Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't we ever hear good Rap Rock/Metal?

• 11-02-2009 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Something I've thought about before was the possibility of a good crossover between the genres, because as it is, all I've ever heard was the very worst aspects of both. I suppose there's always Rage Against The Machine, but it strikes me that there's a lot of possibilities that simple aren't explored.

Now, I know a lot of people here wouldn't listen to Rap, but trust me, there's some good stuff out there that you just don't hear about in the charts. So have a listen to this:

Imagine the above, combined with something like this:

Wouldn't that be fantastic? I would really love to hear a decent, talented rapper with some more complex, progressive music. None of this simplistic/lowest common denominator rubbish.

Maybe I'm alone here, but it something I'd like to hear.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Maybe I'm alone here, but it something I'd like to hear.

+1.

This might seem like a stupid example but on a different board I use they had a competition to crown a King of the board and someone made this as their campaign plot. The rap won't make sense because it's pretty much all users names but even still it sounds great with the Pumpkins sample

http://www.angrymarks.com/music/songs/cancer-KOTB%20Theme.mp3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I don't know if such complicated progressive metal would work though, kinda feel the vocalist would have to compete with the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I always thought of One Minute Silence as part rap / metal / punk ...

Time to dig out their albums :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

I don't know if such complicated progressive metal would work though, kinda feel the vocalist would have to compete with the music.

I don't think thats the case with Rage, Tom Morello is an unreal guitarist and De La Rocha's vocals go really well with the whole groove...

Thats my two pence anyways :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Hold on, Nu Metal died for a reason, wasn't that just the combination of Rap and Metal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hold on, Nu Metal died for a reason, wasn't that just the combination of Rap and Metal?

Some of it was yes, but you can hardly say the likes of Papa Roach are the kind of Rap and Metal combination I've described in my opening post, could you?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

A lot of Nu-Metal was just Rock bands with a token element of Hip-Hop to appear more musically adventurous and because it sold at the time. A proper Rap/Rock crossover should be an equal combination of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

8 posts in and nobody's mentioned Bodycount? For shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Jesus, that brings me back years Malice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

malice_ wrote: »
    8 posts in and nobody's mentioned Bodycount? For shame!

Crap, Beaten to it. Maybe if Ice T took some time off the set of SVU, we could get another bodycount album... if only the rest of the members hadn't been gunned down.

South Central gangland bands, great idea but lousy timing.

• Advertisement

Jesus, that brings me back years Malice.
    I think I'll go and post that video where it probably belongs on the nostalgia thread :).

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    if only the rest of the members hadn't been gunned down.
    Sadly D-Roc (guitarist) died of cancer and Beatmaster V (drummer) died of leukemia. You're right however about Mooseman (bassist), he was shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Retracting my statement, i thought i'd read more than Mooseman being gunned down.
    Sucks being old when your memory starts going. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Anyone remember the Judgement Night soundtrack? :)

l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Almost forgot this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Retracting my statement, i thought i'd read more than Mooseman being gunned down.
    Sucks being old when your memory starts going. :(
    Who needs memory when you've got Wikipedia :).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

adox wrote: »
    :)

love that song :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Jeez this is a bit nostalgic!!
    yeah always like it when there was some good crossover between rap and rock/metal. Most of the good stuff has already been mentioned here from RATM, Bodycount, One Minute Silence(irish rapper eh!) and of course the Judgement Night soundtrack was sweet. I would recomend some Workhorse movement. They mixd some rap, metal, jazz for a sweet sound. Pity they split a few years ago. Also check out Stuck mojo for some crossover.
    Still always nice to sit back and through on some Faith no More though. Ya cant beet the classics.........

Also now that i think about it Deftones(my fave band) have some rap elements to there early stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Any fans of DJ Bless aka Sutter Kain here?He plays what he calls Ghetto Metal.There are a couple of his promo videos on youtube.I wont embed em or post links as they are definitly not for sensitive types or family viewing.I have been listening to his August Underground album for a few months.He uses loads of samples from The Rolling Stones to Himsa.Good stuff IMO.
    Anyways,just youtube search Sutter Kain and check out the video for August Underground or Cannibal Ferox.Be warned though,it aint pretty.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Downset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

I was just thinking about rap/metal there myself, it seems that although when in the late ninetys it was really taking off it was eventually killed by MTV and the like with a lot of commercial crap like yeah Papa Roach and Linkin Park ugh..

The first Hed-pe album was pretty interesting, the lyrics were filthy though in all fairness, and Limp Bizkits first album was great from an instrumental standpoint, Fred Dursts vocals do grate a bit but Wes Borland is definitely a talented chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Korn - Follow the leader

Think they got the balance of hip hop elements & nu-metal just perfect on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

aerosmith & run dmc ftw:p

seriously,when i seen the thread title the first thing i thought of was the 'judgement night' soundtrack. some crap on there but some classics too,helmet & house of pain,slayer & ice-t,mudhoney:eek: & sir mix-a-lot!!!

great stuff,at the time i thought this was a whole new genre being born but somehow it mutated into linkin park,limp bizkit territory and went downhill rapidly imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

How about this lads? It's a band called Shootyz Groove. Kinda funk/rock/rap. Let me know what ya think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Funny how it's really only Public Enemy who go well with metal. Anyway this is just a mash up by Wax Audio (they do some ridiculously good one's btw) with Iron Maiden and Public Enemy. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I'd also really like to hear a proper mix of rap and thrash or something, rather than just some boring nu-metal non-event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 brain erection

i am trying to imagine a mixture of progressive metal and rap, but i can't xD but the bands listed here are the closest thing the world can offer,sadly. i know a good croatian rap rock band, but it's just not fun if you don't understand the lyrics, i guess...

i know a good croatian rap rock band
    Link please!
    it's just not fun if you don't understand the lyrics, i guess...
    What about pretty much any metal band where the singer growls or screams, doesn't that make the lyrics hard to understand too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

This thread brings back some long lost memories, seen Bodycount 2 nights running & Biohazard, one of the mentalist concerts ever, seinfeld the singer had warned the bouncers not to be pulling the crowdsurfing kids out by there hair, 5 mins later I was at the front and this kid comes over the top, the bouncer grabs him by the hair, seinfeld stops singing and BAM a full kick to the head of the bouncer !!!:eek: The power was cut to the venue, someone lit a fire in the middle of the dancefloor, needless to say the concert was over.
    We went out after, cannot remember where, but when we walked into the club the band where there, they seen the t-shirts etc and called us over, I spent the night pretending it was no big deal :cool:
    Great night

Advertisement