other brands. So just buy it, play around with it, and you can always upgrade in 6 months or a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

I got an A200 for christmas also. Now i am a complete novice, upgrading from compacts & this DSLR was recommended as a good start. I got the dual lens kit, 18 - 70 mm + 75-300 mm.

Try warehouseexpress.com, they have realitively "cheap" lenses for the A200.
    The second lens isn't the fanciest or all bells & whistles, but i trialed it on distant objects, landscapes & in parks & for me it was excellent. Again this is from the mind of a novice...& at the minute everything with it impresses me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭MURDO

Good stuff. Thanks for the reply/s.. Yeah its a telephoto lens i was hoping to get... For Zooming from a far. This Minolta one seems to have got good reviews previously and i'm getting it at a bargain price also... so seems like the way to go.

Thanks again.

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

Just as a mater of interest where and how much are you getting that lens for?

80 Euro. Give or take my bargaining skills when i get there. Will have to attach it to the camera and take a few snaps before i part with the cash though.... He has an A350 at present. however is splitting the whole kit to get some cash together...

Fairly reasonable price i think, considering the sony lens is 150.00 sterling.

What do you think???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

very little at 80 euro, you might get someething for around £100 but unless you chance ebay or second hand you will struggle.

this tamron might be ok, but expect to pay more in Ireland.
    I got the sigma 70-300 apo for £150 from the uk. good exchange rate these days for some reason might make it a possibility? ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I take it like me you are just looking for a starter telephoto lens. If you are prepared to buy used you will get what you are looking for, for under €100. I have a Sigma 100-300mm that cost €30 and a Cosina 70-210mm that cost €50 and also came with an Minolta 500si camera and 35-70mm.

Check out Adverts.ie, DoneDeal.ie, GumTree.ie, BuyandSell.ie and search for Minolta that throws up the Sony stuff as well. Ebay obviously is a good place to search as well. Dyxum.com is a Minolta/Sony forum where you can also find stuff for sale and they usually have reviews of most lens as well.

Happy hunting,
    Rob

Thanks Rob.

nice one. will take a look...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

80 quid, go for it I say, more then decent enough price... If this fella would have a macro lens (50mm) he needs to get rid off you can always let me know :rolleyes:

sNarah wrote: »
    80 quid, go for it I say, more then decent enough price... If this fella would have a macro lens (50mm) he needs to get rid off you can always let me know :rolleyes:

Will let you know.

Ade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Check out dyxum.com for all alpha mount lens reviews. That 100-300 isnt a bad lens at all and all the older minolta lenes are well built.

Word of advise to anyone with an alpha - dont get the sigma 70-300. The auto focus gears get stripped by the tourquey motors in the a200/300/350 and the a700. My one failed in four weeks, brought it back and bought a minolta 75-300. Much better lens : )

Thanks.. Yeah been doinga wee bit reading and this is a good lens for thie likes of someone looking to get going on a telephoto setup... TBH. I wouldn't be going out of my way to find any faults with it for the price i'm paying, which is now E 60 BTW, which is an absolute bargain... Collecting on Saturday/sunday. so will be sure to post some feedback and maybe a few pics... weather pending of course...:)

Advertisement