Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And they say Ireland has a binge drinking problem.......

Options
  • 11-02-2009 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I've never heard of someone dying from tequila shots here!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7883752.stm

Although I do recall attempting to sink a bottle of whiskey through a home made funnel (dentist chair style ) at a house party when I was about 16/17. Luckily threw up a lot of it immediately but still went mental and passed out in the bath in my own sick for about 10 hours. What's the worst state you got in your younger days??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Waking up with stitches in my face/ waking up not remembering being arrested the night before...the list goes on.

45 shots, Eh exhaguration if I ever heard!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its called alcohol poisoning, there's only so much alcohol your body can take in a short period of time before you die!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

At least he won the bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The worst state Pighead got into was way back in 92 when he had his first can of Budweiser. The smell of the drink reminded Pighead of how his recently deceased grandmother had smelt when she was alive. Cried for hours that day. Even now, the smell of piss brings a tear to Pigheads eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

When I was 14 I drank the most part of a bottle of vodka when I was bored one day. Passed out and was found in a pool of my own sick. Woke up the next day still drunk and got more sick.

To this day I still can't drink vodka and orange juice :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    When I was 14 I drank the most part of a bottle of vodka when I was bored one day. Passed out and was found in a pool of my own sick. Woke up the next day still drunk and got more sick.

To this day I still can't drink vodka and orange juice :o

/*Shakes fist at orange juice :mad:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

When I was 17,
    I had some very good beer,
    That I purchased
    With a fake ID,
    My name was Brian McGee,
    I stayed up listening to Queen,
    When I was 17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

Red bull + Vodka = me go bye bye

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

45 shots?? :eek: what size were the shot glasses??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

jack daniels is not my friend...we were close once but now *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

Went to a place called Zenits (I think) was out in Howth. They were having a "Woodies" promotion. Think it was 75p a bottle. I tried all 8 flavours, a few times. I stayed in my friend's house that night for the first time. I started the "swallowing contractions" on the walk home, to my horror she had a waterbed, at this stage the swallowing contractions were 1 min apart - I ended up yakking it every time she moved in the bed.

Imagine eating a watermelon, banana, some strawberries, few limes, oranges, apples, etc... follow this up with a load of alcohol and a few e numbers for the headache - then get on a boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

need to make tequila illegal now I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Have to admit, I was shocked at some of the 'specials' offered in trendy pubs in munich. In one small village outside the city they were offering a tray of 10 vodka red bulls for 20Euro, which all the teenagers were lapping up, and then puking up all over the floor. Needless to say, that particular 'special' didn't last long, and the owner upped the age limit to 21's after midnight of his own accord.

The only saving grace is the barman in the article will, most likely, be severly punished, and maybe even lose his licence, unlike here.

For example, there's a guy in my Dublin local in his 30's who's a roaring alco. Every weekend he's involved in some incident or other involving harassment of female customers, and arguements with other lads.
    Despite complaints, he's never thrown out because he pracitcally keeps the place in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

gavredking wrote: »
    45 shots?? :eek: what size were the shot glasses??
    The English shot is smaller than ours. So he's even more of a lightweight than you might have first presumed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

ScumLord wrote: »
    The English shot is smaller than ours. So he's even more of a lightweight than you might have first presumed.

yeah, this was in germany - aren't the shots in europe bigger than here in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My worst drinkking session was on my stag in Madrid where I drank a litre of Vodka (smirnoff red label) half a bottle of Malibu mixed with a 2 litre bottle of 7-up, all mixed up in pint glasses. This was all before we left the hotel room one night. I did drink more throughout the night but at a lower more normal pace. I can't remember anything after 10pm but didn't get home till 5.30 am. I was told two things, 1. it was a messy night. 2. Hookers don't like really drunk Irish guys

Smart Bug wrote: »
    When I was 17,
    I had some very good beer,
    That I purchased
    With a fake ID,
    My name was Brian McGee,
    I stayed up listening to Queen,
    When I was 17

lol what's that from. Never heard it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mytummyhurts

I'm usually quite respectable when I'm drinking I'm pretty much fully functional... and I don't get hangovers :D:D:D

However in light of this thread I must share a tale of my friends drinking experience which is only known to a handful of people...

Apon ariving home at 3/4am after a fun filled night out a couple of years back my friend "Marie" realised that one of the girls "Siobhan" was supposed to be staying in her house but was no where to be found...

After some more drinking with the gang who were in the house "Marie" decided it was time to retire to bed and she would concentrate on finding "Siobhan" the next day...
    Turning on the light in her room "Marie" was surprised to find what looked like a body in her bed, and so solves the mystery of where "Siobhan" was.

It may not sound very funny and it's not, but what is funny is that when "Marie" tossed "Siobhan" out of her bed she discovered quite worryingly that "Siobhan" had pi$$ed all over her bed....
    All "Siobhan" said was that it wasn't her

That's my story and it still makes me smile to this day!!!:):)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_glass

There ye go - germany is only 20ml. We're 35. What a pussy that kid was :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

yeah, this was in germany - aren't the shots in europe bigger than here in general?

yep, they're not measured, at least not the way they are here.

A barperson will just pour the spirit straight from the bottle, and if you're in a rural pub, the measures get bigger the longer you're there on the night.

beer bonging 2 bottles of buckfast in half an hour is worst i've done.

first half, wait two mins for 2nd half. then wait 25 mins and repeat..

didn't get sick unfortunately :( it jus destroyed my body for a few days.. never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The other lads have to complete a compuslary social training course:confused:

Probly involves going to the pub with friends:pac:

The other lads have to complete a compuslary social training course:confused:

Probly involves going to the pub with friends:pac:

and the social worker, who pokes you with an electric cattle prod every time you do/say something wrong :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I've never heard of someone dying from tequila shots here!

Yeah, the Irish alcho tends to make a life time habit of it, slowly drawing their death by booze out over the decades and impacting the vast majority of people in their lives in a highly negative way.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_glass

There ye go - germany is only 20ml. We're 35. What a pussy that kid was :rolleyes:

By my estimates he had 25.35 "irish measure" shots of tequila.

Blarney92 wrote: »
    By my estimates he had 25.35 "irish measure" shots of tequila.

Pft, I had 24 for lunch!

Would of had more but I was drivin :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Dragan wrote: »
    Yeah, the Irish alcho tends to make a life time habit of it, slowly drawing their death by booze out over the decades and impacting the vast majority of people in their lives in a highly negative way.

!Celeeebration time COME ON! Doo Do dee do!

On a separate note;
    Two men aged 18 and 21, who encouraged the 16-year-old to down the tequilas, were sentenced in November to complete a compulsory social training course.

I thought the Germans er....did away with all that...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

beer bonging 2 bottles of buckfast in half an hour is worst i've done.

first half, wait two mins for 2nd half. then wait 25 mins and repeat..

didn't get sick unfortunately :( it jus destroyed my body for a few days.. never again.

Is it wrong that I like the idea of trying this :o I remember beer bonging a six pack of stonehouse cider in about 10-15 minutes one time. It was sorta cool going from sober to plastered in such a short space of time. Back when I was younger though....prob too old for it now^^ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

The other lads have to complete a compuslary social training course
    Probably something along the lines of this

The most messed up I ever got was, and this is all based on anecdotal evidence as I have no memory of the night, drinking half a 2L of vodka and coke, the rest of the vodka, and half a bottle of Jack Daniels, and some cans somehow. Then some thing about jumping through hedges and thats it. Woke up back in my own house. I couldnt even stomach water for most of the day.

Advertisement