Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get two routers talking to each other

Options
  • 11-02-2009 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

How do I go about making this set up work:

Computer (wired nic only) > ethenet cable > ethernet port on first wireless router > wireless connection > second wireless router > DSL.

I've been using Google and getting nothing definitive but would I be right in saying that I have to use bridge mode? My routers are a 1.Belkin Pre-N and 2.Belkin N1. In the configuration of either I don't see how to enable bridge mode. Is it router 1 that needs to be the bridge? What else do I need to do?

Helps!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

The router you described as "first wireless router" - the one connected to the PC in your description would need to be in bridge mode.

Is the problem distance from the other router or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You don't need bridged mode. You can simply configure the second router to take a different lan address range and route the wan address to the first router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

I have an older laptop with no wireless network card (none built in and dodgy pcmcia slot). I have the spare router sitting unused. Thought i would use that to get the laptop connected to the wireless network and then internet. Other wireless device will continue to use the second wireless router (original router connected to DSL) as always, so not sure about changing IP settings on this router.

EDIT: On router 1 (connected to laptop) I changed the WAN IP and Gateway IP to that of the router 2 (connected to DSL) - 192.168.2.1. But they are both Belkins so they have the same IPs. So I have to change the LAN IP on router 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Unless either of the 2 routers can be set up as an access point or repeater, i don't think you can do what you want to do.
    Only some routers can do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Both routers must support WDS for wireless bridging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

The router the computer is connected to can be set as an Access Point. When I do this, the LAN and WAN settings are removed from the configuration menu. If I set the router as an Access Point only do I then need to go to the other router (the gateway) and give the Access Point permission to connect?

Thanks.

eman66 wrote: »
    The router the computer is connected to can be set as an Access Point. When I do this, the LAN and WAN settings are removed from the configuration menu. If I set the router as an Access Point only do I then need to go to the other router (the gateway) and give the Access Point permission to connect?

Thanks.
    Whether you need to give it permission depends on how the gateway is set.
    If I were you, i would disable all security and permissions until you have got it working.
    Is there an option for AP/repeater or something along those lines. AP on its own will not repeat a signal.

I'm pretty sure that if that option is not there, then it won't work.

Ok, just read your last post again. Its seems that it can repeat (lan and wan settings are removed)

Both routers should have different addresses. Change one of them by 1 digit. 192.168.1.2

You may need to enter the ssid of router 2 into the one connected to the laptop so it knows what network to connect to.

I may be misleading you a bit. I just checked a router I have here. Is there a "client" or "wds" setting instead of AP?

Advertisement