Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach warns FF to expect 'no thanks'

Options
  • 11-02-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭

where does this guy get off he wants thanks to solve the problems he created Ffs the sooner thsi muppet goes the better

Taoiseach Brian Cowen told the Fianna Fail parliamentary party last night that they would not be popular or even thanked for all their Herculean efforts to save the country.

Yet the Taoiseach's sombre message still received a round of applause at the end of the meeting.

Mr Cowen explained that our future was on the line and that international confidence depended on demonstrating that the government has a plan and can deliver it.

end quote

full articlehttp://www.independent.ie/national-news/taoiseach-warns-ff-to-expect-no-thanks-1635210.html

this guy is really trying my patience, knuckle down, sort it out ,take a 50% pay yourself and stop whining

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I nearly laughed esp the bit about Hurculean effort being expended. Brian baby just STFU and get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Imagine what the response will be like when the Government decides to re-capitalise the banks again, or worse still Nationalise the two major banks ?

The fact that little leadership (except the bear mimimum for the 2Billion) has been shown will haunt Fianna Fail. Huge cuts may have to take place at one time and there can be no shirking. This cuts may have to include social welfare, 3rd World Aid (which I am already cynical of), and other difficult measures such as the return of 3rd level tuition fees. This would of course be in conjunction with other hits that both the private and public sector will need to take.

However, we will take it a lot better if these measures work. For if they do, a Bad local election may give way to a very good General Election in 2012. Otherwise the party will have another poor local, and an appalling General.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Het-Field wrote: »
    Imagine what the response will be like when the Government decides to re-capitalise the banks again, or worse still Nationalise the two major banks?
    They have more or less admitted that this current 7 billion recapitalisation will fail because they are talking about setting up a "bad bank" to purchase "toxic" assets. By "bad bank" they mean you the taxpayer. How many more billions are going to be spent bailing out the banks? When are they going to admit they don't know what they are doing?

Then they expect our thanks for taking our money to pay for their mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Pity the "no thanks" didn't come a few elections ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

SkepticOne wrote: »
    They have more or less admitted that this current 7 billion recapitalisation will fail because they are talking about setting up a "bad bank" to purchase "toxic" assets. By "bad bank" they mean you the taxpayer. How many more billions are going to be spent bailing out the banks? When are they going to admit they don't know what they are doing?

Then they expect our thanks for taking our money to pay for their mistakes.

Surely Anglo Irish will be utilised as the "toxic bank", in spite of the fact that Lenihan said that nothing fo the sort would happened ? I would hold my breath over this, because I am not sure if the Nationalisation of Anglo Irish was simply a bailout of friends.

Of course a "toxic bank" will have the taxpayer footing the bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It appears that FF parliamentary party, and if you look at most of their supporters who you talk to or post on here, inhabit a parallel universe to the rest of us.
    You could make a SciFi drama out of it :rolleyes:

The property bubble where developers ran amuck, prices skyrocketed, where tax incentives were put and left in place to aid develoeprs and investors, where public spending was increased and supported only by availability of cheap credit to keep bubble going, where financial institutions seemily did whatever they liked to keep the facade going without regulation by state entities, had absolutely nothing to do with the governments of the day.

They created the environment that resulted in this mess and now they want thanks for leaving us holding the baby :rolleyes:

Thanks Brian I really do appreciate the fact that my kids will have to pay for college like we once had to, that they will probably have to emmigrate like their grandfather and grand uncles because once again there will be no prospects in Ireland except for the connected few, that I will not have a pension to speak of, that the few public services available will be slashed to bits, that your party has helped drag the name of this country through the mire and no one in their right mind will now invest here.

Why not do the decent hting and do as your former boss and mentor suggested to "the whingers" who saw the writing on the wall ?

The sheer arrogance is mind boggling.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement