Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

be nice to retail staff week!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Im a rep also, had a mad one last summer, a shop owner in Ennis gave me back a product that had been spat on by a customer, the customer (a woman holding a baby) was trying to haggle over the price. 29euro. He said no, the price is the price, then she spat on the product!!! nice eh? Its a pretty common thing iv heard, but you cant stop these customers from coming into your store. if you do,,, http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/traders-back-shop-owner-in-racism-row-119460.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

deisemum wrote: »
    I don't think I'd be allowed name her, but she's well into her 50's and her name is from her generation.
    ziedth wrote: »
    God definately don't name anyone :)

I know who your on about now though :pac:

Can I just ask about a procedural point here. Not so long ago a thread I started about a doctor was deleted because the person could be easily identified, I was told. The doctor in question was described in a much less detailed way than this person working in the supermarket. So, where is the line? I think as long as we don't name the person, and all accounts are accurate and not defamatory, there shouldn't be a problem.
    Gadgie wrote: »
    They're notorious for that in there. I wish they had self-service tills in there.

I worked in Tesco Lisduggan for a good few years, but it was before it went really downhill. Even towards the end of my stint there I could see things getting worse. The main problem I saw was staffing. As far as I understand when sales are dropping, head office in Dublin or UK simply look at the figures and say "ok there are less customers there so they need less staff to do their job" and cut the allocated budget for the hours there, resulting in less people on the tills. Instead of helping the problem, it makes it worse. I've seen numerous times, both as a customer and worker there the huge queues just to get served, and there's nothing more infuriating than that.

The head office policy (if I understand it correctly) is kind of like borrowing money at a higher price to pay off debts, it just becomes a spiral and drives away more customers. Instead, the opposite should be done, give staff more hours, make sure there are plenty of people on the tills and shop floor to assist customers and then when customers have a pleasant experience shopping there, they'll come back. Simple marketing really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Dan133269 wrote: »
    As far as I understand when sales are dropping, head office in Dublin or UK simply look at the figures and say "ok there are less customers there so they need less staff to do their job" and cut the allocated budget for the hours there, resulting in less people on the tills. Instead of helping the problem, it makes it worse. I've seen numerous times, both as a customer and worker there the huge queues just to get served, and there's nothing more infuriating than that.

So how do they operate the "one in front" policy?

So how do they operate the "one in front" policy?

What is that?

What is that?

I thought you said you worked at Tesco?

There's little comms for customers on the policy either in the UK or in Ireland, but the policy is still in operation, including in Ireland. I recently emailed Tesco Ireland to make sure.

Anyway, this is all I could find..
    Our "one in front" service in the UK (where we aim to open another till if there's more than one person in front of you) was so successful that we've been applying what we learned about staff scheduling to our international businesses. Customers tell us they're delighted.
    http://www.tesco-careers.com/home/about-us/visions-and-values/every-little-helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Can I just ask about a procedural point here. Not so long ago a thread I started about a doctor was deleted because the person could be easily identified, I was told. The doctor in question was described in a much less detailed way than this person working in the supermarket. So, where is the line? I think as long as we don't name the person, and all accounts are accurate and not defamatory, there shouldn't be a problem.

I worked in Tesco Lisduggan for a good few years, but it was before it went really downhill. Even towards the end of my stint there I could see things getting worse. The main problem I saw was staffing. As far as I understand when sales are dropping, head office in Dublin or UK simply look at the figures and say "ok there are less customers there so they need less staff to do their job" and cut the allocated budget for the hours there, resulting in less people on the tills. Instead of helping the problem, it makes it worse. I've seen numerous times, both as a customer and worker there the huge queues just to get served, and there's nothing more infuriating than that.

The head office policy (if I understand it correctly) is kind of like borrowing money at a higher price to pay off debts, it just becomes a spiral and drives away more customers. Instead, the opposite should be done, give staff more hours, make sure there are plenty of people on the tills and shop floor to assist customers and then when customers have a pleasant experience shopping there, they'll come back. Simple marketing really :)

That's a good point Dan, I didn't deal with that thread so I can't comment to be honest. If you want PM me and I'll forward it onto the lads and we'll discuss it then let you know. Can't really discuss it here cause it will derail the thread k? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Anyway, back to a customer service story. I ran an office supplies shop in town a few years ago and I had this one insane case. Woman came in very well to do and wanted to buy a printer.

She got one but was worried about installing it so I said I'd happily do it for her just bring in her laptop and I'll do all the software so she'll just have to connect the wires up at home. She brings it in anyway and leaves the shop, I try to turn it on and it's dead as a dodo, won't charge, nothing.

