Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook Express, pop.o2.ie, problem logging in with eircom

Options
  • 11-02-2009 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

Since a few days I am unable to connect via POP3 to my o2.ie mailbox. The web mail works fine

The following message appears:

Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: 'pop.o2.ie', Server: 'pop.o2.ie', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid command', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

I have tried with or without SSL, and also tried incoming alternative pop3.o2.ie and the corresponding IP address to that server without any luck. I have recently uninstalled AVG Free, since I read somewhere that the AVG auto email scanning might be to blame.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Email providers have a bad habit of changing their smtp settings. But before we look at that. Tell me have you changed your broadband provider recently? I had a similar problem with a client recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

No, I have had eircom for four years. This happens when I try to retrieve emails, so it appears even the incoming server is wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Were you muckin about with settings when it stopped??
    You could just delete the pop account and create a new one it will create it with the right ports etc etc.. or just check your settings to attached..pop3.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

eircom have migrated selected user accounts to thier new Webmail system & along with that the POP & SMTP settings have changed.

I know you are accessing 02 but via eircom?

You can tell which eircom system you are on HERE:

You can check the settings for each service HERE:

Not sure though if this is actually effecting you.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

JohnnieM wrote: »
    Were you muckin about with settings when it stopped??
    You could just delete the pop account and create a new one it will create it with the right ports etc etc.. or just check your settings to attached..pop3.JPG

No, it just changed from one day to another, without me touching any settings at all.

• Advertisement

eircom have migrated selected user accounts to thier new Webmail system & along with that the POP & SMTP settings have changed.

I know you are accessing 02 but via eircom?

You can tell which eircom system you are on HERE:

You can check the settings for each service HERE:

Not sure though if this is actually effecting you.

Thanks for this hint, however, since the pop settings seem to be wrong because I cannot even retrieve emails, I guess this is not the source of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Remove the account completely from your email client and set it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

flodis79 wrote: »

Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: 'pop.o2.ie', Server: 'pop.o2.ie', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid command', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

Your outgoing mail server setting should be that of your isp, in this case eircom (thats what I'm understanding from your post), your incoming should be O2.

Double check your settings, sounds like they are incorrect.

Advertisement