Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increasing Number of Suicides on the Shannon Bridge

Options
  • 11-02-2009 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Has anybody heard of the amount of suicides happening lately on the bridge, I know of one person who had jumped from the bridge last month and this wasn't reported on the local papers, they are presumed dead as they have not been found yet - supposably a nurse from the regional.

Thats the recession for you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

I know from seeing a Doc on BBC3/4 that bridges are the most common for suicide

• Registered Users Posts: 47 chocoholic

Not everything that happens these days is a result of the recession.
    There is a woman missing alright. Please God she will be found soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I think the recession will lead to a rise in suicides, with all the money problems and just plain depression that talk of it brings. I mean, how easy do you find it to stay positive with every thing on the news telling us how bad things are and how its going to be x amount of years before its back to normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ilovecars

if you jumped over that bridge chances are you'd land on somebody else's shoulders..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

ilovecars wrote: »
    if you jumped over that bridge chances are you'd land on somebody else's shoulders..:(

Christ like, it's not that bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I can't believe the first thoughts that came into your mind after hearing about a suicide were: a) I better post this on Boards and b) the recession.
    Rebel021 wrote: »
    I know from seeing a Doc on BBC3/4 that bridges are the most common for suicide

I thought bridges were most common for crossing stretches of water?
    Something I've been noticing more and more over the past few years is the presence of flowers/other tributes left by bridges (not to be confused with hanging baskets for decoration). Most people just drive or walk past without even thinking about what those flowers represent. I suppose that thinking about them too much would probably get unbearable.
    ilovecars wrote: »

I only quoted this post because it's one of the greatest pieces of exaggeration I've seen all day. And I spent an hour in an art gallery today, so I've seen a lot of exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

Has anybody heard of the amount of suicides happening lately on the bridge, I know of one person who had jumped from the bridge last month and this wasn't reported on the local papers, they are presumed dead as they have not been found yet - supposably a nurse from the regional.

This isn't correct. She was seen on CCTV footage entering the water by the railings outside Clohessy's bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I used to work nights in Jurys Inn and if we called the Gardai about everyone acting suspiciously at the bridge we would have been done for wasting their time.

Many times the fire brigade(not marine search and rescue) were taking people out of the water next to the bridge. It never appeared on the radio or tv because they never died.

At least once every single weekend somebody was being pulled alive out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,799 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you see anyone acting suspiciously on the bridge pull over and ask if they need a ride somewhere

Overheal wrote: »
    If you see anyone acting suspiciously on the bridge pull over and ask if they need a ride somewhere

In Limerick?:eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,799 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well ... :rolleyes:

Make a judgement call.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

bantee wrote: »
    This isn't correct. She was seen on CCTV footage entering the water by the railings outside Clohessy's bar.

Actually, I believe you are mistaken as that is correct.

Two nurses went missing in that area (but not the same area), within days of each other. The first was seen entering the water and her body was recovered some days later. The recovery was kept quiet and her family buried her. The other nurse parked her car up beside the river and has not been seen since. There is no footage of the second nurse entering the water so she is presumed missing but it is possible (not certain) she may be in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Under the sea,
    No complications,
    Just friendly crustaceans,
    Under the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

In Limerick?:eek::D

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Under the sea,
    No complications,
    Just friendly crustaceans,
    Under the sea.

Love it!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

An File wrote: »
    I can't believe the first thoughts that came into your mind after hearing about a suicide were: a) I better post this on Boards and b) the recession.

I thought bridges were most common for crossing stretches of water?
    Something I've been noticing more and more over the past few years is the presence of flowers/other tributes left by bridges (not to be confused with hanging baskets for decoration). Most people just drive or walk past without even thinking about what those flowers represent. I suppose that thinking about them too much would probably get unbearable.

I only quoted this post because it's one of the greatest pieces of exaggeration I've seen all day. And I spent an hour in an art gallery today, so I've seen a lot of exaggeration.

Serious business the internet, jesus lighten up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

krudler wrote: »

Someone called for it! Better break it out.

4455normal_Internet-SeriousBusiness.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

krudler wrote: »

I have no idea what you mean.
    What's this thread about again?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

judgeing by the garbage on this thread, I take it it has run it's course

bye bye now...

Oh, and Ardscoil Ris, quit spamming the board with those sh1tty pictures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement