Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

be nice to retail staff week!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Willow2ft3

Staff should always get the credit..its not their fault things are wrong in a certain shop......they are staff aswell as managers. Managers are also doing what their managers are telling them to do...you try being a f**king manager listening to the bulls**t. I like cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

I find most retail staff are fine, some more helpful than others but what I don't like seeing is some prat manager having a go at shop staff in front of customers on the shop floor.

That's like a red rag to a bull for me as I hate to see someone humiliate someone like that and maybe it's because as I get older I have less tolerance for such sh1te behaviour that I waste no time in pulling the manager up on it and letting him/her know what I think of their unprofessional behaviour.

Equally when I'm shopping I don't want to be witness to staff members squabbling or being nasty to each other. Not too long ago I happened to be browsing in a children's clothes section of a department store when my thoughts were interrupted by one member of staff having a go at 2 other colleagues who were about 15 - 20 feet away.

Not only was she bang out of order with that carry on on the shop floor but the colourful language she was using especially in a children's sections was disgraceful. Luckily I didn't have any children with me at the time. I got hold of a manager and let him know my feelings on the matter.

Fortunately most of my shopping experiences have been fine and the negative ones and by far in the minority.

I think some of the more ignorant and unhelpful staff seem to be in the more "upmarket" shops, jaysus if you want to see stuck up snobby staff then you'll come across some right yokes in Brown Th*mas in Cork. I haven't yet seen the likes here in Waterford, not yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 cooranig23

In Dunnes, I told my manager about a particular breakfast cereal the customer was looking for, he was really busy at the time and says 'Tell her we don't have it'

so I did

Later on that day, I noticed that there was like 15 cases in the stockroom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

cooranig23 wrote: »
    In Dunnes, I told my manager about a particular breakfast cereal the customer was looking for, he was really busy at the time and says 'Tell her we don't have it'

so I did

You work there, why didnt you go look for it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

My compliants about retail stafff are:

- They don't make eye contact.
    - They lack manners.
    - They talk to each other when serving you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

cooranig23 wrote: »

so I did

That's pretty common practice. I posted here a while ago about how my manager in a supermarket in town used to have the motto "fcuk the customer". Genuinely, if a customer requested any special treatment, like us going to search for stuff if it wasn't on the shelves, his motto was "fcuk the customer" and we shouldn't search for it :)

Ballybrickenman, tell us about some of the bad experiences you've had by shop assistants?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've noticed alot more impolite staff in Waterford than i have in Limerick. I get the general feeling from most of them that they don't want to be there. They should just quit if they don't like it that much. I worked in retail (and even worse, customer care) and know what it's like, so they have no excuse. Being nice and friendly is part of the job, and if you can't do that then you shouldn't be working that job, and have no right to complain if someone gives out about their attitude (i'm looking at a certain female in Spar on Barrack St...)

On the flip side, the staff of GameStop, Centra on the Quay, Centra on John St, Spar in Ferrybank, and most pharmacies are dead on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

i think most staff are great, its not very often i meet someone dreadful... customer service desk in the hyper,not so good...

I think customer service has improved a lot in the last year or two. I haven't come across too many that stand out and when I have I've brought it to the managers or head offices attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭skinnyboy

I'm working in retail for 8 years and have seein some crazy stuff and ignorant people,but if I go into work and I'm having a crap day and don't feel like being there it don't matter I'll always be polite to a customer say hello ask how they are and say thank you and a smile it costs nothing and gives the customer a good impression on the garage itself and more often than not the customer will return,be rude to a customer you might never see them in your store again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 cooranig23

what do people think when they see people slapping their children in supermarkets
    it's horrible, it makes me cringe, there are ways of discipline, but I would never slap a child

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

On the flip side, the staff of GameStop, Centra on the Quay, Centra on John St, Spar in Ferrybank, and most pharmacies are dead on.

I wholly agree with the above stores, especially Centra on the Quay. Great staff who put TONS of cheese in your deli sandwiches :D I literally mean fistfuls of cheese, it's great.

There are shops though that are known for either cranky staff or just poor service: Shaws for one and the staff in Monsoon are very cliquey. Hypermarket / Supervalu too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    My compliants about retail stafff are:

- They don't make eye contact.
    - They lack manners.
    - They talk to each other in a foreign language when serving you.

Agreed. FYP btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Hypermarket staff I have always found pretty poor in terms of friendliness. Superquinn are always friendly but then they are paid to be so it's not genuine. Best in town by some distance in my opinion is Debenhams.