I see the Battery is all blue and so is the charger so it obviously hasn't been turned on in some time. She comes back and freaks saying it was working that afternoon and she had important work stuff. Long story short she tries to sue for the laptop and loss of earnings. We had to get it independently verified by 3 companies that it wasn't my fault.

Last time I ever put myself out that much for a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

ziedth wrote: »
    Woman scamming you

A lot more people are doing this now. Trying to get easy money. Maybe not necessarily like this, but nearly everyone is on the look out for easy cash, like small spills to slip on in shops. I saw CCTV of a woman who walked by a spill, saw it as she walked by, done a lap of the aisle and deliberately slipped in it. Scandalous stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

A lot more people are doing this now. Trying to get easy money. Maybe not necessarily like this, but nearly everyone is on the look out for easy cash, like small spills to slip on in shops. I saw CCTV of a woman who walked by a spill, saw it as she walked by, done a lap of the aisle and deliberately slipped in it. Scandalous stuff.

This has been going on for decades.
    I worked in Tesco Lisduggan for a good few years, but it was before it went really downhill
    I used to work there going back years. First when it was called Quinnsworth and later Crazy Prices. It was a horrible experience. Customers complaining over the slightest little thing and trainee managers trying to come across as big swinging dicks.

I thought you said you worked at Tesco?

There's little comms for customers on the policy either in the UK or in Ireland, but the policy is still in operation, including in Ireland. I recently emailed Tesco Ireland to make sure.

Anyway, this is all I could find..

http://www.tesco-careers.com/home/about-us/visions-and-values/every-little-helps

Lol, best of luck to you if you think Tesco actually implement this policy. They couldn't care less about opening up another till if there's 1 person in front of you. I worked there for 3 years and never once did I hear this term.

I've been in different Tescos where there have been upwards of 7-8 people in front of me and managers walking around don't give a toss. As I mentioned earlier, a manager I had there (who organised the place very well I must say) used to have the motto "fcuk the customer". If they adhered in any way to their "one in front" policy, then the self-service tills wouldn't be so popular.
    Finnbar01 wrote: »
    This has been going on for decades.

I used to work there going back years. First when it was called Quinnsworth and later Crazy Prices. It was a horrible experience. Customers complaining over the slightest little thing and trainee managers trying to come across as big swinging dicks.

I see you also worked with the guy in there who used to wear make-up! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Lol, best of luck to you if you think Tesco actually implement this policy. They couldn't care less about opening up another till if there's 1 person in front of you. I worked there for 3 years and never once did I hear this term.

I've been in different Tescos where there have been upwards of 7-8 people in front of me and managers walking around don't give a toss. As I mentioned earlier, a manager I had there (who organised the place very well I must say) used to have the motto "fcuk the customer". If they adhered in any way to their "one in front" policy, then the self-service tills wouldn't be so popular.

I see you also worked with the guy in there who used to wear make-up! ;)

No, I was long gone when he was there. Haven't seen him in ages, so I take it he has moved on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    No, I was long gone when he was there. Haven't seen him in ages, so I take it he has moved on?
    think he's in ballybeg now

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    i think most staff are great, its not very often i meet someone dreadful... customer service desk in the hyper,not so good...

That supermarket in the Hyper is ridiculous! Staff constantly talk to one another about their Saturday night out. I think that it is so rude when serving staff to talk to other staff and completely ignore the customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

michellie wrote: »
    Ugghh I was in tesco lisduggan waiting at the customer service desk for a good 5-6 minutes today trying to do the lotto, while the woman behind the counter had a full blown conversation with a friend. Totally ignored everyone in the que, it was so infuriating I had to walk away. Going mad I didn't say something.

I don't work in retail but I do work with the public I would never ever behave anyway like that. And a lot of the public are unbelievably rude. You lose faith in humanity a little every day, luckily there's more good than bad though !

I grew up in Hillview so Lisduggan was the nearest shopping centre. Once I got to the age of going to supermarkets myself, I basically never darkened their door. I don't think I've ever had a good experience there. The place always looked and felt horrible and the staff couldn't have looked more disinterested.

Does anyone have a particularly positive story about customer service in Waterford recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

The customer service that one of my teenage sons experienced in Jack Jones recently was exceptionally good, I was impressed.

The greengrocers in Ardkeen is superb. Very friendly staff and they have the best red chillis in Waterford.

Advertisement