Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with dabs order (address verification)

Options
  • 11-02-2009 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I have tried to buy a new build from dabs.ie (an entire desktop computer in parts) They are now giving me stick about address verification. After jumping through a few hoops with emails back and forth they are now looking for a copy of a bank statement to be sent to them. :eek: To which I politely told them to go **** themselves.

I have already given them what I now see as too much personal information over email. Phone numbers and Address.

The whole thing smells of some sort of phishing scam and I am inclined to cancel the order. Has anyone else had trouble like this from dabs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The reason they do that is to prevent credit card fraud. All they want is to verify your address so you send them a copy of your bank statement with the transactions blanked off.

Never had that with Dabs but I have had it buying from the U.S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 theshadow2001

Sleipnir wrote: »
    The reason they do that is to prevent credit card fraud. All they want is to verify your address so you send them a copy of your bank statement with the transactions blanked off.

Never had that with Dabs but I have had it buying from the U.S.

Thats what they are trying to do. But at the same time they are arming themselves with a lot of personal information. Rule number one. Never give out bank details credit card numbers or password over email.

I can't even contact them via chat and there is no phone numbers on the site. This whole thing blows

Thats what they are trying to do. But at the same time they are arming themselves with a lot of personal information. Rule number one. Never give out bank details credit card numbers or password over email.

I can't even contact them via chat and there is no phone numbers on the site. This whole thing blows

Well, that's a good idea generally but they already have your credit card number, security code and expiry date. What would they get off your statement that would do them any good? Address? Well, they have that as well because you'll have entered into the account page.

So they have
    Your name
    Address
    CC number
    expiry date
    security code.

I think if they're going to defraud you, they don't need anything else. Sending these details through a website is different to sending it to an email address with the same domain is different...how?

If you're not willing to send the details anyway, then it's moot. Send them the details and get your stuff or don't send it and don't get your stuff.

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Well, that's a good idea generally but they already have your credit card number, security code and expiry date. What would they get off your statement that would do them any good? Address? Well, they have that as well because you'll have entered into the account page.

So they have
    Your name
    Address
    CC number
    expiry date
    security code.

I think if they're going to defraud you, they don't need anything else. Sending these details through a website is different to sending it to an email address with the same domain is different...how?

If you're not willing to send the details anyway, then it's moot. Send them the details and get your stuff or don't send it and don't get your stuff.

Any internet site that does business, banks, shops etc. make a point of telling you that they will never ask personal information from you via email. It's standard security protocol.

Having an address mixed with phone numbers along with a CC number it's possible to cause all sorts of havoc on my account. Even my bank account number with phone numbers and address can be used for certain criminal activites. If I gave up a bank statement and left the account number exposed, I will have given an unverified source quite sensitive information i.e. name, phone number, address, and account number, everything a bank asks you when you try phone banking. The bottom line is I can't be certain that the person emailing me is from dabs. With no way to communciate with them outside of email I can't verify who I am talking to . If they are from dabs, they should really rethink their approach to internet security.

Oddly enough I have just got a spam call on my mobile for the first time since I've had it (about 7+ years). Could be coincidence but....

Anyway I'm cancelling the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I did order at dabs and had same thing. I canceled and went to komplett again. I paid with pay pall and had never a problem doing so but after 5 days still not even close to delivery. I thought someting must be not right and then I cancelled to pay by credit card and my item was €20.- dearer!! Last time I order at dabs. They clearly didnt like my money or its a scam, why ask for adress details if I pay by paypall?? no need for that and you can not contact them beside email FcUk them. Glad I never gave them my credit card details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Was asked for an address in a separate email before when ordering from Dabs. I think you're being asked for excessive proof, to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

so you find it perfectly acceptbale to "chat" with someone who wants these details but email is a no no :| even tho alll they need to see is your address on printed letterhead paper...NOTHING else just your address.

ehh i can sort it out for you, i work for dabs PM me your credit card number and ehhhh i fix it for you.

my msn is scammer@msn.com

I bought a monitor from dabs last week, they asked for address verification i couldnt give it as i get stuff sent to my job as noone at home all day. got the monitor 4 days later.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    so you find it perfectly acceptbale to "chat" with someone who wants these details but email is a no no :| even tho alll they need to see is your address on printed letterhead paper...NOTHING else just your address.

ehh i can sort it out for you, i work for dabs PM me your credit card number and ehhhh i fix it for you.

my msn is scammer@msn.com

I bought a monitor from dabs last week, they asked for address verification i couldnt give it as i get stuff sent to my job as noone at home all day. got the monitor 4 days later.

For one the word dabs didn't feature anywhere in the email address.

Second of all at least the chat is hosted on dabs own site unlike an email which can be created anywhere by absolutely anyone. Chat is also the only "live" support they offer and it's far from ideal. Also I never said I would reveal the requested info over chat. But at least it would of been a means to sorting it out to where both parties were happy. (if it actually worked that is)

I had no way to verify who the person was emailing me. See above statement about chat.

Why don't you post your name address bank statement and phone number here if you feel it's acceptable to give that information out freely to anyone you don't know.

Not only does the letter head prove absolutely nothing about who I am (a fake one could be made quite easily) It adds further time to an already drawn out process. 3 or more emails from them so far each one is a day or more apart and I have made absolutely no progress in terms of receiving my order than when I first placed it.

No one. Absolutley no one, should ask for a bank statement over email. Unless your trying to scam up the place or represent yourself as such/

I have never seen the likes of it before in terms of internet shopping. Utterly useless.

Bottom line is I don't need to put up with it and I have placed my €1600 order elsewhere.

Having an address mixed with phone numbers along with a CC number it's possible to cause all sorts of havoc on my account. Even my bank account number with phone numbers and address can be used for certain criminal activites. If I gave up a bank statement and left the account number exposed, I will have given an unverified source quite sensitive information i.e. name, phone number, address, and account number, everything a bank asks you when you try phone banking.

Your bank allows you to transact business with just your name, phone number and account number?
    Don't know what bank your with but all of my bank accounts require your to confirm different details each time (DOB isn't on statement) and also a ten digit account number (different to my actual bank account number, 3 numbers of a 6 digit code, which also isn't on the statement.

All they could do with your statement is maliciously lodge money to your account :D

Having said that, the fact that the email address isn't "dabs.com" is a bit odd.

The guys in the photography forum often have to send a copy of their CC statement when buying equipment from the states.

I just dont understand when I pay with pay pall they want an adress verification. No need for that and no other company does that. I dont like ordering with a company who says by the first order they dont trust me and I have to wait a extra week for my stuff! Why should I trust them if they dont trust me? Pay pall is as save as you can get and the point is that I dont have to give my details out! I will never ever order with dabs because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

OP when i was asked for this I simply emailed them back my name, address, telephone number. Not sure what everyone is talking about proof?
    just email them these. IN the beginning of a ression there not going reject this.

and the reply was literally the next day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Dabs need to implement 3D Secure on their website so it's not necessary to harass Irish customers in this manner. The bank always takes liability for fraud where 3d secure is enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

A lot of websites do this now

A lot of websites do this now

We do most shopping on the net and this is the first time ever that anyone asked for this and delay your order unnessecerly (wrote that wrong). With paypall I shouldnt have to give out anymore details. And I wont either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Pixmania do it too, as do a huge amount of American websites if you order from them.

Advertisement