Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flip Helmet, where to buy?

• 11-02-2009 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭

hey guys,
    just looking at starting to bike and was wondering where can I get a good value flip helmet?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

You sure you want a flip-up? They're not as safe as integral helmets...

Would you be buying online (after trying for size in a shop first of course) or in a shop?

Cotter's has a selection of flip-up helmets and he comes highly recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭draycottgirlz

well I wanted to use the same helmet for car track days and on a bike....
    Not a fan of helmet so thought a flip helmet would satisfy me most?
    If one was to go for a cheap helmet, does that mean its not as safe?
    Thanks

well I wanted to use the same helmet for car track days and on a bike....
    Car helmets and Bike helmets aren't really designed to do the same thing even if, at the end of the day, they're both helmets...
    Not a fan of helmet so thought a flip helmet would satisfy me most?
    A flip-up helmet wouldn't be comfortable in a car as the part that flips up will either stay at the top - and hit the ceiling of the car - or will go all the way to the back - and hit the seat and push your head forward...

My advice: get 2 helmets. One full face for the bike. One open face for the car.
    If one was to go for a cheap helmet, does that mean its not as safe?
    Thanks
    That's not necessarily true and nobody seems to agree on the "high price = high security" debate.

You could use the latest SHARP test results if you want to see which helmets score well in this particular test. But you'll find that people strongly oppose these results (you'll find it's because they spent €600 EUR on an Arai helmet that only scored 3 stars...).

There you'll see that helmets costing £180 GBP can score 5 stars (AGV S-4) whereas helmets costing £400 GBP can score only 2 stars (Schuberth S1 Pro).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Steffano2002 you deserve your mod badge, you have given me great food for thought

Now, must go measure my head for sizes :P the helmet place co uk have a good guide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

You could use the latest SHARP test results if you want to see which helmets score well in this particular test. But you'll find that people strongly oppose these results (you'll find it's because they spent €600 EUR on an Arai helmet that only scored 3 stars...).

There you'll see that helmets costing £180 GBP can score 5 stars (AGV S-4) whereas helmets costing £400 GBP can score only 2 stars (Schuberth S1 Pro).

I like flip helmets for practicality while commuting. The SHARP test seemed to help with bringing the price down on my latest one. I bought a Shoei Multitec for stg210 at the last bike show in the NEC. It was Stg 350 when I priced it a year before from a dealer - before it got a SHARP test score of only 3. Factor in the currency change and it was about half price.

Now all I have to do is not crash and avoid brain damage...

And draycottgirlz- in case you don't know, there's 0% VAT on helmets in the UK and 21.5% VAT in Ireland, so UK dealers have a huge price advantage. And our government should hang their heads in shame for charging VAT on safety equipment... but I guess they have more to be guilty about right now.

• Advertisement

Steffano2002 you deserve your mod badge, you have given me great food for thought

Now, must go measure my head for sizes :P the helmet place co uk have a good guide
    I'm glad I could be of assistance! ;)

If you're not too far from Dublin you may also want to have a look at what's on offer at the Irish Motorbike Show at the RDS between the 27th February and 1st March.

I picked up a brand new Nitro helmet (I know they're not the best but back then I thought they were really good) for €70 EUR in 2007. Some great deals to be had!

And as stated by Popeleo, UK VAT on safety equipment is 0% so UK sellers already have a 21.5% advantage on Irish shops so it makes sense buying from them!

A great place to get helmets is Crossan's. They are based in Newry (NI) and do free delivery to the Republic. I couldn't recommend them enough!

As far as helmets go, I would recommend SHARK. They are the best helmets out there in my opinion and they don't come with a ridiculous price tag! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

Try www.betterthedeal.co.uk they have an ebay shop flip front cost 90 pounds delevered two days later the same on the long mile rd 260 euro.
    Rip off Ireland springs to mind

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have a good flip helmut and its a Nitro. cant remember the full name but it scored well on the SHARP test without costing an arm and a leg.

Unfortunately in recent years with the traditional main brand helmuts, such as Arai etc, you cant always equate price with quality.

Ive given up using Arai helmuts.

Advertisement