Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil heating problems - please help!

Options
  • 11-02-2009 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi! I'm renting a house with oil heating. We experienced some problems and we had it serviced few times lately. 6 weeks ago the plumber said that the water was gone from the system and she refilled it. But it stopped heating again and 3 weeks ago the plumber returned stating, that water was gone again and it shouldn't, because it should last for a year or so not for two weeks. She said we may have a leak.

Week ago oil run out. We ordered new one and fallowing bords.ie messages I pressed the red button (because it didn't start on it's own). It burned, heaters, water were working. Two or three days later hot water was gone and shortly after radiators almost stopped heating (they get worm, but very little, not enough to heat the house). One radiator upstairs stopped completely (it happened year ago). I bleeded radiators couple of times, we have gurgling noises inside the ones upstairs.

I believe we have open system, oil pump is in the shed outside in the garden. Yesterday I went to check pressure (nr 2 on pictures) and it was almost zero (when the plumber serviced it it was set on 1 or 2). Also, I discovered a leak - probably the one she was talking about.

I read all I could to find resolution for my problem on boards.ie but I only succeeded in number of theories: since the heating burn I guess we don't have an airlock, it could be again that the water is gone from the system in the shed. But I don't know where is the water feed. We called the property company that rents the house and they were suppose to send the plumber 3 days ago. Still no sign.

Any ideas how can I fix it? It's freezing! And the burner makes humming noise all the time if turned on, however there's no smoke anymore coming from it (it used to hum and burn producing smoke). Also could you please help me and explain the devices in the pictures? For what I know 7. it's a thermostat, 2. boiler gauge, 5. pump.

Please see the attachments, I tried to make it as clear as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Payton

To be quiet honest, if the house is rented the problem falls back on to the landlord, you might be opening a can of worms if you get someone out to fix it without the owners permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I've seen some bad ones over almost 40 years - yours is well up there :eek:
    You should never see smoke - maybe a slight bit of condensation in cold weather. If it's been smoking, it is probably sooting up. Looking at the marks on the front of the boiler, it was certainly blocked up or burning badly somewhere over the years.
    If you are loosing that amount of water, it is likely that there is a leak under the ground between the house and the boilerhouse.

1= Safety valve. 2= Pressure gauge. 3= not in photo, but maybe fill valve. 4= Pressure vessel. 5= Burner. 6= Oil filter & Fire Valve. 7= Thermostat. 8= Water circulating pump.
    It's a Riello G3 burner.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 herrzeba

Thanks a lot Jim. I very much appreciate your help, looking at the other threads I noticed you are giving accurate proffesional oppinions - well done! There's someone coming to see to it tommorow. On the other note: they are renting the houses expecting high rent while houses standard itself is very very poor. I know, I lived in 4 of them already. But that would be for a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

herrzeba wrote: »
    Thanks a lot Jim. I very much appreciate your help, looking at the other threads I noticed you are giving accurate proffesional oppinions - well done! There's someone coming to see to it tommorow. On the other note: they are renting the houses expecting high rent while houses standard itself is very very poor. I know, I lived in 4 of them already. But that would be for a new thread.

Glad to help. It also looks like one of the baffles from the boiler is sitting beside the burner cover (red box). This will mean that the boiler is not as economical as it could be. Although if it has been smoking, that is not economic anyway. You re right to protect the waterpump from the leak, but unless there is a lot of water in that container, there is probably another leak somewhere. I hope that guy sorts it. You should not be paying. The house owner should pay for repairs and maintenance. You should pay for the oil :) Maybe you should claim from him because he is costing you money by not having the boiler properly maintained.
    Jim.

Advertisement