Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tonights Internationals Round Up Thread

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

allybhoy wrote: »
    I take pleasure in seeing them loose aswell (and I am certainly not an Eircom league supporter), In fact almost as much as the average english man takes in seeing Germany loose
    If your "average english man" who took pleasure in seeing Germany lose pledged his undying allegiance to a football club in Germany, and exclusively watched German football, I would think that that man was a clown.

Wouldnt you?
    Although funnily enough anytime Germany qualify for any major tournament the English dont have to put up with the german media ridiculously over-hyping an average team who choke under the pressure. They also dont have to listen to the insufferable nasaly whiney screams of John Motson any time GERRRRARRD, LAAMMMPPPARRRD or RRHHOONNNEEYY go within 5 feet of the ball.
    The reason Irish fans of English football have to "put up with" English media attitudes, is because they follow English football. Funnily enough, English fans read English newspapers for coverage of English football, not German ones. Shocking, I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

CiaranC wrote: »
    If your "average english man" who took pleasure in seeing Germany lose pledged his undying allegiance to a football club in Germany, and exclusively watched German football, I would think that that man was a clown.

Wouldnt you?

The reason Irish fans of English football have to "put up with" English media attitudes, is because they follow English football. Funnily enough, English fans read English newspapers for coverage of English football, not German ones. Shocking, I know.

Yes but i dont pledge my undying allegiance to an english club.
    But if they did read German papers they would find that no other nation over-hypes like the english, 3 lions, spirit of 66, its coming home its coming home etc etc

SantryRed wrote: »
    Either would you have to listen to the English media if you didn't watch their channels tbh.

Yes but thats just it, we HAVE to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

[attempt at thread diversion]

Iniesta, Xavi and Xabi Alonso could make a mockery of pretty much anyone I'd say. I didn't rate Iniesta highly until maybe last season, but he looks a genius now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

dfx- wrote: »

Iniesta, Xavi and Xabi Alonso could make a mockery of pretty much anyone I'd say. I didn't rate Iniesta highly until maybe last season, but he looks a genius now..
    Consider me diverted. Michael O' Neill was doing the pundit bit on BBC1 NI for the NI match, did you catch him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Dont forget Senna who is arguably the most important member in there. He sits behind them mopping everything up and making sure others can pour forward. You could play any combination of iniesta,xavi,fabregas,Alonso and even Arteta in the middle as long as Senna was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Yeah Senna's a top player, he was fantasic in the euro's, one of the unsung heroes of that Spain side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

CiaranC wrote: »
    Albania was risky

Calvin Cline sight is 20:20!

Albania have only lost one game out of 5 in their group, Malta still haven't scored a goal or won a game.That was their first point of the qualifiers last night. I'd say the Poland and Portugal games were more of a risk.

Ah well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes but thats just it, we HAVE to.

no you don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I didn't rate Iniesta highly until maybe last season, but he looks a genius now..

Always thought he was the better player, although different, between Xavi and himself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Just seen the highlights of France-Argentina last night

http://www.soccerclips.net/br/videos/play/?954a580fd6d

Great stuff from la Argentina! Amazing goal by Messi while Newcastle's Jonas Gutierrez also stood out again, scoring a nice goal too.

kinaldo wrote: »
    Am looking forward to the Spanish team giving English footballers a lesson. Again.
    It would be more comforting to remember last night as the occasion of David Beckham’s record-equaling 108th cap, a milestone that means a great deal to the English and very little to anyone else. Or perhaps English football would like to confront an altogether more harsh reality and recognise that Fabio Capello’s team are so far behind Spain of that they could still be playing this morning and not have had a decent spell of possession.

