Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Questions

• 11-02-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

In the market for a new TV.

A few things to note:

Spending money - €250 - €500.
    Looking for a modern flatscreen type in black or silver
    Its for my bedroom so Im not looking for anything tip-top of the range,but would like something pretty good.

Any ideas on whats the best make in terms of picture/reliability/looks.
    Samsung/sony/philips any more?

Anything else I should take into consideration when purchasing a TV. (eg is it user friendly or not)

Is there a difference in prices in any stores, are any stores having a sale..
    what are the best stores : dixons,currys,harvery norman, DID Elec etc .. any more?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Any idea what size you want for a start?? You'd get a Good 32" HD ready set for about 500e in a shop. If you want anything less than 26", then you wouldnt have to spend anything near 500e. In terms of the best around that size and price range, i would say sony, panasonic and samsung are the best. I n terms of looks. No major reliability problems among those brands anyway. Panasonic probably are the best reliability wise, though. All modern tvs are user friendly too so no worries that way. In the shops you've listed there, no one is the cheapest if youre prepared to haggle. Go to all of them and see who can give you the best deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Any idea what size you want for a start?? You'd get a Good 32" HD ready set for about 500e in a shop. If you want anything less than 26", then you wouldnt have to spend anything near 500e. In terms of the best around that size and price range, i would say sony, panasonic and samsung are the best. I n terms of looks. No major reliability problems among those brands anyway. Panasonic probably are the best reliability wise, though. All modern tvs are user friendly too so no worries that way. In the shops you've listed there, no one is the cheapest if youre prepared to haggle. Go to all of them and see who can give you the best deal.

cheers for the reply.

Id be looking for something 26 - 32" . I was in my mates house yesterday and was asking about the TV in his living room. It was a 32". It was quite large and I would'nt mind something a little smaller although i still would be open to a 32. Does it jump from a 26" to a 32" , or can you buy , say a 28" or 30"??

"haggle" ?? - i thought you could only haggle when buying from the black market!

Can you really go into the likes of Harvey Norman and say i know that TV is 400 , but hows about i give you 450 and you throw in that DVD player??

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    cheers for the reply.

Id be looking for something 26 - 32" . I was in my mates house yesterday and was asking about the TV in his living room. It was a 32". It was quite large and I would'nt mind something a little smaller although i still would be open to a 32. Does it jump from a 26" to a 32" , or can you buy , say a 28" or 30"??

"haggle" ?? - i thought you could only haggle when buying from the black market!

Can you really go into the likes of Harvey Norman and say i know that TV is 400 , but hows about i give you 450 and you throw in that DVD player??

First of all, yes you would have to go from 26" to 32". No good manufacturer makes any panel in between. I'd strongly recommend getting the 32" though. There's never much in price range and trust me, within a few days you'll be well used to a 32" screen and you wont see it as too big at all. In most cases the 32" would give a much nicer viewing experience.

As for haggling, YES. Any of the electrical shops are well used to hagglers at this stage and i'm sure there'll be a lot more of them when people are looking for more for their hard earned money in these hard times. You have to prepared to walk away, though. If one shop, or salesman doesn't play ball, move on and see what the next place can do.

First of all, yes you would have to go from 26" to 32". No good manufacturer makes any panel in between. I'd strongly recommend getting the 32" though. There's never much in price range and trust me, within a few days you'll be well used to a 32" screen and you wont see it as too big at all. In most cases the 32" would give a much nicer viewing experience.

As for haggling, YES. Any of the electrical shops are well used to hagglers at this stage and i'm sure there'll be a lot more of them when people are looking for more for their hard earned money in these hard times. You have to prepared to walk away, though. If one shop, or salesman doesn't play ball, move on and see what the next place can do.

Yea your right, i reckon the 32" would be better value.

I never knew haggling was used in stores. thats news to me

Im so bad at it though , Id have to pre-meditate the conversation before it happened or else id make a show of myself. Id probobly ask about a 32" TV for say 400euro and if he asks if I was interested , I could say that a similar model was going for 375.
    Is there a good approach to use when haggling or any good tips?

Thanks again

Not too much really. The main things really are just to be persistent and being prepared to walk away. If a salesman thinks you aint leaving the place without something, they'll never back down. Alway say you've been to another place and ask them for some incentive to buy from them instead of the other crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

A small tip: You could always ask if the price on the sticker is "the best price that they can do" - most sales staff/managers have some latitude, especially with comparatively big value items. I'd be surprised if you don't get a positive response, if you don't, move on to another shop.

Ritz.

alright , thanks lads ! hopefully the shopkeepers dont have too much resistance!!

alright , thanks lads ! hopefully the shopkeepers dont have too much resistance!!

They shouldnt have! Their business is down like most business's so they should be quite happy to find a genuine customer even if they are a haggler!

They shouldnt have! Their business is down like most business's so they should be quite happy to find a genuine customer even if they are a haggler!

Haha ! yea, there will probobly be more tumble weed blowing around than customers!!

just one quick question Zonda - how much could i expect to be knocked off the price of a Telly? 5% , 10% more?? I dont want to push my luck when he offers me half price on a 500euro telly and i want him to go lower lol

thanks Zonda

Haha ! yea, there will probobly be more tumble weed blowing around than customers!!

just one quick question Zonda - how much could i expect to be knocked off the price of a Telly? 5% , 10% more?? I dont want to push my luck when he offers me half price on a 500euro telly and i want him to go lower lol

thanks Zonda

It really all depends on what you list as the alternatives, like going North or the Internet for example. I reckon you should be able to get 10% off a 500e tv, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement