Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrospectively Registering a Tenancy

Options
  • 11-02-2009 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Through ignorance/laziness/naivete/stupidity, I have undeclared rental income that I now (!) need to get on top of. First thing I need to do is get an Accountant, but in the meantime can I ask a question?

For my first letting, I tried to get the Tenant to fill in his details for the PRTB registration. He wasn't overly cooperative, but I decided not to push it, so the tenancy was never registered.

Now, I had NO IDEA how much this was going to cost me when it came to offsetting the tax on the rental income.

My question is: If I manage to retrospectively register the tenancy (140 Euro fine I think), can I then claim back the mortgage interest I paid? I have a contact number for the ex-tenant. The tenancy lasted from 2006 to 2007.

Has anybody done this?

Many thanks,
    /M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Manuel wrote: »
    My question is: If I manage to retrospectively register the tenancy (140 Euro fine I think), can I then claim back the mortgage interest I paid? I have a contact number for the ex-tenant. The tenancy lasted from 2006 to 2007.
    /M.
    You cannot register a former tenancy. The late registration you are referring to is for existing tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Thanks for that.

I've been trying to figure out this profit/loss business and I'm confused.

I moved into my new house in August 2006 so it became my Principal Private Residence. I began to let my rental property (my old house) in November 2006. So I received two months rent in 2006.

How do I calculate the deductions on my rental income for the tax year 2006, e.g. house insurance? Is it for the period August to December, or Nov-Dec or the whole year?

Hope the question is clear.

Thanks again.

Advertisement