Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carburettor question

• 11-02-2009 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

I've got a loud tapping sound coming from cylinder a little backfiring going on as well. Pulled the spark plug and its black (side electrode) and white (center). All this tells me from my research the fuel mix is lean. Cuts out too at start so it's probably the idle mix I need to look at in carbie. The bike is a suzuki gn125 (2003/4 year) and I'm trying to find where relevant screws/jets are on this carburettor to adjust. I don't have the manual for this bike unfortunately and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this bike, or carburettors such as these:cool:?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

38141 wrote: »
    I've got a loud tapping sound coming from cylinder a little backfiring going on as well. Pulled the spark plug and its black (side electrode) and white (center). All this tells me from my research the fuel mix is lean. Cuts out too at start so it's probably the idle mix I need to look at in carbie. The bike is a suzuki gn125 (2003/4 year) and I'm trying to find where relevant screws/jets are on this carburettor to adjust. I don't have the manual for this bike unfortunately and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this bike, or carburettors such as these:cool:?

Don't know much about it myself but i know a man who will, where are you based mate???

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

Don't know much about it myself but i know a man who will, where are you based mate???

I"m abroad for the foreseeable future

I'm tryin to get the idle jet tuned first, but unfortunately Its not accessible externally as the float bowl is covering it and must be taken off first. But doing this then means that I cant keep the engine running to check if its idling correctly. It means I have to take off the carbie, adjust the idle gas jet, put the whole thing back together each time and keep doing this until I get it right, i did it once already and it took me the whole afternoon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

38141 wrote: »
    I'm tryin to get the idle jet tuned first, but unfortunately Its not accessible externally as the float bowl is covering it and must be taken off first. But doing this then means that I cant keep the engine running to check if its idling correctly. It means I have to take off the carbie, adjust the idle gas jet, put the whole thing back together each time and keep doing this until I get it right, i did it once already and it took me the whole afternoon!

Yeah it sounds like thats the only way to do it with Carbs mate, fiddle with it put it back together to see if it works, if not do the same again and again until its right

By closing the screws on the jets am I increasing or decreasing the petrol going into the cylinder?

Also, there is a plastic cover over the idle(pilot) jet, is this to be removed or kept in place in order to ride the bike? What the hell is a plastic cover doing over the jet, that's going to block the thing from taking in any petrol from the float bowl?

• Advertisement
Advertisement