Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

be nice to retail staff week!!!

Options
  • 11-02-2009 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

last week mandate launched a campaign for customers to go easy on the staff as its not always the staff members fault !

have you ever worked in retail??
    post your stories here !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Why should we? - was in a Spar last weekend - €6 for a box of breakfast cereal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Nolanger wrote: »
    Had an emergency in the house and had to get toilet roll from the garage, 4 pack of andrex €6 what a load of c**p.

Rip off Ireland is still here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Obviously that is the retail staffs fault then?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

How about buying the shop branded items?? They are alot cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Stop chewing gum while you're dealing with customers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How is that the retail staffs fault they didn;t set the price they just work their,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Cabaal wrote: »
    How is that the retail staffs fault they didn;t set the price they just work their,

Exactly, most complaints retail staff deal with are stuff they have nothing to do with.
    Sterling prices aren't their fault, one product being discounted while another different product isn't is not their fault, the manager going in his break is not their fault, the economy is not their fault etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you really have a complaint look for a manager they get paid more to listen to people's complaints ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Had an emergency in the house and had to get toilet roll from the garage, 4 pack of andrex €6 what a load of c**p.

Rip off Ireland is still here.

Because I'm sure on their minimum rate wages, the retail staff are delighted to spend extortionate amounts on basic groceries, too. :rolleyes: Once again, they do not set the prices!

It's this kind of attitude that makes working in retail a nightmare sometimes- customers whinging to you about something out of your control.

''Why should we be nice to retail staff?"

Because even though ''they only work in a shop'', they deserve some manners. Just because certain people (not anyone here) like to think they are above retail staff, it doesn't mean they should treat them like crap.

Btw, I don't live in Waterford, but from working in retail, I'd love if there was some sort of week like this where I live. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

It's been years since I worked in Waterford, but I do hope this gets supported by the public there. And if it does I'll be jealous! :p

It would take hours to write all my stories about the joy of working in retail. I'll just mention how much I "love" people who cry "I know my rights!!!" because either Paddy-Jo down the road told them, or they've been watching US or UK tv shows about consumer rights. It's worth noting that these rights are NOT the same in every country, they aren't even the same up North! Go crazy folks - go to the Citizen's Advice people and find out your rights. Don't just scream at retail staff who know better than you.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories

Specifically these should be worth reading:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights

*edit*
    Here's something that should be beaten into everyones' minds from childhood:
    This act also covers claims about prices. Actual prices, previous prices and recommended prices of goods and services must be stated truthfully. Where a price is stated it should be clear what particular item it relates to. It should be the total price and there should be no hidden extras. If a retailer makes a mistake the buyer does not have the right to demand that the goods be sold to them at the marked price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yep, this is about par for this forum, the op askes for stories about posters experience in retail and right off the bat the whole thread goes off on a tangent about the price of cheerios. :rolleyes:

I worked in a petrol station and watched in amazement as a guy cleaned his entire car with our window squeegie thing and water as he neglected to the open carwash about 3 metres from where he was standing.

A top psycologist mind. Think about it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I once had a customer pick up a towel (in a soft furnishings store), wipe her child's chocolatey face with it, drop it on the floor and walk out. :rolleyes: That's some serious class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If you decide you don't actually want that frozen veg or burgers, or refrigerated meat or dairy, the back of a bread shelf isn't an appropriate place to dispose of it. And if customers think about it, destroying stock for no reason does also contribute to higher prices, to cover the waste you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

last week mandate launched a campaign for customers to go easy on the staff as its not always the staff members fault !

have you ever worked in retail??
    post your stories here !

Mandate should also launch a campaign to teach their members some manners, especially in Waterford. If I had a Euro for every time I was severed by a dog ignorant staff member in Waterford I would not have to worry about the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Its a two-way kind of situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Always feel sorry for staff in supermarkets at the tills.Seen it a load of times in Tesco's where the person at the till greets the customer polietly and are subsequently ignored or looked at like dirt by the rude customer or the one thing that completely drives me nuts is where the person refuses to pack their own shopping and waits till every thing is scanned through , says nothing and waits for the poor till person to either help em or just straight out pack the bags for em , while the que gets bigger.
    Reckon you'd need the patience of a saint to work in most retail outlets so I fully support being nice to retail staff.They take alot of crap and to be honest I've had more positive experiences with retail staff than I've had with supposed professional people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No amount of extra money the manager gets would make it ok for you to listen to unreasonable customers complaints!

Thankfully it's the one absolute gentleman or lady that you get to meet every day that makes dealing with the public so enjoyable.

See a similar thread here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055472197&page=2

for a good laugh though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 patrickstarfish

try being a butcher just after xmas when a woman rings you about there being no meat on the turkey that she bought .
    we ask her to bring in the turkey and when she does it turns out that she had loaded all her shopping on top of the turkey (which flattened it)
    and then she cooked the turkey upside down in the baking dish which in turn makes it impossible for it to be carved!
    what an idiot!
    and to make things better that b4 we discovered all this she was mouthing off to everybody about being ripped off !!
    is it the staffs fault for her stupidity ?

try being a butcher just after xmas when a woman rings you about there being no meat on the turkey that she bought .
    we ask her to bring in the turkey and when she does it turns out that she had loaded all her shopping on top of the turkey (which flattened it)
    and then she cooked the turkey upside down in the baking dish which in turn makes it impossible for it to be carved!
    what an idiot!
    and to make things better that b4 we discovered all this she was mouthing off to everybody about being ripped off !!
    is it the staffs fault for her stupidity ?

There is a type of woman like this in Ireland, who has the right idea ie if you are not getting satisfaction, go and complain.
    However she has no common sense whatsoever and thus all her good intentions collapse back on top of her.

Complaining to managers is something believe it or not that Irish people are not willing to do. I am trying to get out of the habit of 'well they just wont get my custom next time' behaviour. Dont worry about making a scene, if the service was sh!t, everybody will agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Be nice and pleasant to me and I will gladly reciprocate

• Advertisement

THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT ?????
    MY ARSE THEY ARE !!

these ppl must have no friends !!
    attention seekers the lot of them !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

I'm always nice to retail staff. Even though a lot of them treat me like dog sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Be nice and pleasant to me and I will gladly reciprocate

I agree with this. Remember the girl in intermission that worked in dunnes...if I came across a girl like that I'd have to pass some kind of remark about her manners. If someone was genuinely nice to me behind a counter, I'd have to reciprocate, no matter how my mood was.

I agree with this. Remember the girl in intermission that worked in dunnes...if I came across a girl like that I'd have to pass some kind of remark about her manners.

As would i. There is no place for that in retail!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Does this include barstaff? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Oh my god I could tell you stories People,

I've been working in Retail since I was 17, Seen it all. I worked in Traceys on the Quay (Many run in's with wineo's). But the worst bar none is the assholes I had to constantly deal with in superquinn, To many to pick a best story but one of my Fav's is one christmass an old one opened up a Box of quality street the opened up a tin.

She happily then proceeded to poor the contents of the Tin into the box before closing it and going down to the checkouts. I didn't see it but seemingly she went mental one someone pulled her up on it, Started claiming we were a biggot company because she was from the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

I worked for 7 years in treacy's/centra on the quay and have had many mixed experiences over the years:

- People who had a go at me about prices were always a pet peeve of mine. As if a 14 year old would have anything to do with the price of the bottle of vodka they were buying

- The reaction people used to get when asked for ID was another one. I'm 23 now and sadly look older but I still carry ID with me in case some one asks me for it. Its not my fault if people are too lazy to carry a 1mm thick card along with them in their wallet. Again I didn't care what age people were but I did care about been sacked if caught serving under age kids.

- The most aggresive incidents I had were with people who are so pathetic that they couldn't wait for the off-license to open at 8a.m. or even worse 12.30 pm on a Sunday and would threaten violence and even on occasion enact violence to get their fix.

On the other hand I've had many positive experiences working in retail

Many people who came in were genuinely nice people who I got to know some of them pretty well over the years and would still stop to talk to them since I left and there were always a few rough looking characters who turned out to be ultra polite and courteous.

It all depends on the person. I've been served my horribly ignorant people and have served people of the same nature. There's not a whole lot I could do about it but how much does common courtesy cost on either side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Those lucky enough to live near the border can get it in N. Ireland for half that....or less.

I agree you'd need the patience of a saint to work in most retail outlets so I fully support being nice to retail staff too.

we had a woman in once who had bought a deepfill pie slice from our deli and bearing in mind that it was pre cooked, she claimed after NUKING it in the microwave for 3 minutes when she went to actually eat it a beetle/like insect jumped out of it and ran across the table and she demanded a refund !!
    like WTF???
    you would think she was dying the way she was carrying on !

she was not impressed when i asked her if the insect had a red cape and underpants !!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

How about a be nice to dole office staff week?

Advertisement