Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where Would The WWE Be Without Cena?

• 11-02-2009 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

What if John Cena never came to the WWE? What if he never existed, what if none of his title matches, feuds, or anything else altered the history of the WWE. Where would the WWE be at today? Cena has somewhat carried the WWE for a few years now, what kind of shape would the company be in if he had not been there to do this? Who would be different today? Would Orton be a heel? Would HHH be a face? Would Edge have been quite as successful without his matches with Cena? Do you think Cena helped or harmed the WWE and its image (he def helped make it more kid-oriented). What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

That's a huge question to contemplate! I'm not even going to try right now but i'm giving you props for creating some very interesting threads recently, brought some live back to this place, well done :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Of course he helped the WWE..As much as people say they dont like him..He saved the business...*awaits controversial replies*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

callaway92 wrote: »
    He saved the business

Saved is a little dramatic but he has certainly been a huge factor in the success of the WWE in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

WrestleMania 19 ?
    Kurt vs Brock
    Austin vs Rock

John Cena rapping during the countdown Heat tV show ?

WrestleMania 20 did pretty well without him also. I wouldn't say WWF was at a crisis point in 2005. But yes, I conede that he's "this" generations Hogan/Austin figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Saved is a little dramatic but he has certainly been a huge factor in the success of the WWE in the last few years.

Saved the business or the company?

And by success you mean the companies poorest ratings for a long long time?

Cena, as number one guy has done the job allotted to him, sell mega amounts of merchandise to the kiddies. But has he sold PPVs? I honestly do not think so. Has he captured the imagination of the public like th previous men in his spot like Hogan, Rock or Austin? I really doubt it.

Dos he have ability, no doubt. Could the company have survived without him, absolutely yes.

So, to answer the question, if Cena was not around, who knows? As it is very much a hypothetical, I would say that HHH would now have surpassed Flairs title record, HBK would have had a few more title runs, Jericho would have had a few more title runs, and Kurt Angle would have been the top guy for a few years. Rob Van Dam would have been given the ball alot sooner also. Edge would be in the exact same position, and alas, so would Christian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

John Cena main evented the PPV with the most buys of all time. I never said WWE couldn't survive without Cena, they could. But it's not as if he's been bad for the WWE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

John Cena main evented the PPV with the most buys of all time. I never said WWE couldn't survive without Cena, they could. But it's not as if he's been bad for the WWE.

What ppv was that??..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Main Event of WM23 you are talking about is it? I don't buy that as showing Cenas importance, simply because it was a big Wrestlemania where buys are usually a lot bigger than the monthlies. Now, if the monthlies where consistently higher on the cards he main evented, then it would be a different story

No one has said he has been bad, but has he been a draw? Was his 'big return' at Survivors a spike in the PPV buys (genuine question, I have no idea).

From a financial point of view, he has been great for WWE. But the unqualifiable is "are WWE in a better position ratings wise and PPV buys wise because of Cena"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

goflguy wrote:
    Where Would The WWE Be Without Cena?

Easy, it would be headlined by the 17 time World Champion Triple H.

Edit: I see gimmick already made this point. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

WrestleMania 19 ?
    Kurt vs Brock
    Austin vs Rock

John Cena rapping during the countdown Heat tV show ?

WrestleMania 20 did pretty well without him also. I wouldn't say WWF was at a crisis point in 2005. But yes, I conede that he's "this" generations Hogan/Austin figure

I would have thought he's this generations Lex Luger to Austin's Hogan.

But that's not really fair. I'd have put him down as more of a Bret Hart / HBK , than a Hogan or Austin. Not in terms of workrate, but in that he's heading the company in a transitional period. In the same way that HBK / Hart helped the company transition from the Hogan era to the Attitude era, Cena is doing the same for the Attitude to the PG era. I think we are yet to see a wrestler come through who can really define and launch the "new generation".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He's this generations Hogan figure but Orton is the Austin without a doubt.

As for where the WWE would be without Cena, they probably would have just gotten someone else to fill his role and be in a similar situation. Cena was fairly **** when he started so he only got good by being in the ring with so many main eventers which alot of people with his physique would have benefited from as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Cena was fairly **** when he started so he only got good by being in the ring with so many main eventers which alot of people with his physique would have benefited from as well

you are obviously talking about upw or ovw because cena was already very fluid by the time he made his wwe debut circa summer 2002, his first two tv matches against angle and jericho were some of the best i have ever seen from an unknown tv rookie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Many people are actually of the opinion that Cena has regressed since his very strong debut

Advertisement