Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt/political reform

Options
  • 11-02-2009 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I was just wondering, what process is required for reforming our political system?

Some of the main points I refer to would be:
    - a reduction of TDs by 1/3 (to 100-110 TDs)
    - removal/reduction of the senate
    - leave TDs pay as is, but remove extra pay for sitting on various committees (is this not part of the job/necessary to advance within your party?)
    - reduce number of junior govt ministers
    - reduce pay of junior and senior govt minsters (by at least 1/3)

I know that govt is in direct control of some of these (wages + no jun ministers), but does it also have control over no of TDs in the Dail?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

What changes do you think will occur as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭timbel

Soldie wrote: »
    What changes do you think will occur as a result?

First and foremost in the current climate, money will be saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eoinbn

I am not sure i agree with reducing the number of TD's, especially given how a government is formed. Reducing the seats reduces the choice of candiates for ministerial positions and no party in this country has enough talent to fill the senior positions with competent people, so reducing it is hardly going to help.

Personally I would move to a government similar to the USA. Vote for the president who puts the government together with suitable people from inside and outside of politics. That way we know what we are voting for, instead of voting for an election manifest that is often very different when they come to drawing up the program for government due to the influence of their supporting parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

- leave TDs pay as is, but remove extra pay for sitting on various committees (is this not part of the job/necessary to advance within your party?)

I would agree... it would bring it more in line with reality.

However at the moment, with the current shenanigans in the dail, wide scale revolt is probably only going to be the realistic outcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

If you reduce the number of Deputies in the Dáil, our democracy becomes less representative. The more seats there are by constituency, the more representative constituencies are.

It's possible that fewer representatives at national level could be a good idea. But that's only if we get real local and regional government like other European countries. To do this well, we'd need a top-to-bottom reform of the Irish state.

There'd be more democratically elected representatives, and mayors with powers, at regional level (e.g. provincial or based on existing regional borders), and local authorities with real powers (e.g. county councils and smaller units).

They would have the power to tax and to directly deliver public services. Because things would be as local as possible at the most appropriate level, it'd be easier for people to demand better from their politicians. Because central government is so distant from where people live their daily lives, the heads in Leinster House would have much fewer powers, tending to national-level issues, planning, legislation etc. Regional and local authorities would work on the detail.

Anyway, this would make more sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭manicmonoliths

I think there is a lot to be said for trying to get rid of the 'bundle' system our government has. Say for example I like FF economics policy, but don't like their welfare policy I'd prefer FG's. There is really no way in which I can have both. It's one of the major flaws of the party system, along with back benching. I'd much rather see a lot more matters going to referendum then seeing the policies of the Dáil majority passing every time.

Another problem I'd see is that people have a tendency to vote for the party rather than their candidate. I might like my FF TD but despise Brian Cowen and other FF policies, a vote for my FF TD is a vote for Brian Cowen and FF when all I really want is my hard working TD who happens to be a FF member. Directly elected Taoiseach would be far superior to the current sysyem in my opinion along with an appropriate shift to local politics.

I would also like to see an independently elected more powerful Senate perhaps one in which political parties members are forbidden (difficult to enforce I know). This Senate could and more importantly would reject Dáil proposals and would severve as a true check on political party dominance in the Dáil.

More regular elections too would be a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭timbel

eoinbn wrote: »
    I am not sure i agree with reducing the number of TD's, especially given how a government is formed. Reducing the seats reduces the choice of candiates for ministerial positions and no party in this country has enough talent to fill the senior positions with competent people, so reducing it is hardly going to help.

I agree with your point above about a reduction in talent.
    However, in recent years Govt. ministers seem to have been appointed to give an overall geograhic representation in the cabinet, rather than on talent.
    A prime example of this is Martin Cullen, who has at least 1 major b*lls up in every dept he has been in, and nothing of note to show (as far as I can remember anyway).
    All he is good for, is a guaranteed Waterford seat to FF due to being at the cabinet table.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

timbel wrote: »
    I was just wondering, what process is required for reforming our political system?

Some of the main points I refer to would be:
    - a reduction of TDs by 1/3 (to 100-110 TDs)

I know that govt is in direct control of some of these (wages + no jun ministers), but does it also have control over no of TDs in the Dail?

It would make a lot more sense to HALF the number of TDS and pay them twice what they earn now.

In that case, you could get some real qualified people who currently work in the private sector and in industry, instead of the current nepotisim.

Its blatantly obvious that the current politicial crowd have no concept of reality.
    They don't understand what its like to struggle to pay a mortgage and everything else.

At least if we had very highly paid positions, we could attract people from all over the world with the skills and ability to deliver.

Lets be honest, Brian Lenihan has no business being in his current position.

What would you say if Microsoft appointed your mother as Chief Technical Officer? Its a similar concept!

Advertisement