Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling

Options
  • 11-02-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭

I use to do alot of cycling when I was younger would like to pick it up again just to improve the fitness a little (been getting lazy since I moved to Kilkenny!) I use to do 40k in two trips one in the morning 10k to and back and one in the evening 10k to and back I prob only go at the weekends here but my question is what is the safest route in Kilkenny to go for a cycle say approx 10k starting from somewhere in the city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I would avoid the Castlecomer/ Bennetsbridge/ Kells and Callan roads as they are mad busy and really twisty. I know how dangerous they are from cycling them as a kid.

The Carlow and Waterford roads have a nice big hard shoulder to cycle on most of the way out of town but I would imagine cycling these could be quite boring.

Maybe head out the hebron road.. keep going and veer right, coming in the Carlow road from Clara direction. Or head for Freshford, cut across the nore by Campions pub at threecastles and in the Ballyragget road for a bit and head into town by the bleech road/ the weir?

A full lap of the ring road and home again would come to over 10k I reckon.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Ring road has a cycle lane that I'd stick to for starters (assuming it's not frosty).
    I used to cycle a little and tried to go out the kells road from town a couple of times because there is a good few options to turn left off it and return on the waterford road. But the kells road is none to safe and returning via the waterford is bleak enough and exposed a bit too so I gave it up.
    Castlecomer road would be madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I do a good bit of cycling and find the best route is to head out the carlow road. You can head as far as you want (even to the carlow bypass if your up to it!!!) and there is a good hard shoulder all the way.....
    Check out this site as well http://marblecitycyclers.com/about.html its a new cycling club in kk, they do spins on sat and sun; great exercise and you get to meet a few new people

Advertisement