Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile/Phone best for internet.

• 11-02-2009 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hi ,looking into getting a mobile for internet and boards.
    Is there a paticular phone/mobile device best for boards and surfing ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

It's a cliché, but I'll say it: iPhone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

You can read my history of posts on boards.ie to give you an idea of just how much I dislike the iphone.............so you can take this next sentance as the truth....

The iphone will give you the best web experience of any mobile phone that is currently on the market.....when it is not crashing that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

The internet browser on the iPhone is second to none. If you are mostly going to use your phone for the internet, I would strongly recommend one. Be aware of the other limitations of the iPhone however (no MMS, flash, copy and paste etc). I've tried browsers on other phones and none come close to being as easy to use as Safari. Definitely don't get a Blackberry! The only other mobile browser I've used that was half decent was the Android one, but it lacks multi touch and so feels crippled and clunky when you use it.
    Oh, and since the 2.2.1 update, it doesn't crash anymore!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭golfguy

iphone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

iphone or Nokia 5800?
    yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Hi ,looking into getting a mobile for internet and boards.
    Is there a paticular phone/mobile device best for boards and surfing ?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Thanks for the replies ,I didn't expect people to recommend the iphone. I'm currently using an e870/02 with my laptop and thats the only web access I have on the move.
    If I was to buy an iphone ,could I use my current modem with the iphone sim?
    I occasionally use the laptop when I'm out on the road and if I'm stuck for pdf files ,stuff like that. So I don't think the iphone would be a one for all for me.
    But I would love to be able to access boards on the move:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I find my E61 with Opera Mini very nice to use, handset is cheap as chips these days too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,251 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

yea, e61 or e71, can't go 2 far wrong with either for the internet...they don't look as cool as an iphone but there a lot more functional...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

E51 with Opera Mini installed. I'm on one right now, it's a fantastic phone. Cheap and more functional than an iPhone, although admittedly Safari is a far better browser.

Breezer wrote: »
    E51 with Opera Mini installed. I'm on one right now, it's a fantastic phone. Cheap and more functional than an iPhone, although admittedly Safari is a far better browser.

does Skyfire work on the e51, have you tried it?

• Advertisement

The SIM from the iPhone can be put into a modem, I'm fairly certain. I've put it into loads of other phones and the data connection works fine.

So the iphone is the best phone for browsing ,albeit with it's few glitches.
    The nokia's E51-71 are great functional phones that get the browsing done ,without the whistles.

Considering apple is a company I detest at the moment ,along with the cronies u2. I'll probably stick with the nokias ,I had changed to sony erricson because I had nothing but trouble with nokia though.

How are the nokias on calls ? ,I got fed up with patchy calls on the last few nokias I had. Never have any trouble with my current sony.

Thanks very much for the replies :)

I don't think the Sonys are best at browsing they don't seem to hold onto the 3G signal as well, 2 much flucation...I was unable to play mobile poker on any sony phone...it allways timed out...

The iphone can't play videos in it's browser, so I reckon a nokia with skyfire installed it just as good if not better for a true web experience...

mobius42 wrote: »
    Oh, and since the 2.2.1 update, it doesn't crash anymore!:D

Rubbish.

It still crashes the same amount, on all 5 iphones I know with 2.2.1 installed.

2.2.1 was apples lame attempt to counter yellowsn0w, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't think the Sonys are best at browsing they don't seem to hold onto the 3G signal as well, 2 much flucation...I was unable to play mobile poker on any sony phone...it allways timed out...

The iphone can't play videos in it's browser, so I reckon a nokia with skyfire installed it just as good if not better for a true web experience...

Excellent ,thanks alot for the info:)

That's not true. While they can't play flash video, they can play other embedded video types such as mp4.

mobius42 wrote: »
    While they can't play flash video, they can play other embedded video types such as mp4.

But most websites require flash....I'm not knocking Safai it's a brillaint looking browser but you can get a full web experience on non iphones..

Lads sorry to bother again ,just wondering what can I expect to pay for an E51 ?
    I'm getting a list price for a speakeasy at €159

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Lads sorry to bother again ,just wondering what can I expect to pay for an E51 ?

I got mine on o2 clear 50 for €60 when they were going for €120 officially. They've come down since. If you go for billpay then it really pays off to go into the shop in person and see what they'll offer you. If you go for prepay then you probably won't have much leeway. Have a look at the operators' websites for current prices. AFAIK it's available on o2 and meteor.

I haven't tried skyfire yet actually, must take a look.

• Advertisement

Sleipnir wrote: »

Are you serious? That piece of clunking crap? The X1 should go and hide away under a big rock until someone puts Android on it.

Until then I would rather use AOL circa 1997 to browse the internet than have to suffer with the X1.

cheers breezer ,I'm in a slightly sticky situation at the moment with o2.
    I'm in a contract for broadband at the moment that has 6 months to go ,30/month. If I had a mobile ,I would use it all the time.
    So basically ,this phone will be a browser for an existing sim that I have ,I won't be making calls because my existing sim/package isn't for making calls.

So it's waste 180euro on 6months contract or spend 160 to get a browser that I'd use all the time:confused:

Should I wait ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I havent read all this thread: One word of warning on the iPhone, and I say this as an Apple fan. Fantastic phone for browsing but I increasingly find that O2 is dropping signals on my Edge connection. That is O2's fault but it means I often get "connetion dropped" or "network connection failed" on safari. I have the first gen, so this may not be an issue for 3G but ask people who have it.

That's about right, it must be from the website, the e51 is €169 in stores...that's a good price, think it's €199 on Meteor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

E51 on www.adverts.ie second hand for about 100 euros unlocked.
    E61 for less than that on eBay.
    Did I mention the E61's 2.8" screen, QWERTY keyboard and joystick ?

Advertisement