Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virtual Radio Manager

• 11-02-2009 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Okay, we're all on here either complaining about or endorsing radio stations and programs, how about we design what we would envisage as the perfect Irish Radio station.

Taking in mind the best of everything we'll design the ultimate Irish station.

Things we're looking for would be:

1. Presenters - what accessible to Ireland presenters would be on this station.
    2. Shows, what would the running order Monday to Friday consist of and then weekends. What type of shows would they be?
    3. Station name - with the knowledge of who would be on our station and what we'd cover, what would the station be called?
    4. Ads - how many do we have (bearing in mind that if this station was real, we'd have to pay for it).
    5. Anything else that would benefit our station?

Anyone interested? Or is this another topic by the wayside!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Copy & Paste all programme formats from 'BBC Radio Two' into a new Station called 'Hibernia FM', nick some fresh presenters from Lyric FM, have the new Station run & maintained by (died in the wool) Radio people, get in a professional UK Advertising agency capable of doing 'local' professional Adverts, introduce a new 'slick' Radio culture, entice Irish people like 'Annie Mac' back into Irish Radio & get rid of any dead wood before the Station goes on air > start fresh.

Get rid of the 'Irish' disease that currently infects all Irish Strations > the need for Radio Presenters to be talking 80% of the bloody time :confused:

Result = Fresh, Irish, Easy listening, Music biased, happy, professional, modern, with up to the minute music > (proper library)! addictive format, complaint free, professional international news bulletins (ala BBC), Easy listening 'with an edge' > updated AA Roadwatch too -> professionally done this time!

Phew, rant over :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here and Now (FM)

Talk Radio with mix of current affairs and sport with commissioned comedy/arts material

Weekday Schedule

6 am News Briefing and full weather including international 'overnight' stories
    6.30 Breakfast News
    9 am Live discussion programme based on a single topic
    10 am Current affairs mix
    12 pm Media/arts magazine
    12.30 pm Comedy or drama series newly commissioned
    1 pm News
    2 pm Afternoon magazine with emphisis on "humanities"
    4 pm Drive-time news programme
    6 pm Business review and discussion
    7 pm Live football/sport (yes some rights would have to be bought!) when no matches etc on then sport based discussion panels with a phone in 9-10.
    10.00 pm News
    10.30 pm Book of the week
    10.45 pm Comedy showcase - new talent
    11.00 pm Review of the Oireachtas business of the day
    11.30 pm Repeat of Media/arts magazine
    12.00 am opt out to NPR

I'll have think about the weekend later! /mops brow

Weekend

Saturday

6 am News Briefing and full weather including international 'overnight' stories
    6.30 Breakfast News (yes there is stuff happening on a Saturday)
    9.00 am Weekend Business (a digest of the week and discussion about "big picture" issues)
    11.00 am Ireland Today - modern history series
    12.00 pm World Wide - as the name suggests current affairs from around the world.
    1.00 pm News
    1.10 Saturday Sport - live coverage of sport with interviews/results service etc.
    6.00 After the Whistle - sports phone in
    7.00 News
    7.15 Arts review of week
    8.00 Wheels - magazine programme for transport related matters
    9.00 Earth Matters - Green issues
    10.00 The Big Smoke - Dublin places and people through the years including contempory figures/places
    11.00 pm Comedy Showcase Compendium
    12.00 am Opt out to NPR

Sunday

6.00 am News
    6.10 am Weekend Business (a digest of the week and discussion about "big picture" issues) repeat
    8.00 am News and panel chat reviewing the papers etc
    10.00 am In Profile - interview with leading figures.
    11.00 am Earth Matters - Green issues repeat
    12.00 pm News and political review of the week.
    2.00 pm Sports Sunday - live coverage of sporting event, results interviews etc.
    6.00 News
    6.05 pm Ireland Today - modern history series (repeat)
    7.00 pm World Wide - as the name suggests current affairs from around the world (repeat)
    8.00 pm New Frontiers - science and technology - both practical and theoretical discussion (Donald Fagen theme!)
    9.00 pm Beyond the pale - places and people outside the self obessed M50
    10.00 pm Classic Comedy - archive material of two 30 mins shows back to back
    11.00 pm Classic Drama - archive material, one or two shows.
    12.00 am Opt out to NPR

Help! Can anyone come up with anything for the evening slots at the weekend? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Fantastic thread. I was going to suggest for the weekend slots:

1. Some form of comedy show showcasing new talent (Mike has covered that)
    2. A sciences-based show - The Radio version of the BBC "In Focus" magazine - think that's covered as well
    3. Maybe a classic show - I'm sorry I Haven't a Clue, Just a Minute, something like that
    4. I'd like a topical phone-in show as well
    5. Something like a "Classic Albums" show would be great....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Maybe a Stephen Nolan/Richard Bacon type show with a bit of Adrian Kennedy thrown in? Just a suggestion.:)

Classic Albums show sounds great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'm going to sticky this thread for a couple of days to give it a fighting chance. Lets say one rule: no criticism of anyones choice, just post what you'd like yourself.

:)

Science is good.

I'm trying to keep music off the schedule as its just too easy and given the stated format - plain wrong! Never heard Adrian Kennedy but late night phone ins are something else thats smacks of 'cheap'.

I like the idea of classic comedy or drama serials, that kind the beeb have got thousands of hours worth of in a tape filled basement somewhere.

Quite how my station could ever afford to exist in a market this small is a matter I have yet to face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

weekend evening show....a comedy show with guests etc.Similar to the one Russel Brand had on six music or Marcus Brigstoke had.

Anyone else going to have a go at this?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

For any weekday I think Today Fm with Off the ball (Newstalk) from 7-10pm would be the perfect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement