Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband too slow?

Options
  • 11-02-2009 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

hi iv just recently got the eircom wireless home starter 1mb broadband but i think it is too slow when i click on my connection on my laptop its says connection speed is 56mbps is this speed normal for the 1mb broadband or am i better off upgrading to the 3mb thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

that 56mbps has nothing to do with the speed of the broadband connection, its something to do with the wireless router, signal speed maybe, i dunno, but i know its not related to your broadband speed, test your broadband speed on sites like this one http://www.speedtest.net/, this will give you a good indication of how fast the connection is

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

The speeds shown on your computer [12Mbpbs 100Mbps 54.Mbps 10Mbps... whatever] relate to what your laptop/PC is connecting too Router/modem it has no effect on what speed your connection to the internet is unless it's lower thatn your WAN connection,

EG a wireless A Router you connect at 12Mbps But if your on the UPC 20Mbps package the fastest you'll get on your laptop is 12Mbps

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

How fast are you looking for....are you looking for the fastest you can get or just a little jump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 blueoval

thanks for info guys just looking for the next step up so taught 3mb would be better and is eircom the best provider im currently paying €45 per month with phone line for 1mb is there any other better deals out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

blueoval wrote: »
    im currently paying €45 per month with phone line for 1mb is there any other better deals out there

Yikes! That's how much my 20Mb UPC costs per month and it has no hard cap (though there is a fair use clause of course)... and you could dump the Eircom phone line if you wanted to. Of course UPC may not be available where you're located but it's worth checking. And I imagine there are plenty more alternatives out there for that cost...

• Advertisement
Advertisement