Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fit glass panels in internal doors

Options
  • 11-02-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi there

I'm looking for some advice on the best method of fitting glass panels. I have two internal doors - each with 12 small glass panes to be fitted. (210 * 330mm)
    The glass has been ordered and I am considering fitting it myself, but am not familiar with was sort of sealant/silicone I should use when fitting the glass.
    If anyone has any suggestions of what to use/what to avoid, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

If the glass is not double paned, it is usually fairly straight forward.

After you have cleaned the door and removed any of the old remnants, place the glass panes into the section. You can buy little metal triangle shaped tacks, called glazier's points, which are designed just for this purpose, and will hold the glass in place.

Once you have tacked it in, caulk/putty around the edges and over the tacks, taking care not to get any putty/caulk on the window itself or at least cleaning it before it drys.

Using a putty knife, smooth the caulk so that it forms a flat edge.

If it is not single paned, depending on the size and number of doors, it might be cheaper and easier to simply replace the doors. I broke a large exterior door once and replacing the glass would have been hundreds of dollars, but I was able to goto a shop that sells used building supplies and buy a new door for less than $50.

Advertisement