Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Purchasing XP Pro Retail is impossible!

• 11-02-2009 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I can purchase XP Pro RETAIL version? I need this to upgrade a client from XP Home to XP Pro.

Tried Komplett, Misco, Elara and none of them have it - only the OEM version which doesn't allow an upgrade without a fresh install....

Anyone got anywhere else that stock it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Purchasing Windows 2.0 is Impossible!!

It's out of production. Gone. Finito. Vista Business might be your only option, but if you're doing that you're best of Waiting until Windows 7 is being offered as a free upgrade to Fista sales.

You're only option might be to call Microsoft and ask, but that's about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ebay ?

don't forget that you aren't allowed to install OEM on a machine that already had an OS

and the upgrade of an XP HOME OEM would be bound to that mother board forever

as Dartz says
    Vista Business and downgrade the license
    you also have to source the XP media yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you are better backing up data and a fresh install TBH.

Make sure to have details /sw /keys of all applications

ebay ?

don't forget that you aren't allowed to install OEM on a machine that already had an OS

Really? Even if the OS was Linux, FreeBSD, OpenSolaris ...
    Or what if you are given a case, mobo and unpartitioned disc?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yea, i'd be with watty on this one.

Sounds a bit odd..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

That doesn't sound right to me. Is that a restriction or is it just stipulated in the license agreement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

makes no sense, and impossibal to regulate, and pointless too,

must be a typo, capt'n probably meant
    don't forget that you aren't allowed to install OEM on a machine that already has an OS

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Dartz wrote: »

It's out of production. Gone. Finito. Vista Business might be your only option, but if you're doing that you're best of Waiting until Windows 7 is being offered as a free upgrade to Fista sales.

Windows 2.0? where are you stuck back in the 1980's? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Dartz wrote: »

how would you get free windows 7 if you have vista.Please elaborate because im in line for buying a new pc

If you buy a PC close to Win7 launch it may have a free update to Win7 with it's vista

BTW I have Win2.0 and Win 286 on 5.25" floppies if anyone needs it. I don't recommend it. Win3.1 was 1st usable version.

Embedded Win3.11 has only just stopped being shipped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

watty wrote: »
    Really? Even if the OS was Linux, FreeBSD, OpenSolaris ...
    Or what if you are given a case, mobo and unpartitioned disc?
    I had thought that OEM could only be sold with a complete PC or motherboard and was not a an after-market add on. Certainly getting a dual boot PC with *nix and OEM preinstalled should be OK. But buying a computer and then installing OEM might not be since you would not be the system builder.

https://partner.microsoft.com/UK/40047531
    Microsoft Windows XP

New Rules

After the pack is opened, the enclosed individual software licence(s) for Windows must be distributed with a fully assembled computer system and must be pre-installed. The individual software licence(s) inside the pack can no longer be distributed with a non-peripheral computer hardware component. With the new one-pack, the unopened package can be distributed to another system builder by itself, without any hardware requirement.

What to do if...

If you open the pack, you must pre-install.
    If you do not open the pack, you can redistribute to other system builders without any hardware.

OEM system builder software packs are intended for PC and server manufacturers or assemblers ONLY. They are not intended for distribution to end-users unless the end-users are acting as system builders by assembling their own PCs.
    I swear the rules have changed slightly each time I look them up :rolleyes:

looks like OEM can be sold on to end users without the hardware requirement :)
    but only if they are assembling a PC

then again if you disassembled a PC , you'd have to assemble it again

The rules are really about how XP OEM is *SOLD* not how it is used.

Advertisement