Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem, getting disconnected alot (UTV)

Options
  • 11-02-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Im not sure if its normal or expected but several times a day i get disconnected from the internet..sometimes the adsl light goes off on the router leading to disconnection and having to wait for it to sync back up, and other times the lights on my router are fine but i get a disconnected/reconnecting pop-up on windows alerting me about my connection..

im with utv 3mb and have been getting these disconnections steady for at least a year now..always tought it would fix itself eventually but it hasnt..im now guaranteed to get at least 2-3+ a day

just wondering is anyone else experiencing the same problem and what could be the cause of the problem..maybe the router (d-link), pc, utv or the phone line going into my router which is at least 10+ metres long from the socket to my router..

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Make a note of your line stats

then do this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

then make a note of your line stats and retest, see if things improve.

Better off following the above link before you bother calling UTV about anything

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Thanks for the help

my current line stats are as follows..not sure if there any good?

SNR Margin 7dB 14dB [Downstream|Upstream]
    Line Attenuation 30dB 19dB [Downstream|Upstream]
    Data Rate 3072 384kbps [Downstream|Upstream]

i did as much of the things as i could on that guide and didnt see much difference overall in the line stats disconnecting various stuff etc..i tryed a longer phone cable to the router over the other side of the house which is maybe 20m in length compared to the 10m im using currently and the snr margin decreased down by half roughly..so maybe its the cables to the router are too long in length..

would have liked to try a different router and another shorter phone cable down at the master socket directly into the router but didnt have a laptop or pc down there to monitor new stats

i did a rough diagram of the layout of cables in the house..the only filter i use is a adsl/phone 2 way filter at the master socket due to the fact the adsl goes up one side of the house and the phones the other..not sure if its correct though and in fact i need an extra filter at each phone handset still?

Diagram of layout of cables and filters:
    connectionsix4.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Getting a similar problem too. Thought it was due to the new wireless router modem, it's a Belkin N+. It had been running great until recently. Always had a very good and stable connection with the old Netgear DG834. Here are the line stats with new modem.

2rgp4t4.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

IgsTer wrote: »
    Thanks for the help

my current line stats are as follows..not sure if there any good?

SNR Margin 7dB 14dB [Downstream|Upstream]
    Line Attenuation 30dB 19dB [Downstream|Upstream]
    Data Rate 3072 384kbps [Downstream|Upstream]

i did as much of the things as i could on that guide and didnt see much difference overall in the line stats disconnecting various stuff etc..i tryed a longer phone cable to the router over the other side of the house which is maybe 20m in length compared to the 10m im using currently and the snr margin decreased down by half roughly..so maybe its the cables to the router are too long in length..

would have liked to try a different router and another shorter phone cable down at the master socket directly into the router but didnt have a laptop or pc down there to monitor new stats

i did a rough diagram of the layout of cables in the house..the only filter i use is a adsl/phone 2 way filter at the master socket due to the fact the adsl goes up one side of the house and the phones the other..not sure if its correct though and in fact i need an extra filter at each phone handset still?

Diagram of layout of cables and filters:
    connectionsix4.th.jpg

Your snr is pretty dire.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Now the internet has stopped working completely and no rebooting of the modem will fix it. Tried the Netgear Modem and that doesn't work either, so I suspect it's something on UTV's end. Strange thing is modem is syncing at
    Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 7616 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 672 kbps
    VPI 8
    VCI 35
    but it doesn't give an ip or gateway address..

(posted via 3g modem)

• Advertisement

Tried calling our own phone with no filters plugged into the modem, to "break" the connection. The modem then negiotated with the line and synced up again, but still no ip or gateway.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

dub45 wrote: »

yeah was thinking that meself..the average is 10 from looking at it the last day or so..gets worse in the evenings going down to about 6db and up to 12-14 during the day if im lucky..seems also when the wireless is being used by another pc it goes down to the 6db mark

if i turned the wireless off on the router and used two wired connections instead of the one wired and one wirelss would my snr go up or would i get a more stable connection?

also my adsl rj11 cable which is actually made up of two cables joined together half way up on its way to me are joined together with a two-way adapter and also run directly behind alot of electrical equipment (TV, speakers, electrical wires and alot of cables) isnt doing much good to the connection i would think..was thinking of buying the one cable that would reach the router and a shielded one at that hoping it would rule out noise from electrical equipment and loss of signal from having extra joints

also civilservant i would believe that becuase your not getting an ip address from your router maybe its a dhcp problem? is the router set up to act as a dhcp server

Advertisement