I have worked in retail for the last 10 years (for the most part) and I just hate bad customer service. Granted, customers can be horrible and Christ I have learned recently how rude they can be as I never worked in discount retailing until recently but it's your job to at least pretend to be helpful and smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

ziedth wrote: »
    Best in town by some distance in my opinion is Debenhams.

+1

Hypermarket staff I have always found pretty poor in terms of friendliness. Superquinn are always friendly but then they are paid to be so it's not genuine. Best in town by some distance in my opinion is Debenhams.

I have worked in retail for the last 10 years (for the most part) and I just hate bad customer service. Granted, customers can be horrible and Christ I have learned recently how rude they can be as I never worked in discount retailing until recently but it's your job to at least pretend to be helpful and smile.

I've got to disagree about Debenhams, well the childrens section anyway unless you're happy with staff shouting abuse peppered with colourful language across the shop floor at other staff.

There's only one member of staff that I've encountered in Superquinn that's repeatedly as unhelpful as possible and she's known for it. The rest I've found very helpful.

deisemum wrote: »
    I've got to disagree about Debenhams, well the childrens section anyway unless you're happy with staff shouting abuse peppered with colourful language across the shop floor at other staff.

There's only one member of staff that I've encountered in Superquinn that's repeatedly as unhelpful as possible and she's known for it. The rest I've found very helpful.

I'd love to know who that is, I worked in SQ for years and management take a VERY dim view of bad customer service. Some of the soundest people you'd ever meet in there but some prize cocks balance it out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Old thread is old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Being nice and friendly is part of the job, and if you can't do that then you shouldn't be working that job, and have no right to complain if someone gives out about their attitude (i'm looking at a certain female in Spar on Barrack St...).

Haha think I know who you're talking about.

I don't think staff need to be beaming with happiness while working but they should be somewhat positive and responsive when asked reasonable questions. They don't need to be super-ingratiating but neither should they fix you with a dead-eyed stare and mumble "dunno" in response to a request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 wasislos

its not 'fagnks' its 'thanks'

its not 'queers' its 'cheers'

haha

• Advertisement

I'd love to know who that is, I worked in SQ for years and management take a VERY dim view of bad customer service. Some of the soundest people you'd ever meet in there but some prize cocks balance it out :)

It's an auld wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Ugghh I was in tesco lisduggan waiting at the customer service desk for a good 5-6 minutes today trying to do the lotto, while the woman behind the counter had a full blown conversation with a friend. Totally ignored everyone in the que, it was so infuriating I had to walk away. Going mad I didn't say something.

I don't work in retail but I do work with the public I would never ever behave anyway like that. And a lot of the public are unbelievably rude. You lose faith in humanity a little every day, luckily there's more good than bad though !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Haha think I know who you're talking about.

I don't think staff need to be beaming with happiness while working but they should be somewhat positive and responsive when asked reasonable questions. They don't need to be super-ingratiating but neither should they fix you with a dead-eyed stare and mumble "dunno" in response to a request.

Fairly sure i know who you are on about i have come close so many times to saying something to her or saying it to the mananger. I dont want to put anybody out of a job but she is such an unpleasant person.

Id love to know too. It was some place to work back in the day...:)

michellie wrote: »

I don't think I'd be allowed name her, but she's well into her 50's and her name is from her generation.

I don't think I'd be allowed name her, but she's well into her 50's and her name is from her generation.

Have an idea alright!

God definately don't name anyone :)

I know who your on about now though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe there should be 2 new stickies, one with bad experiences and one with good experiences on a daily basis, in the hope that management would see them and act accordingly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Ugghh I was in tesco lisduggan waiting at the customer service desk for a good 5-6 minutes today trying to do the lotto, while the woman behind the counter had a full blown conversation with a friend. Totally ignored everyone in the que, it was so infuriating I had to walk away. Going mad I didn't say something.

They're notorious for that in there. I wish they had self-service tills in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i work as a rep goin to shops selling chilled foods directly and believe me i see everything and put up with some ****e from shop owners so i defo feel for there staff and can understand why some staff do genuinely hate there jobs and feel sorry for em, one petty thing that i came across last week was a customer of a shop returned a pack of sausages that sell for €1.00 they were all cooked and she was complaining of a sour taste off em, she got her refund from the shop keeper and then the shop keeper complains to me which i politely told him in future if people come back moaning like that tell em ring the customer service number on the pack as that is what they get paid for!!!!!he sighed and walked away, i was in another shop one day and the owner was chawing one of his staff and then proceeded to chaw at me so i turned to him and said "do me a favour turn around walk away go home get into your bed and get out the right side" to which he did walk away and came back and he was more polite lol

Advertisement