It was brutal at times, mesmerising, but brutal. The Spanish midfield, Xavi Hernandez, Andres Iniesta and Xabi Alonso in particular, passed the ball with such precision that the England players might as well have been training ground cones for all their chances of an interception. Xavi left the pitch with eight minutes left to an ovation that told you all you need to know about how the Spanish venerate a playmaker, about how much they appreciate the man who set a pace that England could not match...
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/internationals/england-have-no-answer-to-spains-pass-masters-1607311.html
    Nice. Predictable but nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand, Brwon, Joe Cole - just some of the players missing from the England side last night. It was not a first choice England 11, and Spain had an extremely strong side out, best 11 imo if not mightly close to it. People saying that England are miles behind Spain, on the basis of last nights game, are being unfair imo

Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand, Brwon, Joe Cole - just some of the players missing from the England side last night. It was not a first choice England 11, and Spain had an extremely strong side out, best 11 imo if not mightly close to it. People saying that England are miles behind Spain, on the basis of last nights game, are being unfair imo
    I don't think they would make too much difference. Spain's 29 game unbeaten run includes 3 victories over England, 0-1, 1-0, 2-0. Spain are the best team in the world and those England players couldn't even qualify for the Euros.

I don't think it would make much difference. Spain's 29 game unbeaten run includes 3 victories over England, 0-1, 1-0, 2-0. Spain are the best team in the world and those England players couldn't even qualify for the Euros.

they may have still lost (probably would have), but how can you say having players like Rio, Gerrard and Rooney in your team would make no difference?

they may have still lost (probably would have), but how can you say having players like Rio, Gerrard and Rooney in your team would make no difference?
    I didn't, you misquoted me :)

• Advertisement

I didn't, you misquoted me :)

Ok, how can you think it would not make much of a difference? The result itself might have been the same, but the performance of the England side could have been very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Your patriotism is sorely tested sometimes.

Sitting in Croke Park, watching Kelly falling over when the Spanish are putting on a football masterclass on the TV. :D

Ok, how can you think it would not make much of a difference? The result itself might have been the same, but the performance of the England side could have been very different.
    Have the players you mentioned have ever convinced collectively for England? Only Gerrard and Rooney might have made a slight difference, the others are vastly overrated as it is.

The Spanish midfield in particular, even without Fabregas, is just a different class. England as a unit simply cannot compete with them.

stovelid wrote: »
    Your patriotism is sorely tested sometimes.

Sitting in Croke Park, watching Kelly falling over when the Spanish are putting on a football masterclass on the TV. :D
    You're very good at being presumptous.

I went to Ireland's last 3 games at Lansdowne Road and watched the Georgia game on TV last night, FYI.

Have the players you mentioned have ever convinced collectively for England? Only Gerrard and Rooney might have made a slight difference, the others are vastly overrated as it is.

The Spanish midfield in particular, even without Fabregas, is just a different class. England as a unit simply cannot compete with them.

Previously I would have agreed -but i do think there has been improvement in the England sides competence since Capello took over. Also, I think Rio is a very good organizer and calming influence for England, I think he would have made a difference.

• Advertisement

I went to Ireland's last 3 games at Lansdowne Road and watched the Georgia game on TV last night, FYI.

I assumed he was talking about himself, that he was at the game last night.

I assumed he was talking about himself, that he was at the game last night.
    Kudos to him, he had a go at me earlier in the thread and that was another pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

But if they did read German papers they would find that no other nation over-hypes like the english, 3 lions, spirit of 66, its coming home its coming home etc etc.

The only media that over-hypes their team more than English is the Irish media

Euro '88 20 years on

Giants stadium 15 years on

Italia '90 19 years on

etc. etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

germany beaten by norway. wtf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Read it again. I was talking about myself.

If I was referring to you, I would have quoted you.

stovelid wrote: »
    Read it again. I was talking about myself.

If I was referring to you, I would have quoted you.

Fair enough, I misinterptreted it. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Xavi captaining Spain to a win over England and chipping in with an assist.

Magic

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Xavi captaining Spain to a win over England and chipping in with an assist.

Magic
    Standard stuff for el maestro I would have thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

If England got the very very very dodgy penalty decision that Ireland got v Georgia in a competitive game I'd image ther would be war on the streets of Ireland over it, such is the hatred of England's national soccer team that is exhibited on these boards and in the streets and houses (public and private) up and down this land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

what:confused: people are england mad here?

and i dont hate england(uk)at all, sure i hope there economy is destroyed in the coming years but hatred? nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

anladmór wrote: »
    i hope there economy is destroyed in the coming years

I take it you are joking? please tell me you are.

Advertisement