Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart or Eircom dilemma

Options
  • 11-02-2009 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

I can get Smart telecom, 4mb uncontended, inc line rental for €40 details here http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_broadband.html
    but its extra for calls, and there's a 2/3 week wait.

The eircom 3mb one is €45 inc line rental, not uncontended but includes evening and weekend calls to all Irish numbers which I'd use a lot and would significantly reduce my mobile bill, and theres only a few days wait.

So which to go for, and do uncontended lines make that much of a difference?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

3Mb contended, could be as low as 100kbps at peek times. 4Mb uncontended, is 4Mb always.

I've never had a speed drop with Smart, at any time. With BT, it used to fluctuate all over the place, mainly from 6-11PM.

Smart should really be up and running in about 5-7 days, the 3 weeks is just a max, but it's usually not that long. Mine took 6 days from ordering to plugging in the modem.

For calls, look into VOIP with Blueface or something like that. Smart also do VOIP and bundled call packages, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I would be a Smart fan also to be honest, our bill never hits over 54 euro a month, and speeds are fantastic. We would have 2 or 3 laptops working at he same time and its pretty quick.
    When we ordered Smart, it took less than a week to get out into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

jor el wrote: »
    For calls, look into VOIP with Blueface or something like that. Smart also do VOIP and bundled call packages, I think.

Smart no longer do VOIP in the same way that Blueface do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

Thanks all, thats very useful. Never even considered VOIP, must look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

im not sure about eircom, but i know thats not a problem with Smart, the limit is very very generous and they don;t seem to have many (if any) ports blocked.

I'm guessing eircom would be the same, except the cap might be smaller than Smarts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

SheRa wrote: »
    I would download a TV programme or two a week from azeurus or isohunt when I was on NTL internet (in a different house, unfortunately its not available in my new place), would eircom or smart allow me to do this as well.

Eircom has just agreed to help combat illegal downloading, they will be a warning process...three strikes and you're out. All I've heard so far is that they will help stop illegal music downloads but I'm sure tv shows will be the same seen as they're bit torrents too.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Have you thought about Magnet, we would have a lot of offers for new customers.

http://www.magnetentertainment.ie/products/llu/index.htm

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I can get Smart telecom, 4mb uncontended, inc line rental for €40 details here http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_broadband.html
    but its extra for calls, and there's a 2/3 week wait.

Smart have call packages that you can add also.

€5 for unlimited landline off peak calls (evenings and weekends).

€10 for unlimited landline anytime calls.

Details here:
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_package.html

BTW Eircoms equivalent package (3mb BB + off peak calls) is €50

So Smart is:
    - €5 cheaper
    - 1mb more
    - unlimited cap
    - no arbitrary contention at the DSLAM level.
    - Much better ADSL2+ technology (more likely to get the speed you are paying for and more stable connection).

It is a no brainer really.

BK thanks for that. I found out yesterday evening about their unlimited calls bundle. Im going for the 6mb line with unlimited calls off peak for the grand total of €50, inc line rental with BB free for the first 3 months. Deadly! :D

Thanks all. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I would download a TV programme or two a week from azeurus or isohunt when I was on NTL internet (in a different house, unfortunately its not available in my new place), would eircom or smart allow me to do this as well.

I wouldn't recommend going into what you download and from where as such discussions relate to warez and are against boards.ie rules.

I'd personally kill to get a connection from Smart instead of my current ISP but its never going to happen :(

Cabaal wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend going into what you download and from where as such discussions relate to warez and are against boards.ie rules.

I'd personally kill to get a connection from Smart instead of my current ISP but its never going to happen :(

Woops :o, Ive edited that now. Thanks.:D

Advertisement