Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twitter - Twits.

• 11-02-2009 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Jesus.

If I hear another DJ or radio programme that says "we're on Twitter", I think I will scweam and scweam and scweam, until I stop and scweam some more.

Chris Moyles is doing it. Simon Mayo and Mark Kermode have one. And just this morning, I popped into a supermarket to get a paper, and lo, the mighty Ray D'arcy is tweeting on about Twitter.

Other non-radio celebrities are doing it.

When I listened to the Good Doctor's film review on Friday last, I couldn't help but think there is a disconnect between those who use Twitter and those who don't. It ruined last weeks reviews. More time was taken up by saying 'I'm doing this and that on Twitter', which doesn't exactly work on a podcast.

Am I in a minority of one? Passing media fad that will die on its arse with boredom or here to stay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

DMC wrote: »
    And just this morning, I pooped into a supermarket to get a paper, and lo, the mighty Ray D'arcy is tweeting on about Twitter.

I usually do it the other way around - get the paper first and THEN.....cheap shot ;)

I know what you mean, it is one of these things that people don't hear about, and then, two days after they have seen it for the very first time, they talk about it like they've never been without it. I must say, tho, that I'm addicted to following Stephen Fry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Damn beaten to it! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Passing media fad that will die on its arse with boredom or here to stay?
    Its been kicking about for around three years now, and is just starting to hit the mainstream. Not sure how many people will try it out and then drop it, but I don't think its a fad overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Firefox spellcheck ftl. :D

I have read that Twitter has been useful for the bushfires in Victoria recently, for the emergency services passing out info by text message. I can see it as a useful application in those circumstances.

But do I really want to know in detail what radio DJ's and celebrities are doing at any given moment? Or be told of the know-how to do so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

I heard of this "Twitter" yoke for the first time today....and I wasn't arsed looking it up, but now that it's a topic on boards, I'm going to have to look......B*s*ards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Dreading when all the users in my company want to start twittering. Via the medium of the net I mean, they already twitter verbally.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

This first it entered my field last week when it nominated a photo of mine for photo of the day. I clicked on a few links it gave and I'm still none the wiser.

Can the OP tell us what the presenters were doing on twitter or what was twitter doing for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Only heard about it on the radio this morning. Ray darcy said it was broken or something... Stupid social networking sites.
    Will have to look it up so i at least know what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

It's a mini-blog thing innit. Festival or 'twestival' in Dublin sometime this week. Appeals to one's sense of self-importance, let everyone know your comings 'n goings 'n thoughts on all things mundane. Kinda like....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

humberklog wrote: »
    Can the OP tell us what the presenters were doing on twitter or what was twitter doing for them?

In the case of Mayo and Kermode, they* were giving updates on the show and people were just adding themselves as people who were following them. tbh, it didn't appear additional to what texts and e-mails were doing already. There was less "wittertainment" than normal.

I'd go and check on the comments now, but alas, Twitter is trés goosed at the mo.

Also, I remember my first interface with Twitter was last summer when the BBC Radio's cricket coverage on Test Match Special used it. I signed up thinking, yup this will be a good way of keeping up to date with the score while on the move. Alas, no, as it was more "good crowd in today, hoping for a hundred" or "I've just seen someone get a huge 99 ice cream, I have to get one now". That, and when the texts don't arrive on time, your phone is bombarded with 10 or 20 texts in a row. Most annoying.

*When I say they, it was just Mayo, as Kermode can just about operate an electric kettle, by his own admission.

It's a mini-blog thing innit. Festival or 'twestival' in Dublin sometime this week. Appeals to one's sense of self-importance, let everyone know your comings 'n goings 'n thoughts on all things mundane. Kinda like....

Duck's hoop: Nail, Hammer, Head, Boink.

• Advertisement

DMC wrote: »

Duck's hoop: Nail, Hammer, Head, Boink.

Who the hell are these guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Isn't it just like updating your Facebook status?! Or is there more to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Twitter is microblogging. Each twitter post can be no more than 160 characters. There is an awful lot of crap out there (people twittering just for the sake of it), but if done right, you can post constructive things - useful links, little announcements, etc.

Pity 95% of the twittering world is posting mundane rubbish. "I am eating toast. Yum", "I just went to the toilet.... give it 5 minutes... pheewwww", "Can't wait for the weekend, I hate Wednesdays... " etc. etc.

Boards.ie runs a twitter service called Tweet (www.tweet.ie) - should give you an idea of what its about.

Mr E wrote: »
    Twitter is microblogging. Each twitter post can be no more than 160 characters. There is an awful lot of crap out there (people twittering just for the sake of it), but if done right, you can post constructive things - useful links, little announcements, etc.

Pity 95% of the twittering world is posting mundane rubbish. "I am eating toast. Yum", "I just went to the toilet.... give it 5 minutes... pheewwww", "Can't wait for the weekend, I hate Wednesdays... " etc. etc.

Boards.ie runs a twitter service called Tweet (www.tweet.ie) - should give you an idea of what its about.

Cheers.

Thanks duck's hoop and DMC. I'm fully up now and I've even developed an opinion on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Twitter ftw

None of my mates will use it though so it's just myself and stephen fry for the moment.
    Did anyone follow his tweets when he got stuck in a lift last week? Very lulzworthy.

Richard Bacon's whole show was based around it last night (bbc5live until 1a.m.).
    He was finding out the ideal topping for toast. It seams to me to be quite like After Hours.

humberklog wrote: »
    He was finding out the ideal topping for toast. It seams to me to be quite like After Hours.

Seems to me we are sharing a train of thought;)

Advertisement