Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv Cards - Which do i need?

Options
  • 11-02-2009 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to buy a tv card for my pc and see loads of USB powered along with the usual ones.

Was just wondering if i need a particular type for it to work in Ireland (as i'm looking to buy from germany) Also if the usb ones work how come everyone doesn't use them? How Brilliant would that be? stick it in the laptop(on the train/at work) and you've got terrestial!

50 is the max i would pay http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp?agid=54&search.reset=1&search.sKey=

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

I may be wrong but the minimum postage from hardwareversand.de is 30 euro. Minimum postage from komplett.ie is only 12 euro. You could also get a card/usb stick from ebay for 10-20 euro.

As for using it on the train, it won't work as you need a constant fairly strong signal for digital terrestrial (it's not like a mobile signal which can be received on the move).

I'm assuming your talking about digital signals (DVB-T) and not analog signals?(Analog or Hybrid card-*actually not even sure if you can get a usb stick that does analog).

As for using it in work, if your workplace is close enough to a transmitter you could pick up the digital transmissions using "rabbit ears". (some USB TV sticks come with a mini aerial).

Take a look at the terrestrial forum (this thread should probably be moved there) to see if your in an area where digital trials are currently being broadcast.

In Ireland we are using the MPEG4 (H.264) codec. Places like the UK are currently using MPEG2.
    If your reading the specs of DVB-T cards/sticks you may notice they mention they only decode MPEG2 but don't worry about that. The TV cards job is to received the signal and pass it on to your computer. If you have the appropriate codecs installed on your computer it will decode them (i.e. any* TV card will work with MPEG4)

*well, maybe not ALL TV cards, 95% I'd say.

Advertisement