Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator covers & problems with heat

Options
  • 11-02-2009 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I put radiator covers on our three downstairs rads at the start of the summer & they look great taking the fugly look off rads. However, the wife has being mentioning that the rooms are not as hot any more (the hall is always like an icebox).

Someone said to me the other day that the on/off valve has to be exposed on them. Is this true ? If it is true, do I have to cut a hole to expose it or does it have to be absolutly outside the cover ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

If they are thermostatic valves then yes, they need to be outside the cover completely so that they sense the air temperature in the room.

If they are standard manual valves then it should make no difference whether they are inside or outside the radiator. Any cover will reduce the heat output slightly as they impede the free flow of air over the radiator surfaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks for the reply Pete, How would I know if they're "thermostatic valves" ?

The heating system was put into the house some time after it was built & I suspect is not very efficent anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Thermostatic valves are usually big and have a dial on them (5, 4, 3, 2, 1 etc)
    The common valves just have a plastic cover that you can turn to switch the rad on and off.

They'd be thermostatic then.

do I have to cut a hole to expose it or does it have to be absolutly outside the cover ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

It should probably be exposed. They work like an ordinary thermostat and so switch off the radiator once the temperature of the room gets high enough. Obviously, if the thermostatic valve is contained within a wooden box along with the rad, it will get warmer in there then it will in the room. So it says "hey it's 20 degrees, time to switch off!" but it might only be 10 degrees outside of the radiator cover!

I have a similar problem in that my electrician put a room thermostat directly above a radiator so it switches the heat off as it thinks the room is about 35 degrees so I need to leave that rad switched off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Also review the following:
    http://www.sei.ie/uploadedfiles/InfoCentre/RadiatorsSizePosition.pdf

Bear in mind that an radiator cover will reduce the efficiency of the radiator somewhat. This can't really be avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Bit drastic cutting a hole in the radiator cover. Why not just turn the thermostatic valve up a little to compensate. We also put in radiator covers on our rads and I think they help the flow of heat because it is forced out horizontally instead of just rising straight up to heat the ceiling. Can't say we notice that the rooms are colder because of them.

Bit drastic cutting a hole in the radiator cover. Why not just turn the thermostatic valve up a little to compensate.

They're already up full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Johnnyr

The thermostatic valve usually have two parts, or the ones I have do anyway. The part used to control the temp (the black dial in pics below) can be removed by opening a chrome collar. This will then leave just the bare valve mechanism. Make sure that the valve is fully opened before opening the collar.

see below for pics
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermostatic_Radiator_Valve

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Dont go cutting the cover up you can buy valves with a thermostat sensor that can be positoned elsewhere i have seen this in a few places they arent common so do some research they may need to be ordered
    here is a example : http://www.uk-plumbing.com/acl-drayton-invensys-trv4-15mm-angle-thermostatic-radiator-valve-and-2m-remotesensor-p-1111.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

Radiator covers/enclosures absolutely hammer the rads efficiency.
    I'd say they halve it !!! could the cover not be removed and the rad painted ? the proof is in the pudding with the icebox room !

thermo valves need to be exposed as much as possible to the real room air.

the fact that they are always literally beside rad is a bit flawed but if your rad housing was made in a way that a hole near the valve channeled hot air currents around housing and out at valve then the valve will get an even more unreal reading and shut down rad way to soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭flatpack

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Also review the following:
    http://www.sei.ie/uploadedfiles/InfoCentre/RadiatorsSizePosition.pdf

Bear in mind that an radiator cover will reduce the efficiency of the radiator somewhat. This can't really be avoided.
    sorry to jump in but this link really annoyed me:
    i m not much into construction but i have house and one room with radiator position as in this pdf "B Positioning Radiators":mad: and that room is always cold, who ever prepared that documents dont have idea of practical knowledge of radiator positioning :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I have to disagree.
    You either have a heatloss issue in that room, or the radiator is incorrectly sized...!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

flatpack wrote: »
    sorry to jump in but this link really annoyed me:
    i m not much into construction but i have house and one room with radiator position as in this pdf "B Positioning Radiators":mad: and that room is always cold, who ever prepared that documents dont have idea of practical knowledge of radiator positioning :rolleyes:

I think the biggest problem with this location is curtains! If the windows don't have any drafts its fine, you don't need to pull over the curtains. But if the curtains are drawn now your blocking the rad, and forcing most of the heat up and out the window....

Most people will have curtains, and draw them so this should greatly reduce the cold air cycling around....

I don't think i'd ever put a rad under a window if i could at all avoid it... Also when not under a window it leaves you the option to put them back to back and reduce piping.... although it might limit you in the placement of furniture...

Advertisement