Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slave Flash's

• 11-02-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Well, I'd like to get my hands on some.

I started by looking at ebay thinking that it would be an easy find.... well it was not. I only found 2 of them and not what I was hoping for... well one kind of was. I found a tonne of sensors to turn any flash into a slave but not actual stand alone slave units.

I am looking for small slave flash units. Battery operated that will go off as my main flash does. I want to use them to highlight certain things indoors or illuminate dark spaces but there is no need for them to be at a professional level.

I was really hoping for a small unit that could be hidden behind objects and would operate on AA batteries or something.

Anyone know where they all these things live so I can see what's available? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

This is the cheapest way so far - works with lots of flash guns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

yea but that involves buying more guns..... Not was I was tryng to do. I wanted stand alone units.

Something along these lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Well, I'd like to get my hands on some.

I started by looking at ebay thinking that it would be an easy find.... well it was not. I only found 2 of them and not what I was hoping for... well one kind of was. I found a tonne of sensors to turn any flash into a slave but not actual stand alone slave units.

I am looking for small slave flash units. Battery operated that will go off as my main flash does. I want to use them to highlight certain things indoors or illuminate dark spaces but there is no need for them to be at a professional level.

I was really hoping for a small unit that could be hidden behind objects and would operate on AA batteries or something.

Anyone know where they all these things live so I can see what's available? :D

Why not just get the triggers and a couple of cheapo flashes ? I've seen little mini actual slave flashes around a few times, can't remember where though. Finding seperate triggers and cheap manual flashes will probably be easier and more versatile in use.

If you want to go the whole hog, I have an SB-26 which is a full sized pro-strobe from nikon that's a slave aswell (it'll fire off on its own in slave mode when another flash goes off in the vicinity). I'd say there are a few full featured strobes that have the feature. That way will probably cost you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

DaireQuinlan - That is exactly what I had on my mind. IMO, it is the cheapest way. You get triggers for a tenner and then just search shops and fleabay for cheap flash guns.

Are they cheaper? I was looking at the slave units and they are like 10-20e + a cheap gun.. hwo much would we be talking about?

I was thinking small slave flash units cause the 2 I saw were cheap enough (25e or so + p&p)

• Advertisement

Are they cheaper? I was looking at the slave units and they are like 10-20e + a cheap gun.. hwo much would we be talking about?

I was thinking small slave flash units cause the 2 I saw were cheap enough (25e or so + p&p)

well what was wrong with the 2 models that you found ? If they're anything like the ones I remember seeing they're probably IR triggered (by another strobe) and fairly weak, but they might do the job for just highlighting a bit of a scene or a subtle backlight or something.

If you want to go the whole hog, I have an SB-26 which is a full sized pro-strobe from nikon that's a slave aswell (it'll fire off on its own in slave mode when another flash goes off in the vicinity). I'd say there are a few full featured strobes that have the feature. That way will probably cost you though.
    I was looking into small potable studio flash lights. Something like this but thats probably next month or so. At the moment the extra flash slaves is what I was hoping for

well what was wrong with the 2 models that you found ? If they're anything like the ones I remember seeing they're probably IR triggered (by another strobe) and fairly weak, but they might do the job for just highlighting a bit of a scene or a subtle backlight or something.
    Your probably right. You 2 are right more than not ;)

So, come on now. Start giving me some examples :D

... bet you wish you had not posted now eh? :P

These are the ones I remember seeing a while back:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Lomo-Holga-WIDE-ANGLE-SLAVE-FLASH-w-colour-filters_W0QQitemZ330307176923QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Camera_Flashes?hash=item330307176923&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

They're a bit expensive for what they are though, and if you're looking at those studio slaves as being representative of what you want I doubt the above will really do the job :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Hi Dara, You can get this simple Flash with built in slave for €19.95 , see: http://digital.1k.by/photo-photoflashes/jessops/Jessops_JES150S-197208.html , drop me line for more details.

• Advertisement

I was looking at those studio lights cause they are small, portable and cheap. When I go to buy some I'll be asking for some recommendations as I am sure someone else knows more about this than me :)

Thanks ValueInIreland, I'll PM you about that as the website is in russian (or something close) and the only info I can find on that model is also in the same language.

Advertisement