Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you charge for this job?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Overblood wrote: »
    I just didn't think that insurance would be important for what I'm planning to do, now eveybody is telling me I'm taking risks and cutting corners, and I really don't know what could go wrong. So I asked for examples, personal stories, anecdotes.

Would you need the punter's permission to take their photos in the club ? Would you be asking them for permission? Just a thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

No, why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

release forms?

If the pictures are being used for commercial purposes and you haven't got the subjects' permission in release forms, they could subsequently object to its use, I imagine.

Haha if you think I'm going to walk around and ask 400 people to sign release forms, think again! I'm not going to be making money off Mary O' Tooles face. The pics aren't going into any magazine or posters or anything. They're going to the DJ so he can show them to his prospective employers, hopefully the photos will boost his chances of getting bigger gigs in bigger venues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Covey wrote: »
    The comment was a general one and no I don't think your a snake, though maybe a bit foolish. Meant in the nicest possible way. ;)

Here is some good advice.

Great link, thanks. Since Im doing the (very) odd paid gig, what Irish companies are doing PL and PI insurance for photogs? Any ideas?

hu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

The company in that link is excellent, as vouched by couple on here lately. They cover Ireland as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I just renewed my camera insurance, and PL (2.6 million). I got a nice deal/price, considering the gear I have and the insurance I need.

I got my insurance through PhotoShield. Very nice to deal with and had my insurance certs very quickly.

It's always better to safe, especially if you make any money from your photography, or if you're in a situation where insurance might be required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

No, why?

Is the gig being held on private property, will the punters be paying to enter?
    All very relevant in public/private location

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Is the gig being held on private property, will the punters be paying to enter?
    All very relevant in public/private location

No it's being held in a nightclub. There is an entry fee. Is that good or bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Isn't there some home insuarance clause which states that home insurance covers reasonable use? Like, say, guitars at a gig?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

fee in is bad. I did an awful lot of nightclub work last year and the way it worked release wise was a disclaimer at the door, visable to read saying photos will be taken and if they have an issue to notify the management, no one ever did

• Registered Users Posts: 42 enzyme

I suppose the question is how good are you and what is your equipment like. Just that you are not doing it professionally does not mean you should completely undercut yourself. If you provide a professional product and a professional service that is what counts at the end of the day. You don't have professional insurance and other overheads that a professional have but charging €200 for 5 hours work plus travel time is nothing. Don't forget post production work. Your five hours will increase way beyond what you think. When you charge for a job like that you charge for the actual photography. Mileage is usually added on. And than the client (whether you are professional or not) buys a license to use the photos for their purposes only. Before committing to that make sure you and the client are 100% in agreement of what the license details are. You always have full copyright, which means once he starts making it big and plays in the fiddlers elbow in Skreen Co. Sligo you can sell licenses to other parties. If you have strong faith in your ability than you should charge at least double that. You are still cheaper than a professional.

Right so, the job is done, thanks for all the info, have taken it on board and I will aspire to be a bit more professional next time! I know the more "pro" people on this board hate the "how much would you charge..." question. It was only my second paid job so GIZ A BLEEDIN CHANCE WIL YEZ!:pac:

Twas a good night, no court cases. Here's a peek.

3284272331_59012d4f91.jpg?v=0

3284236527_9f5b5135a9.jpg?v=0

3285050922_13b29c01ee.jpg?v=0

3284224037_0dc04bf864.jpg?v=0

3284221333_7d5c2d166d.jpg?v=0

3285043060_5e1c631489.jpg?v=0

3285021168_a119ae1534.jpg?v=0

3284253995_0e7cab2ba6.jpg?v=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Right so, the job is done, thanks for all the info, have taken it on board and I will aspire to be a bit more professional next time! I know the more "pro" people on this board hate the "how much would you charge..." question. It was only my second paid job so GIZ A BLEEDIN CHANCE WIL YEZ!:pac:

Twas a good night, no court cases. Here's a peek.

I meant to reply to this last week. If I was the DJ who commissioned these pics, I would be very disappointed (based on the samples here). These look like snaps of mates in a niteclub rather than useable promo shots for a DJ. I would have expected shots of people dancing and enjoying themseleves to the music as opposed to shots of people drinking and sticking their tongues out...

Yeah for some reason there wasn't actually much goin on on the dancefloor:( (i'm guessing everybody was way too f*cked from various drugs, there was a LOT around...:pac:) so I avoided the dancefloor as it made the place seem pretty empty. Look at the amount of space between the people! This was at like 12am! The thing was already on for 2hrs at this stage:

H_O_D_2002350123-1.jpg

So most of my pics were of the plain 'ol drinkers! I always try to take as many pictures as I can of the regulars just chillin anyways, they love seein their faces on the Djs main bebo page, so I try to include everybody.

And I don't agree with you when you said that they look like "regular shots of mates". The "regualr mate shot" was the reason the Dj wanted someone who would put in a bit of effort to take better photos of everybody. And I did put in a bit of effort with the flash and 2nd curtain and different angles. I even had a lightbulb moment with my cactus triggers and placed the flash right by the Djs decks, and got some cool shots of him, which was mainly what he wanted. He was delighted with the pics in the end and has decided to give me a $$raise$$ for the next one:cool::pac:, bringing the pay to what some of you suggested earlier on in the thread.

H_O_D_2012250.jpg

Here's another guy who did a few tunes at the start of the night:

3284193837_d89c976e0c.jpg?v=0

Fairly respectable self promotion shot methinks. I can imagine text at the top or bottom of the pic.

And here's a "random mate shot":

332933511a9325445850l.jpg

Notice any difference?

Most of the shots of the night were actually of the DJ.

And hey I can only get better at this with each gig, and the Dj will also improve with me and figure out what he can do to get more people onto the floor. We're both relative amateurs in our respective trades and we're both learning. I have a few more ideas for the next one.

Watch this space, ibiza here I come! (well, maybe not hehe)

/rep repaired hopefully:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

H_O_D_2012250.jpg

like this one

Advertisement